Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

MfMan wrote: »
    A problem with the topper; either the splines on the stub shaft have worn down or the grooves from the shaft itself have. Either way, the shaft is no longer gripping the stub on the gearbox. I've no play/leeway on the shaft to remove it to investigate, so what to do? Will I have to loosen the gearbox and lift it up from the frame to allow me take the shaft apart? If the stub shaft itself is worn, can it be replaced on it's own or will the whole gearbox have to be swapped?

From pics it looks like gearbox off job. You should be able to get the shaft on its own, also a gear cutting machine shop wold be able to re-cut the splines. Unusual failure on a fresh looking topper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think heat it to the left of the shear bolt, tap it all round with a hammer and then pull it off.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Strip out the pto centre by taking out the circlips etc to get room, then take off the shear bolt end to see whats what like reggie mentioned may be a rubber bush thats given out to take the strain or something small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Milton09 wrote: »
    From pics it looks like gearbox off job. You should be able to get the shaft on its own, also a gear cutting machine shop wold be able to re-cut the splines. Unusual failure on a fresh looking topper.

This is the handiest way as it's just 5 bolts to remove the blades/gearbox. Better to just replace the gearbox at this stage as the shaft might be seized to the splines. You'll have to disconnect both shafts tho to release the gearbox. Also the rubber bushing between the two drive shafts will have to be removed. Hard to see but it looks like the first gearbox on the topper. Unusal for that to happen in the first place as the shearbolts should have broke before the splines were rounded off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

No, I loosened it so that both halves of the shaft could be separated.

What happens when your turning the shaft? ??

Take bolto off top of box and see??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Thanks for all the replies. It's actually a Connor topper, but the gearboxes, probably Comer, are all standard on them anyway I think. The gearbox is indeed serving the first rotor and there is a rubber bushing further out on the shaft before the second box. Have it 7/8 years but try to mind it as well as possible and give it a good washing and greasing at season's end.

Was showing it to a couple of experienced lads here and they were also quite surprised at the splines wearing. Maybe the shearbolt was graded too strongly? Will probably have to lift up either that gearbox or the one coming back from the tractor PTO in order to get the connecting shaft out. Probably the former, which will entail lifting the entire machine up and taking off the rotor first. Might also be just as cheap to replace the whole gearbox. Either way, won't be too cheap or labour-free I fear. :-(

Thanks for all the replies. It's actually a Connor topper, but the gearboxes, probably Comer, are all standard on them anyway I think. The gearbox is indeed serving the first rotor and there is a rubber bushing further out on the shaft before the second box. Have it 7/8 years but try to mind it as well as possible and give it a good washing and greasing at season's end.

Was showing it to a couple of experienced lads here and they were also quite surprised at the splines wearing. Maybe the shearbolt was graded too strongly? Will probably have to lift up either that gearbox or the one coming back from the tractor PTO in order to get the connecting shaft out. Probably the former, which will entail lifting the entire machine up and taking off the rotor first. Might also be just as cheap to replace the whole gearbox. Either way, won't be too cheap or labour-free I fear. :-(

Ah if it's anything like a major topper 2 hours should have the gearbox switched around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

A problem with the topper; either the splines on the stub shaft have worn down or the grooves from the shaft itself have. Either way, the shaft is no longer gripping the stub on the gearbox. I've no play/leeway on the shaft to remove it to investigate, so what to do? Will I have to loosen the gearbox and lift it up from the frame to allow me take the shaft apart? If the stub shaft itself is worn, can it be replaced on it's own or will the whole gearbox have to be swapped?

20160728_173946.jpg
    20160728_173937.jpg

We had to replace that box on ours after a tooth broke off a gear, it's not a major job at all to remove it, slide off the shaft the shear bolt is in, take off the blade carrier underneath then take out the 4 bolts holding in the box, and just take 3 of the 6 bolts out of the rubber donut and you should manage to get it up out of it.

Apparently the don't bother to sell parts for the boxes anymore just replace the whole unit :/ round the €300 mark too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭kay 9

What number is stamped on the "shear bolt" head? That's a very unusual scenario if it's not just seized on there. I always have the shear bolt on the tractor end as it seems easier to access due to the black cover on the majors

• Advertisement

kay 9 wrote: »
    What number is stamped on the "shear bolt" head? That's a very unusual scenario if it's not just seized on there. I always have the shear bolt on the tractor end as it seems easier to access due to the black cover on the majors

Would you not be afraid the shaft would twist/get damaged before shock would get to shear bolt???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

kay 9 wrote: »

Umm... 6.8 I think? Was talking to a Conor lad, he'd be very surprised if the gearbox shaft splines were worn; suggested it's more likely the knuckle shaft ones. In which case, loosen the tractor PTO gearbox, lift up and pull apart.

Are these knuckle shafts standard? Conor don't make toppers anymore, weren't being rewarded properly for them apparently. Thus, parts could be difficult to source. (A pity, this one is quite tough and sturdy.)

Would you not be afraid the shaft would twist/get damaged before shock would get to shear bolt???
    I've actually been thinking about that since and might change that practice. Makes more sense. Been doing it like that for yrs with no problems but that doesn't warrant it being ok

Umm... 6.8 I think? Was talking to a Conor lad, he'd be very surprised if the gearbox shaft splines were worn; suggested it's more likely the knuckle shaft ones. In which case, loosen the tractor PTO gearbox, lift up and pull apart.

Are these knuckle shafts standard? Conor don't make toppers anymore, weren't being rewarded properly for them apparently. Thus, parts could be difficult to source. (A pity, this one is quite tough and sturdy.)
    They're usually 8.8. Your local machinery shop should have a knuckle to suit I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Hi all. Would an outfit of a Tanco 968 or 978 loader on an International 885xl be up to drawing and feeding fusion silage bales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Hi all. Would an outfit of a Tanco 968 or 978 loader on an International 885xl be up to drawing and feeding fusion silage bales?

Friend has that set up. She will feed no problem, but any time I used it I thought it was very hard on the tractor. I think them Tanco loaders are very big and heavy for a 2wd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

we have a tanco loader on our 885xl, its 4wd, have a good weight on the back

Friend has that set up. She will feed no problem, but any time I used it I thought it was very hard on the tractor. I think them Tanco loaders are very big and heavy for a 2wd

Thanks - should have said tractor would be 4 wd alright. Do those Tanco loaders have the pipes to use bale handler or grab - or are they just for a bucket/dung fork?

Thanks - should have said tractor would be 4 wd alright. Do those Tanco loaders have the pipes to use bale handler or grab - or are they just for a bucket/dung fork?

They can have the 3rd service retrofitted to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

by any chance would this be the ih for sale in laois on DD?
    And yes the tractor will be well up to the job ours handles wet fusions with a quicke power loader not a bother.

by any chance would this be the ih for sale in laois on DD?
    And yes the tractor will be well up to the job ours handles wet fusions with a quicke power loader not a bother.

Yeah actually is (or was) two of them up on DD this week. One in Laois gone, other one sounds like going to be gone before I get time to see it anyway! Problem with working to pay for farming!

Not sure mentally ready yet though to spend money to buy a 1985 tractor for heavy work lifting bales - have niggle in back of mind that might be cheap day one but dear in long run with amount of years they're around. Hard to even figure out what would be reasonable hours to have on tractor that age.

• Advertisement

Is it just my imagination or do some Massey Ferguson 390s have bigger rear tyres than others? If it's not all in my head, is one size better than the other??

Is it just my imagination or do some Massey Ferguson 390s have bigger rear tyres than others? If it's not all in my head, is one size better than the other??

Yeah some can come in oversize. The rear tyres on my 398 are 480s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Reggie. wrote:

480s!!!!! On a 390. Same as whays on the back if me 6c/x6

Reggie. wrote: »

Thanks Reggie - are the larger tyre ones supposed to be better job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

They're a better job til you have to go replace them!!! The other ones are better then.

Muckit wrote: »
    They're a better job til you have to go replace them!!! The other ones are better then.
    This is true. Great footprint across fields tho. Gives it a wider look aswell

480s!!!!! On a 390. Same as whays on the back if me 6c/x6

The new 5H has 440s on the front and 540s on the rear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Reggie. wrote:
    The new 5H has 440s on the front and 540s on the rear

Ya I shud have got 540s but were 2000 more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

New yoke came to work on Friday last. Replacing a Renault Ceres 325.

Ya I shud have got 540s but were 2000 more

Came as standard on mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

Came as standard on mine

Did you get it yet Reggie?

Knew it would be a 4 series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

is it just me or do modern tractors look odd with the small 2wd tyres on the front

ganmo wrote: »
    is it just me or do modern tractors look odd with the small 2wd tyres on the front

Front wheels should be bigger I think

Did you get it yet Reggie?

It will be in dublin port in a few hours and in the dublin compound for the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

It will be in dublin port in a few hours and in the dublin compound for the morning
    ya heading down to watch it come in :P

ganmo wrote: »
    ya heading down to watch it come in :P

Bloody thought of it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Bloody thought of it alright

I can see the headlines already, "Irish Soldier Arrested Trying To Steal His Own tractor"

MF290 wrote: »
    I can see the headlines already, "Irish Soldier Arrested Trying To Steal His Own tractor"

They have to catch me first :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

They have to catch me first :D

Is she 50k?

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Is she 50k?

Officially 40k but got 48k out if one a few weeks ago. Landinis are known for being a little faster than advertised

Officially 40k but got 48k out if one a few weeks ago. Landinis are known for being a little faster than advertised

Is it vario???

Beware of overspeed

14000th post Reggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Is it vario???

Beware of overspeed
    And lacking extra brake discs like a 50k machine

Is it vario???

Beware of overspeed

Triptonic gearbox. She doesn't overspeed I don't think. She doesn't speed up going down a hill

• Advertisement

Triptonic gearbox. She doesn't overspeed I don't think. She doesn't speed up going down a hill

Don't coast on the clutch and put it out to slow you down then.....AFAIK not good

Hope it's going well other than that though

And lacking extra brake discs like a 50k machine

Has brake discs in the front axle in the middle hub. Are they supposed to be different than that for a 50k machine

Don't coast on the clutch and put it out to slow you down then.....AFAIK not good

Hope it's going well other than that though
    Noted...
    Drove her down a steep hill with a load on and it didn't run off like the 398 would. Only sped up with the throttle

You'll be driving her back from Dublin Reggie? Maybe tour the country and visit us all?:D

Shannon757 wrote: »
    You'll be driving her back from Dublin Reggie? Maybe tour the country and visit us all?:D

Like I always said lads. Kettle is always boiled. Just call on in

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement