Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK resident

Options
  • 12-04-2015 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I am a UK resident. My parents are Irish residents.

They recently transferred ownership of their Irish home in to me.

At the point of transfer it was valued below the threshold for Capital Acquisitions Tax (ie: less than €225k) so I will not pay tax to the Irish Government (apart from 1% stamp duty for the transfer of the property).

But here's my question. As a UK resident do I now face a UK tax bill for being given an Irish property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

badgerbill wrote: »
    Hello,

I am a UK resident. My parents are Irish residents.

They recently transferred ownership of their Irish home in to me.

At the point of transfer it was valued below the threshold for Capital Acquisitions Tax (ie: less than €225k) so I will not pay tax to the Irish Government (apart from 1% stamp duty for the transfer of the property).

But here's my question. As a UK resident do I now face a UK tax bill for being given an Irish property?

I think gifts do not give rise to UK Inheritance tax unless the donor dies within 7 years but you may want to check somewhere like https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax

Advertisement