Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to pay mortgage arrears *Mod Note in Opening Post*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

what sort of a question is that? i was working full time in a well paid job.

A fairly straightforward one. Why not answer it properly? What was your income? How much of a deposit did you pay? What happened since?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

It's both - and that's a bad way to resolve it, both economically and society/humanitarian-wise.

People need to look at the wider macroeconomic issues related to this, not focus myopically on simplified moralistic issues.

So if I live in a mansion and cant pay I should be subbed by taxpayer. Meanwhile people are trying to keep up with rental increases and mortgage repayments. Usc 2 on the way so.
    You talk about the economic viewpoint of this. Where's the money for this come from. How does that effect the economy of the country taking more money from people to pay for this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

So if I live in a mansion and cant pay I should be subbed by taxpayer. Meanwhile people are trying to keep up with rental increases and mortgage repayments. Usc 2 on the way so.
    You talk about the economic viewpoint of this. Where's the money for this come from. How does that effect the economy of the country taking more money from people to pay for this

Well you'd be entitled to a humanitarian food drop from the UN every so often....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't agree with this at all, I waited until I had enough saved and took out a mortgage I could afford to pay back, I would really resent having to foot the bill for someone else who gets bailed out because they borrowed more than they could afford just to live in a nice area in a big house.

It sends out a message that doing the right thing and keeping the bills paid is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Smartguy wrote: »
    A fairly straightforward one. Why not answer it properly? What was your income? How much of a deposit did you pay? What happened since?

Do you think I should have to answer those questions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

They are double the rates of other Eurozone countries.

Yes. I know, they are still low compared to historical rates. When a person takes out a VR mortgage they should count themselves very lucky to have historically low interest rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Do you think I should have to answer those questions?

I don't but I do think you should own your actions

You limited current earning potential by returning to education

This will change in the future, but you should have planned extra resources to tide you over until that changes,.

You say you need 15,000 to survive>. This is less than miminum age a job in a shop would earn you if you want to keep the house.

Some times in life throws choices and maybe if you want to keep your house you need to postpone your education or do it part time, so you can achieve you goal of owning a house.

jaysblades wrote: »
    Hahaha, i love reading all these comments from those cry babies who think just because they have a 9 to 5 , other poorer people should struggle on with no help. Keep crying you losers.

Who's the poorer people?

That comment doesn't make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

bjork wrote: »
    but you should have planned extra resources to tide you over until that changes.

Seriously, did you read his post? Clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

Who's the poorer people?

That comment doesn't make sense

People with no jobs and big morgages , ye know , the sick and disabled, and let's not forget those who just don't feel like working god bless em. Basically the people who these card punchers look down on because they have a J.O.B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

jaysblades - quit the trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

People with no jobs and big morgages , ye know , the sick and disabled, and let's not forget those who just don't feel like working god bless em. Basically the people who these card punchers look down on because they have a J.O.B

What is being sick or being disabled to do with this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Those who just don't feel like working are living on the charity of those who do have to work. The sick and disabled are also taken care of out of the efforts of those who go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks, you should all know by now not to engage with someone who is trolling, it just drags the threads off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dwalsh58

We could be looking at a situation where the people who thought it was too risky to buy back in the bubble - the smart, cautious people - who opted to rent are now going to see their tax money going to the reckless, foolish people who outbid them back in the day. The people who actually drove up the prices to crazy levels.

on_my_oe wrote:
    I looked at the price, the interest rates and agreed to the terms. That included paying my mortgage repayment in exchange for (eventually) owning my home outright.

on_my_oe wrote:
    Those in arrears did the same, and by that argument they don't want to pay the price they don't get to keep the goods.

Why are you blaming the trackers for your troubles, you would take one if you got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I'll not be voting for any TD who goes along with this.

Dwalsh58 wrote: »
    Why are you blaming the trackers for your troubles, you would take one if you got it.
    Where did that straw man come from? :confused:

And why do you think there would not be enough property to house people? Are the repossessed houses going to be knocked down? Are there not tens of thousands of empty properties already in the country?

Who do you think will be put into the repo houses only people who were evicted, vicious circle, costing more money. And ask yourself why are there tens of thousands of empty properties in the country already?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

My issue isn't with those who got trackers (and yes, I would have loved one).

