Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

He's alive!!!!!

Was off shopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bought this fella the other day :)

20160205_143319.jpg
    images hosting

Good man Reggie, the fleet is growing ! You are going to need a second tractor soon , what will you go for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Reggie. wrote:
    Bought this fella the other day

You going doing you're bales now instead of getting a contractor???

Bullocks wrote: »
    Good man Reggie, the fleet is growing ! You are going to need a second tractor soon , what will you go for ?

Steady on there bullocks :)
    But a wrapper might be on the cards. I'm informed that you will pick them up shortly in England for little money.

You going doing you're bales now instead of getting a contractor???

Yeah it's the plan. Will do a bit of hay for neighbours when the pressure is on too if I can.

We did 30 acres of hay last year and waiting on the contractor and rain due is what killed me last year after tedding for nearly a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

20160205_143319.jpg
    images hosting

We're you converted over to blue paint too?

emaherx wrote: »
    We're you converted over to blue paint too?

Not yet. That's tge previous owners machine. Haven't taken delivery yet

Reggie. wrote:
    We did 30 acres of hay last year and waiting on the contractor and rain due is what killed me last year after tedding for nearly a week

Ahhh that's a bastard. That's the only job for it so.

Two questions for the round baler lads here.
    Firstly how do you clean your baler. Powerwasher a bad job with the bearings and all?
    Secondly which is the best net or is there any real difference and how much is a roll roughly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Not yet. That's tge previous owners machine. Haven't taken delivery yet

Good man Reggie, & good luck with it. Ya travelled a fair bit. I had that one picked out as being a bit of value as well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Firstly how do you clean your baler. Powerwasher a bad job with the bearings and all?
    Secondly which is the best net or is there any real difference and how much is a roll roughly?

Blow down every midday.

Dawggone wrote: »
    Blow down every midday.

Yeah usually do that what the square baler. Just was thinking of giving the baler a good once off scrubbing once it arrives to give it a real good look over for any faults but just wondering if it's a major sin yo do so. I know the previous owner never washed it so it's a little grubby

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Good man Reggie, & good luck with it. Ya travelled a fair bit. I had that one picked out as being a bit of value as well!!

You must have been one of the 500 views were ya :D. Yeah all the way to kerry. No such thing as level land where that's from

Yeah usually do that what the square baler. Just was thinking of giving the baler a good once off scrubbing once it arrives to give it a real good look over for any faults but just wondering if it's a major sin yo do so. I know the previous owner never washed it so it's a little grubby

Thought that shed looked a bit messy to belong to your good OCD self.

I do most of the cleaning with an airline. But I can't see an occasional powerhosing, doing much harm, just don't go to town around the bearings clean those areas by hand. Give the machine a good oiling/greasing afterwards. (I will surely be told off shortly)

I have a class 46 standard baler which I run on a 390T or 698T, both of these tractors have the same engine as your 398 and run the baler comfortably but I wonder if the chopper unit in your baler will be asking a lot of the tractor?

On nets I find they vary hugely and larger 3000m nets of lower quality tear rather than feed until you get down to about 2500m. Nets that start at 2500 rarely give trouble and are easier to load. Red setter nets I find very good. I don't usually do the purchasing so usually have to make do with what I'm given.

I do most of the cleaning with an airline. But I can't see an occasional powerhosing, doing much harm, just don't go to town around the bearings clean those areas by hand. Give the machine a good oiling/greasing afterwards. (I will surely be told off shortly)

I have a class 46 standard baler which I run on a 390T or 698T, both of these tractors have the same engine as your 398 and run the baler comfortably but I wonder if the chopper unit in your baler will be asking a lot of the tractor?

On nets I find they vary hugely and larger 3000m nets of lower quality tear rather than feed until you get down to about 2500m. Nets that start at 2500 rarely give trouble and are easier to load. Red setter nets I find very good. I don't usually do the purchasing so usually have to make do with what I'm given.

It's not best practice to powerwash at the end of season or the off season.
    Powerwash the day before commencing work. Blowing down with a good compressor is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

20160205_143319.jpg
    images hosting

Dont they have problems with the back door or is that a different version

keep going wrote: »
    Dont they have problems with the back door or is that a different version

Sometimes the valve for keeping the door shut gives bother in them alright

Dawggone wrote: »
    It's not best practice to powerwash at the end of season or the off season.
    Powerwash the day before commencing work. Blowing down with a good compressor is the way to go.

Be that as it may Dawg but the last owner didn't clean it down after last season so an air hose might not get it out as it's damp now. I'll have to assess it when it arrives but I'd say I'll give it a quick wash, grease it and then run it for a half hour before putting it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

We used to have 1,don't think the father or uncle rated too highly of them,think they had problem with applying the net,I'll ask the father when he gets back what faults they have if you want.

