Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to pay mortgage arrears *Mod Note in Opening Post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

hopgog wrote: »
    But you can get a free asset in a council house if you don't work at all.

No you pay rent to council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

The point people are trying to make here is your helping an individual aquire an asset. No matter how hard pressed they are or how much negative equity is involved.

So what, what's the big deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

And a ball of cash if you move out to your own house

Nice work if you can get it

The Spider wrote: »
    So what, what's the big deal?

No use posting here I see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Change thread title to Tax Payer to pay mortgage arrears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

No use posting here I see

Point is this doesn't affect you personally, I really don't see what the issue is, taxpayer pays rent allowance, so now there's write downs, like it or not this is the only way forward, those people will never pay the amounts owed.

I'm sure 99 percent of them are genuine, no doubt there's a few people purposely not paying, but I doubt it's anywhere near the wild guesswork here.

The Spider wrote: »
    Point is this doesn't affect you personally, I really don't see what the issue is, taxpayer pays rent allowance, so now there's write downs, like it or not this is the only way forward, those people will never pay the amounts owed.

I'm sure 99 percent of them are genuine, no doubt there's a few people purposely not paying, but I doubt it's anywhere near the wild guesswork here.

So the government will pay off my mortgage and the next day I can sell the house for $$$ >> All mine $$$$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭hopgog

No you pay rent to council.

Only if you are working, you can even leave your council house to your kid when you die. A council house is vrry much an asset and most mortage owners would go mortgage to rent if the banks let the as they will have the house for life and not have to pay the mortgage when they are on the dole

Only if you are working, you can even leave your council house to your kid when you die. A council house is vrry much an asset and most mortage owners would go mortgage to rent if the banks let the as they will have the house for life and not have to pay the mortgage when they are on the dole

No you still have to pay rent even if on social. You can buy a council house but you pay more on top of rent like a mortgage ;)

No you still have to pay rent even if on social. You can buy a council house but you pay more on top of rent like a mortgage ;)

It's so tiny it not worth mentioning, I would glady give my mortage away so it becomes a council house, you have the security of the house for life, repairs are now the councils problem, you can leave the house to your child When you die.

Also zero need to work so you can enjoy life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

bjork wrote: »
    So the government will pay off my mortgage and the next day I can sell the house for $$$ >> All mine $$$$$

I don't think that it will work out like that at all.

I don't think that it will work out like that at all.

How do you see it working out. Would there be a clause saying it can't be sold for x number of years?

What's to stop them selling it and upgrading?

It's so tiny it not worth mentioning, I would glady give my mortage away so it becomes a council house, you have the security of the house for life, repairs are now the councils problem, you can leave the house to your child When you die.

Yea the point being the council house is being paid for by the occupant. So if your house is worth 300k and a council house is worth 80k. You expect the government to supplement the difference because you can't pay. Still pay what the council tenant would pay for his house.

Yea the point being the council house is being paid for by the occupant. So if your house is worth 300k and a council house is worth 80k. You expect the government to supplement the difference because you can't pay. Still pay what the council tenant would pay for his house.

There is council houses worth 300k with families on the dole living in them paying practically nothing, there is a scheme to allow to give up your 300k mortage and change to a council house but the banks won't use it.

How do you see it working out. Would there be a clause saying it can't be sold for x number of years?
    No, but I would think that the government/bank would have a percentage equity stake in the property that they could claim back if it was sold.
    What's to stop them selling it and upgrading?
    I don't think there will be a clause to prevent the sale of the property, but I would say that the people who got help from the state would have to pay back that assistance at the time of the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,999 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Only if the council's criteria are met

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/inheriting_a_tenancy.html

Council housing is in very short supply and it is immoral to allow people to live in them who do not deserve to do so e.g. a single person in a property which could house a whole family on the waiting list.

Limerick woman faces eviction following mother’s death

If you want to hand over an asset to your children, buy it (and actually pay the mortgage)

Great. Who pays? Do you think this is fair or just?

Great. Who pays? Do you think this is fair or just?

Now you are getting why the welfare state and social left are a bad idea, if you don't want to pay for it vote for a government that won't give the social class more breaks stay away from SF. But if you have people getting social houses for it's only fair if everyone is allowed to get free houses.

Now you are getting why the welfare state and social left are a bad idea, if you don't want to pay for it vote for a government that won't give the social class more breaks stay away from SF. But if you have people getting social houses for it's only fair if everyone is allowed to get free houses.