My issue is with borrowers who expect my taxes to pay off their commitments while I manage my own cash flow to pay my own bills. I work full time and study part time, and earn a below average wage. If I can do it with a variable rate mortgage, those with trackers can keep paying their own mortgages.

hats off to anyone whatever their interest rate paying their own bills and not expecting a taxpayer funded write off, myself included.

Those who can't pay their mortgage will need to adjust their expectations and rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Who do you think will be put into the repo houses only people who were evicted, vicious circle, costing more money. And ask yourself why are there tens of thousands of empty properties in the country already?

No, they'll go on the market and be sold to people who can afford to pay their mortgage.

There are families in Dublin, Galway etc mortgage approved and paying rents higher than the equivalent mortgage repayments. It would be more fair if the properties were repossessed, placed on the open market, and sold to families ready to meet their financial commitments. Their extra cash flow could either be spent on paying down their mortgage faster or in the general economy,Mike retail or domestic tourism.

• Advertisement

How would that be a 'vicious circle'? :confused:

Do you propose that people who do pay their mortgages be evicted too?

People seem to keep missing the point: houses are not going to disappear. What will happen is that people who currently rent will be in a position to buy - freeing up rentals. And those who are currently sitting in nice houses and not paying their mortgage would be repossessed, so they would move into the rental properties.

No property is going to disappear. And there are still tens of thousands of empties out there all over the country.

So the evicted homeowners can swap with the renters and the "tens of thousands of empties" will still be empty. Also plenty of houses have disappeared, they have been demolished.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just where are these tens of thousands of vacant homes that several of you have referred to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Yes because everyone benefiting from this new policy is living in a mansion, right? :rolleyes:

So the evicted homeowners can swap with the renters and the "tens of thousands of empties" will still be empty. Also plenty of houses have disappeared, they have been demolished.
    'Plenty'? Ok. I haven't heard of any.

And what's wrong with the evicted people who aren't paying their mortgages renting? :confused: Renters are evicted every day for not paying their rent. Once you've got a mortgage contract from a bank, you are too good to ever rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I don't but I do think you should own your actions

You limited current earning potential by returning to education

This will change in the future, but you should have planned extra resources to tide you over until that changes,.

You say you need 15,000 to survive>. This is less than miminum age a job in a shop would earn you if you want to keep the house.

Some times in life throws choices and maybe if you want to keep your house you need to postpone your education or do it part time, so you can achieve you goal of owning a house.

I didn't say I needed 15000 to survive.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Gonna call my landlord and ask for rent forgiveness :D

Just where are these tens of thousands of vacant homes that several of you have referred to?
    Nationwide. There were 300k empty at the last census. Some were holiday homes, of course.

According to this Feb 2014

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/23/ireland-predicted-26000-empty-properties-end-2014
    There are now 14,000 empty houses and flats scattered across the Irish Republic, including 700 so-called "ghost estates".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes because everyone benefiting from this new policy is living in a mansion, right? :rolleyes:

Only a small minority are- however, there are people who have the means, but are deliberately not paying their mortgages, because hitherto, there has been no implications for them to not paying their mortgages. These free-loaders will be treated in an identical manner to those unfortunates- whose situations have changed and who now find themselves in difficulty. Meanwhile- those who have scrounged and borrowed- sometimes tens of thousands, to keep ontop of their mortgages- will not see any benefit from this- on the contrary- their promised mooted cuts in tax- won't transpire......

If there was a proposal to strip these people of ownership of the property- and allow them to rent it back at open market rates- if they were in a position to do so- or if they were not- to give them support at the max of the scale to rent elsewhere- I don't think anyone would have any issue with it. It would also free up property for people who are in a position to buy- but because of supply constraints, they have been unable to do so.

At the end of the day- there will be the same number of houses out there- and the same number of people to be housed. How these people are housed- will vary.

Giving a subsidy to this subset of borrowers- when others who have been prudent- or have manipulated their scarce finances so they haven't defaulted on their mortgages- is very unfair- and I don't think its going to fly when the government get feedback on how many people are going to actively boycott the government parties, if they pursue this scheme.........

There is a mess out there. Any solution to the mess- has to be seen as equitable to all taxpayers- and those who have gone to massive lengths not to default. Giving a dig out to people to live in, and eventually own, property they cannot afford- is imprudent- and an insult to the intelligence of the majority of the Irish people.

Advertisement