Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surely it can't be right?

Options
  • 12-04-2015 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

I don't know where to put this I thought 'music' would the best place. if not or if not allowed please move or delete.
    After the recent 'blurred lines,Marvin Gaye' thing, I'm just trying to know how this works
    Had the radio on there the other day, not loud,just enough to hear in the background. So this song comes on and I think 'oh lovely I like this.' so I start singing to my hearts content. However the song I was singing was completely different to the song I was hearing. It was a completely different artist. Completely different words but the melody, rhythm everything was the same!
    From start to finish it was the exact same.
    If one artist can be penalised for using a similar beat to a song, how can another artist release a song practically using the same sheet music.
    Surely it can't be right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Maybe no one else has noticed the similarities yet. What songs were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

:) well the original songs singer actually commented at his gig on Friday, so he noticed :)

The original song is 'dance with you' by olly.

the new song is 'dear future husband' by meghan Traynor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Has the song made any money? If it's not worth going after why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Olly Murs, is it? Sorry now but I couldn't be putting myself through listening to songs by himself and Meghan Traynor to see if I can notice any similarities :eek:

Anyway, if the original artist has noticed similarities, why doesn't he lawyer up and sort it out? What's stopping him from defending his interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Both these artists are signed to the same record company (Epic) who own the publishing rights. Basically nobody can sue anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

So does that mean then that twenty people from the same place can release the same song with different words?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Probably the same writers and all!!

Advertisement