So your saying we should go into our local council and look for a 300k house off them for nothing? I think id know what their answer would be :)

So your saying we should go into our local council and look for a 300k house off them for nothing?

No you should go to your council and get them cut welfare and take control of the welfare state, but while it's there it's only fair everyone gets free welfare cause at the moment mary ward can go get that free 300k house while john joe worker can't and now coming to the election the social left want to get more people on that welfare ladder by paying their mortgage.

Don't expect people to continue to work if the like of SF come in tax workers more and give more breaks to the dole class like they plan. We are already at a point it's better not to work government need to fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭markeymark

... coming to the election the social left want to get more people on that welfare ladder by paying their mortgage.

Don't expect people to continue to work if the like of SF come in tax workers more and give more breaks to the dole class like they plan. We are already at a point it's better not to work government need to fix that.

There is nothing left wing about this policy, as someone who considers themselves left leaning, I am appalled by the plans. It is being proposed by one of the most right wing governments in the history of the state and SF hasn't commented on the specifics yet. But don't let the facts get in the way of an ideological rant.

• Advertisement

markeymark wrote: »
    There is nothing left wing about this policy,
    Helping those with problems paying their mortgage is a left wing policy
    I am appalled by the plans.
    it's not so bad, some people are in genuine hardship. If implemented properly the taxpayer would probably get most of the money back
    It is being proposed by one of the most right wing governments in the history of the state
    Seriously, now? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watching the Six One news here and of course all the parties are making noises about "forcing" the banks to pass on variable rate reductions or face levies/taxes (you'd never know there was an election on the way! :rolleyes:)

Of course, just as when they talk about the "Government" paying for this but what they really mean is the taxpayer picks up the tab, who do they think pays those levies?? Other bank customers that's who!!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Watching the Six One news here and of course all the parties are making noises about "forcing" the banks to pass on variable rate reductions or face levies/taxes (you'd never know there was an election on the way! :rolleyes:)

Of course, just as when they talk about the "Government" paying for this but what they really mean is the taxpayer picks up the tab, who do they think pays those levies?? Other bank customers that's who!!

Bank get a levy for svr mortgages, raise svr mortgage rate to offset the cost what could go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Whataboutery.

They still make some sort of a contribution so if a mortgage payer is paying zero, it is definitely strategic.

gaius c wrote: »
    Whataboutery.

They still make some sort of a contribution so if a mortgage payer is paying zero, it is definitely strategic.

That's why I am says people should give back the keys go bankrupt and get a free social house so they will be contributing like the rest that get free homes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

That's why I am says people should give back the keys go bankrupt and get a free social house so they will be contributing like the rest that get free homes

Why would they do that when they can stay in their own home rent free for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Villa05

Does anyone think it is amazing how we make the same mistakes over and over again.

We currently have a banking enquiry ongoing. In evidence we were told that the bank guarantee/bailout was the biggest financial mistake in world history.

This thread is 50+ pages long. It should be only 2 posts.
    The reply being
    That's mad Ted. We could not seriously make that mistake again

Villa05 wrote: »
    Does anyone think it is amazing how we make the same mistakes over and over again.

We currently have a banking enquiry ongoing. In evidence we were told that the bank guarantee/bailout was the biggest financial mistake in world history.

This thread is 50+ pages long. It should be only 2 posts.
    The reply being
    That's mad Ted. We could not seriously make that mistake again

Well I'll be the first one in the queue to draw down 15 mortgages and repay 0 if this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well I'll be the first one in the queue to draw down 15 mortgages and repay 0 if this happens

Indeed.. as I've said before, the one thing I have learned from the last several years is that being responsible, paying your debts and generally contributing to this country is in fact stupidity and exposes you to even more debt, taxes and stress because of the sizeable numbers of people who think that it was "someone else" who forced them to buy property, and thus "someone else" who should now pay for it so they can stay in it. Add in the vested interests of property-owning politicians obsessed with buying votes so they can keep their seat on the Gravy Train next year, and I'm no longer surprised that this could actually go ahead.

So when the Good Times Mk 2 roll again I'll be signing up for all the "free" money they want to throw at me, and when the next crash inevitably happens, I'll sit back, cry poverty and wait for my "bailout" too!

• Advertisement

good luck with that - you'll need it!

Advertisement