Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welding at home, which plugs, transformer etc???

Options
  • 12-04-2015 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

So I'm getting a Tig Welder for home use (practicing pipe welding)

The welding I am getting has a supply voltage of:
    1 ~ 230V 50 Hz
    Industrial plug 32A (blue plug). Is this 2 phase???

My plan was to get a 1 phase welder (yellow plug) and connect it into a transformer.

Can I just change to blue plug? Or what do I need???

Thanks in advance

<Mod edit: Here is a link to the welder >

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seankb

32a blue plug is single phase 230v. The yellow plug is 110v you won't need a transformer for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

You may need to change the MCB in your board as well, I don't have the technical detail, but the normal mcbs trip far too quickly for an arc welder.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Enduroman

What do I need to do then?

Does having a transformer help with tripping?

I haven't a clue about electrical, sorry lads :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What's on the ratting plate of the welder?

Just cause it has a blue plug fitted that can handle 32a means that it does. I've a 13a plug on my desk lamp doesn't mean it takes 13 amps.

Btw there are two types of blue plugs one ratted for 16a and the other larger one for 32a.

• Advertisement

Here are the details of the welder if they are any use

TECHNICAL DATA:

Current range TIG DC
    3-200 A

Current range TIG AC
    5-200 A

The efficiency of the TIG
    200A-60%

Mileage waveform
    rectangular, trapezoidal, triangular, sinusoidal

AC frequency control
    20-250 Hz

Balance of current in AC mode
    5% -90%

Gas starting / ending mode AC / DC
    0-25 / 0-50 s

Current start / end mode DC
    5-200 / 3-200 A

Current start / end AC mode
    5-200 A

Rise / fall time mode AC / DC
    S 0-25 / 0-25 s

Basis pulse AC / DC
    3-100%

The duration of the pulse AC / DC
    5% -95%

Advanced mixed current frequency AC
    0.1-10 Hz

Standard frequency pulsed current DC
    0.1-500 Hz

Standard frequency pulsed current AC Square (rectangular)
    0.1-250 Hz

Standard frequency pulsed current AC Soft Square, Triangular, Sine
    0.1-10 Hz

The TIG arc ignition
    HF (ionizer) / LIFT

Load voltage MMA / VRD MMA
    70/21 V

MMA welding current range DC + / DC-
    20-160 A

The efficiency of MMA
    160A-60%

ARC FORCE
    0-100%

HOT START TIME
    0-2 s

HOT START AMPS
    0-100%

The current range of cutting
    20-50 A

Cutting efficiency

60%

Cutting thickness
    12 mm

Supply Voltage
    1 ~ 230V 50 Hz
    Industrial plug 32A

Power consumption TIG / MMA
    6 kVA

MIN delayed protection
    20 A

Dimensions
    430 * 200 * 290 mm

Weight Scale
    26 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seankb

Forget about the transformer it's the wrong voltage. Is it def a 32a plug as someone else said it could be a 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

sounds good - you'll be able to make loads of nice stuff with that

you need to get an electrician

you'll need a socket on the wall that matches the plug basically

and a run of cable that can take the load from there back to the consumer unit

if the power is a bit feeble you might need a priority unit to disable the shower when your welding

might need elastoplast/sudocrem for when she hits you with something for making the shower go cold once too often

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Link to welder added to 1st post.

gctest50 wrote: »
    sounds good - you'll be able to make loads of nice stuff with that

you need to get an electrician

you'll need a socket on the wall that matches the plug basically

and a run of cable that can take the load from there back to the consumer unit

if the power is a bit feeble you might need a priority unit to disable the shower when your welding

might need elastoplast/sudocrem for when she hits you with something for making the shower go cold once too often

And if i need to drag the welder to a friends house to weld his car doors together? One of those 32AMP to 13AMP socket converters would get me fried????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Your welder will only work on 230v. Unless its dual voltage. Dual voltage equipment usually has a switch to change from 230v to 110v. Can be done electronically within the welder as well. Transformer not needed unless doing site work. Used for safety reasons. Trafo usually causes nuisance tripping when plugged in. The cure for any tripping with MCBs using welder etc is to swap for motor rated MCBs of the same rating. Job for electrician to change though. A dedicated circuit for the welder might be a better option if the current drawn by the welder is over 20 amps. Larger cable size needed to prevent overheating.
    Often thought of buying acdc. Tig welder for aluminium but haven't got around to it. Santy might call yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Enduroman wrote: »
    And if i need to drag the welder to a friends house to weld his car doors together? One of those 32AMP to 13AMP socket converters would get me fried????

It says 6kva = 6kw, your kitchen electric kettle is only 2kw.

6kw load will take about 26 amps if the welder is running on full, hence the blue 32a plug.

You can't take 26amps from a domestic plug, not ratted for more than 13a.

Could you use the welder on a lower power setting on a 13a circuit without tripping fuses, probably but not recommended.

So would the electrical work be expensive? Or should I just buy a diesel Generator and constantly hide it from the pikeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

unless he has a 32amp socket you won't be dragging it anywhere

those "household" sockets can only carry about 13amps on a good day, the fuse will keep blowing and/or the breaker will keep tripping

bypass them and you risk damaging the house wiring, this may lead to a house fire days/weeks/months later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

So would the electrical work be expensive? Or should I just buy a diesel Generator and constantly hide it from the pikeys.
    Forget a generator. Would need to be nearly 20 kva with avr. To run a 6kw. Electronic load. Would be running idle a lot of the time. Not good for generator.

Advertisement