IH784man wrote: »
    We used to have 1,don't think the father or uncle rated too highly of them,think they had problem with applying the net,I'll ask the father when he gets back what faults they have if you want.

If the net is put in too low from the feed roller it can get wrapped around the main roller underneath maybe that's the one. I know the gearbox can be weak where it meets chassis but it's been reinforced on this one and the bottom of the door ram can break. This happened aswell but was professionally fixed. I barely noticed it till the owner pointed it out to me.

• Advertisement

Hopefully she will be fine. She was worked off a FIAT 100/90 upto now and was told the chopper was no hassle to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Hopefully she will be fine. She was worked off a FIAT 100/90 upto now and was told the chopper was no hassle to it.

Wonder how many horses was she putting out had a 110 90 doing 145 on the shaft.

td5man wrote: »

I had a 160-90 that was putting that out.
    Did someone get carried away when winding it up?

td5man wrote: »

Think someone was messing with the spanners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Think someone was messing with the spanners

And added a turbo.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Be that as it may Dawg but the last owner didn't clean it down after last season so an air hose might not get it out as it's damp now. I'll have to assess it when it arrives but I'd say I'll give it a quick wash, grease it and then run it for a half hour before putting it away.
    If you are going to wash it...steam clean it....leave it running as you do
    **be extra careful for safety

If you are going to wash it...steam clean it....leave it running as you do
    **be extra careful for safety

Got it yesterday. Def needs a wash after the trip on the lorry. Covered in salt and any hay in it is soaked

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Carrigogunnell

We use goldcrop it's blue and orange on the ends fine it very good. But of advice on the net system for start of season the net weaves in between 5 bars make sure to give them a rub of sand paper and also if ur getting problem with it taking it in maybe only run it through the 3 bars until the roll get lighter. Not sure how much bailing experience u have reggie. Is the the back left ram that has being welded it's happened every one of them. The 2 back door rams run at different angles and its that one that give. Well wear very tidy looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Looking at buying a Lynch trailer. The multi purpose one with the drop down sides. rang them yesterday got quoted €11,500 for one with a hydraulic back door, brake away device and removable high sides. Any opinions experiences with them ??

We use goldcrop it's blue and orange on the ends fine it very good. But of advice on the net system for start of season the net weaves in between 5 bars make sure to give them a rub of sand paper and also if ur getting problem with it taking it in maybe only run it through the 3 bars until the roll get lighter. Not sure how much bailing experience u have reggie. Is the the back left ram that has being welded it's happened every one of them. The 2 back door rams run at different angles and its that one that give. Well wear very tidy looking.

Yeah it's the back left one as you look at it from the rear. As for the net system I only have 3 bars on mine not 5. Mine has net and twine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Yeah it's the back left one as you look at it from the rear. As for the net system I only have 3 bars on mine not 5. Mine has net and twine

Best of luck with it ,I have its twin here and have been doing my own baling for the last ten years.
    Three stainless bars that the net passes through.Then Two rollers at the top where it feeds in the net, a rubber coated one and a plain steel one about 40mm diameter.Keep the steel one clean (light sandpaper)
    The net brake is a "learn as you go job". Usually leave it it off the roll altogether when the roll of net is new .When the roll gets small and light (half gone) then lean in the brake.
    I have used red setter net /Tama and several other spurious brands and never seen much difference in them.
    I have baled with Ts 115 Jd 3050 3350 no bother.
    Hard to make a tight bale with them .If you have time check the condition of the chains, if the are worn the will let you down .The are cheap and easy to replace .
    Some lads drop off the chains and spin each roller and listen for Rumbles.

Best of luck with it ,I have its twin here and have been doing my own baling for the last ten years.
    Three stainless bars that the net passes through.Then Two rollers at the top where it feeds in the net, a rubber coated one and a plain steel one about 40mm diameter.Keep the steel one clean (light sandpaper)
    The net brake is a "learn as you go job". Usually leave it it off the roll altogether when the roll of net is new .When the roll gets small and light (half gone) then lean in the brake.
    I have used red setter net /Tama and several other spurious brands and never seen much difference in them.
    I have baled with Ts 115 Jd 3050 3350 no bother.
    Hard to make a tight bale with them .If you have time check the condition of the chains, if the are worn the will let you down .The are cheap and easy to replace .
    Some lads drop off the chains and spin each roller and listen for Rumbles.

Ah yeah I know what ya mean now. The wheels on her are too big I reckon. Might have to put smaller ones on as she is at a steep angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

Ah yeah I know what ya mean now. The wheels on her are too big I reckon. Might have to put smaller ones on as she is at a steep angle.

