Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

The numbers that go with oils are a measure of their thickness (viscosity). If your not sure go to main dealer. The oil might well be dearer but at least you'll have the right stuff which is cheaper than an engine or backend in bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

Are you sure it's not 10w40 in the backend of the 390? That's what i'd put in it.

10w30 in the back end it would appear, can use 10w30 in the engine also, but I'd make sure it's intended for engine use. Engine oil/ universal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If sticker falls off oil drum is there anyany way of knowing what grade oil it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Muckit wrote: »
    If sticker falls off oil drum is there anyany way of knowing what grade oil it is?

That sounds very philosophical :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Drink some of it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Look at the receipt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

As an update to the topper problem, post 3496, the issue was the rotor-end fitting on the knuckle joint had worn smooth. Why, I don't know, maybe the shear bolt was too strong. Following manufacturer's advice, I took off the PTO gearbox (retaining bolts were tiiight!), swapped in a new joint and put back gearbox again. Everything working grand again.

20160802_161815.jpgfree picture hosting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

So there were splines inside there and they just sheared off? That is incredible, particularly for a topper! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Aye, I changed the shear bolt about 6 weeks ago, maybe the problems stem from then. If you look at the photo closely you may make out the stubs on the joint that match the circular indentation on the rotor PTO stub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong? :D:D

• Advertisement

Oil get back to you on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

ganmo wrote: »
    hmm now i've to figure out where i got that it took 15w 40 in both ends.

Id say you got hydraulic 46 mixed up with 15w40

MfMan wrote: »
    As an update to the topper problem, post 3496, the issue was the rotor-end fitting on the knuckle joint had worn smooth. Why, I don't know, maybe the shear bolt was too strong. Following manufacturer's advice, I took off the PTO gearbox (retaining bolts were tiiight!), swapped in a new joint and put back gearbox again. Everything working grand again.

Manufacturer could have offered you a new yolk end, as it was obviously too soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

MfMan wrote: »
    Aye, I changed the shear bolt about 6 weeks ago, maybe the problems stem from then. If you look at the photo closely you may make out the stubs on the joint that match the circular indentation on the rotor PTO stub.

I'd have to agree with nek it's amazing the steel could be that soft that'd wear smooth before the shear bolt would let go. We run umbreako high tensile bolts as shear bolts down here as North Roscommon rushes are tuff hoors and the shear bolt will still always let go first. Granted our topper is an auld semi offset major 6ft but you'd think a modern double blade topper would be just as tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know old fords are fetching a premium but this man is in dreamland, surely. Pretty lazy advertising too, pictures say it all :rolleyes:

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-5000/13086612

Damage to topper here today. Hit a rock. Donut thing broke and shaft bent. Shear bolt went too

You have two Donuts there Whelan, never saw that before.
    Don't forget to "time" the rotors at 90 degrees to each other when fitting the new donut, or you could put the whole lot is shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I know old fords are fetching a premium but this man is in dreamland, surely. Pretty lazy advertising too, pictures say it all :rolleyes:

Local lad here spent up to 10k restoring it to original so i guess he might have spent similar .Dont know much about them 5000 but the photos look good but is it in original cond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

He could have spent 15 grand on it but it doesn't necessarily mean its worth it. Its only worth what someone will pay, but it does look very tidy though. I would have thought somewhere around 8-10 grand

My neighbour sold a ropey old Ford 4600 County (Blue bubble cab, rusty and the usual County feature of leaking front hubs) for €5000 on DD two weeks ago.
    Last week he bought a pristine 4wd Ford 4610 with AP cab and the revised column shift gearbox for €5500. And I mean pristine. Great upgrade in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

He could have spent 15 grand on it but it doesn't necessarily mean its worth it. Its only worth what someone will pay, but it does look very tidy though. I would have thought somewhere around 8-10 grand

I'd say around 8 max if it were fully restored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ford 5000 and 7000 always have a mystique about them for Irish classic tractor buyers much the same as the MF188.
    It's priced too high but perhaps it'll go for over the 10 mark I'd say thats what he's hoping for. If it was up for sub 10k he'd have the usual crowd ringing offering 5k cash tonight.
    DB1410 is where my money would go though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

The 5000 were a gutless tractor, nothing about them is desirable Imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

She got delivered anyhow. Just have to wait on the loader now. Landini have redesigned the interior again it seems

Reggie. wrote: »
    She got delivered anyhow. Just have to wait on the loader now. Landini have redesigned the interior again it seems
    yipee, best of luck with it

whelan2 wrote: »
    yipee, best of luck with it

You sound more excited than me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Well wear Reggie. Let's get some working pics now :pac:

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Well wear Reggie. Let's get some working pics now :pac:

I'd say I'd have to wait a few weeks for the loader so might be a while

Decent width rubber Reggie. Best of luck with her.

• Advertisement

Well wear!!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Decent width rubber Reggie. Best of luck with her.

440 front and 540 rear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

Well wear Reggie and best of luck with it!

Well wear Reggie and best of luck with it!

Cheers Clover and everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Well ware, no doubt you are taking pictures on where you think they could improve factory finish on the polishing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Well ware, no doubt you are taking pictures on where you think they could improve factory finish on the polishing etc.

I fear the white upholstery would be wasted on most farms, best of luck with her reggie

• Advertisement

rangler1 wrote: »
    I fear the white upholstery would be wasted on most farms, best of luck with her reggie

Agreed but it does brighten up the interior somewhat

Mad to get the power washer at it today I was

Agreed but it does brighten up the interior somewhat

Won't be wasted in your case anyway

rangler1 wrote: »
    Won't be wasted in your case anyway

May get some new cleaning materials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Best of luck with it Reggie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Nice gear lever (??) I think, strange looking, shape. Best of look well wear. Are there brackets on her or is it the loader and brackets your waiting on?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sam Kade wrote: »

Worth every cent!;)

well you may wear Reggie, hope it holds her value as well as yer man's 5000!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

blue5000 wrote: »
    Worth every cent!;)

well you may wear Reggie, hope it holds her value as well as yer man's 5000!

When/if Reggie ever decides to sell it on, it will be in better than new condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

emaherx wrote: »
    And just to confirm speed control for arms dropping is a black knob on right hand side of driver seat, often becomes loose or disconnected under cab, but is an easy fix as mentioned above.

Sorry - just coming back to advice here on slow lift arm drop speed on MF390. Does that black knob control lift drop speed or lift rise speed or both? Someone else trying to convince me that the control only for lift rise speed and the problem with a slow drop speed I'm seeing would be something else to do with partially blocked return?

Nice gear lever (??) I think, strange looking, shape. Best of look well wear. Are there brackets on her or is it the loader and brackets your waiting on?

Yeah was told it's the new gear lever. I think it's next year's cab just gone into production early. Looks like I got the one of the first batch in ireland so far.

Loader is ready just waiting on brackets

Think this is a better pic of the new gear lever. The split buttons are on the left and declutch in front

Think this is a better pic of the new gear lever. The split buttons are on the left and declutch in front

very same as my zetor, have been loading straw for the last few days and it has been really handy not to be clutching, i can also set the buttons on the side to change up and down automaticaly, so I work it at low and when I have to travel for a bale, just rev up and it goes to high itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

Sorry - just coming back to advice here on slow lift arm drop speed on MF390. Does that black knob control lift drop speed or lift rise speed or both? Someone else trying to convince me that the control only for lift rise speed and the problem with a slow drop speed I'm seeing would be something else to do with partially blocked return?

It adjusts drop speed only, The linkage from it to the side of the back end sometimes gets a little sloppy, so if you stand behind the tractor and reach in on right hand side you will see it attaches to a lever that slides forwards and backwards you can move it here by hand too (number 7 in the attached diagram). Just dont operate any controls with your arm in there (maybe turn off tractor ;) ).

394329.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

emaherx wrote: »

Emaherx
    It adjusts drop speed only, The linkage from it to the side of the back end sometimes gets a little sloppy, so if you stand behind the tractor and reach in on right hand side you will see it attaches to a lever that slides forwards and backwards you can move it here by hand too (number 7 in the attached diagram). Just dont operate any controls with your arm in there (maybe turn off tractor ;) ).

That's super - thanks! I think you've also gauged my mechanical cop on exactly right by including the warning at the end :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I thought you'd have the bird shït cleaned;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement