Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-1 Columbia

Options
  • 12-04-2015 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭

34 years ago today the Shuttle had its maiden flight into LEO. Alot has been written about the merits and legacy of the Shuttle but there's no doubting it was an incredible machine.

327702main_image_1328_946-710.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

A Magnificent Flying Machine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Beeker wrote: »
    A Magnificent Flying Machine. :)

Goosebumps every time. Just... wow!
    I was about 6 when the shuttle program started and my youngest kid was 6 when the shuttle retired. Funny huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

4 things I loved about watching that first flight (though not in person, I was barely 3 years old!):

1. The HUGE sense of 'what-if', as it was the first proper manned combination test flight of the STS.
    2. The white external fuel tank (subsequently left unpainted in later missions as it saved a little over 1/2 tonne in weight).
    3. The clothing and hairstyles.
    4. The CAPCOM transmissions still sounded like they did in the Apollo era!

:D

I have always loved the Space Shuttle, it has been the source of many lectures of mine, and some memorabilia. I actually miss seeing it in flight since Discovery's last mission in July 2011 - can you believe it's actually THAT long ago?!

Seanie.

Advertisement