Can you adjust the drawbar on the baler Reggie? The decals should be level.
    What clevis hitch have you on the 398?

Can you adjust the drawbar on the baler Reggie? The decals should be level.
    What clevis hitch have you on the 398?

I'd can be adjusted but not enough by the looks of it. Thinking of putting on 500/50 17s on her. That would drop the axle by about 6 inches which might help it. The tires on her are 4ft tall atm off a tanker I think. Don't know if 400s would be wide enough.

The hitch is the old massey one

I'd can be adjusted but not enough by the looks of it. Thinking of putting on 500/50 17s on her. That would drop the axle by about 6 inches which might help it. The tires on her are 4ft tall atm off a tanker I think. Don't know if 400s would be wide enough.

The hitch is the old massey one

The one that clips onto the pick up hitch hook?

Ya, between the lower wheels and adjusting the drawbar, it should be fine.

The one that clips onto the pick up hitch hook?

Ya, between the lower wheels and adjusting the drawbar, it should be fine.

That's it. The last piece of the drawbar looks like it was dropped as the eye is worn at an angle even tho it was meant to be left level with the ground. So could gain a few extra inches off that

That's it. The last piece of the drawbar looks like it was dropped as the eye is worn at an angle even tho it was meant to be left level with the ground. So could gain a few extra inches off that

You're sorted so. I never baled with a claas.
    Welger, deere and mchale only. Claas are supposedly good to take in grass.
    Well wear too btw!

You're sorted so. I never baled with a claas.
    Welger, deere and mchale only. Claas are supposedly good to take in grass.
    Well wear too btw!

Ah was looking at welgers but any in my price range were worn out and high money.

Reggie I found the hitches on both the 698T and 390T too low to the ground, even sometimes with heavy crops grass would catch around the hitch and push up in a lump and the inevitably block the baler. So I use a hitch above the PTO for baling which might help with your issue too.

Sorry photo is not great but its a little out of season to be taking a good one for you.
    24976317486_21d4c587f8_c.jpg

Hitch looks something like this, nearest thing I could find on google images.
    24909338891_8d4fe53866_c.jpg

• Advertisement

Reggie I found the hitches on both the 698T and 390T too low to the ground, even sometimes with heavy crops grass would catch around the hitch and push up in a lump and the inevitably block the baler. So I use a hitch above the PTO for baling which might help with your issue too.

Sorry photo is not great but its a little out of season to be taking a good one for you.
    24976317486_21d4c587f8_c.jpg

Hitch looks something like this, nearest thing I could find on google images.
    24909338891_8d4fe53866_c.jpg

I think I have a hitch like that in a shed. A local fella here who has similar problems does wrap a meal bag around the hitch so the grass doesn't gather up the crop. Don't know if this will cure the same issue but his hitch isn't much higher tho as it is a Dromone hitch

I think I have a hitch like that in a shed. A local fella here who has similar problems does wrap a meal bag around the hitch so the grass doesn't gather up the crop. Don't know if this will cure the same issue but his hitch isn't much higher tho as it is a Dromone hitch

Any Dromore hitch I've seen tend to be well off the ground. Hitches on 4300 masseys would be a few inches higher than the 300 series

Any Dromore hitch I've seen tend to be well off the ground. Hitches on 4300 masseys would be a few inches higher than the 300 series

I have faith in my little 300. So there :P

I have faith in my little 300. So there :P

You're going to have to upgrade at some stage Reggie. I suggest a Case fot a bit of comfort and you wont have to worry about a bit of grass fudging the hitch on it !

You're going to have to upgrade at some stage Reggie. I suggest a Case fot a bit of comfort and you wont have to worry about a bit of grass fudging the hitch on it !

Go climb back under that rock you came from :D
    I'd say if I do upgrade and change it will be a NH. On a plus note the new trailers coming next sat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Reggie. wrote:

An election poster would be ideal for it if you could tie it up underneath and there's plenty around! Might be a better use for the poster!!!

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote:
    Go climb back under that rock you came from I'd say if I do upgrade and change it will be a NH. On a plus note the new trailers coming next sat

Why nh and not an mf againn????

Go climb back under that rock you came from :D
    I'd say if I do upgrade and change it will be a NH. On a plus note the new trailers coming next sat :D
    Yer a mighty man for picking up machinery , I'd be divorced ! Not at all jealous .

If I had to change brands I meant

Yer a mighty man for picking up machinery , I'd be divorced ! Not at all jealous .

Nearly was myself this evening. Totaled up the cost of machinery the last 12 months and made the mistake of doing it within earshot of the kitchen commander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Stronger back ends???

As talking to lads who went to the ploughing....the smallness of the new Massey back ends (particular 56series) was a source of conversation given there supposed horsepower...would they over heat in sustained work

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement