Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few hours to kill in Dublin

Options
  • 12-04-2015 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this doesn't require a new thread, didn't see anywhere obvious to post it. I'll have most of a free afternoon in the city this week, usually I'm weighed down with kids or rushing for home in Limerick.
    Are there any particularly interesting exhibitions or things running at the moment, I'm very interested in history and assume there are things running to coincide with WW1 or the Rising. Anyone care to make a recommendation on these or anything else to kill a few hours.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Worth having a look through the Dublin event guide see if anything takes your fancy.

www.dublineventguide.com

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Glasnevin Cemetery might be worth a visit you can see Michael Collins grave, it's about 15 minutes from city centre on the 140 bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Thanks guys, that event guide is vast, any specific recommendations, I don't mind spending a few bob on admission, I've been to Glasnevin and it is fantastic.
    Has Croke park museum improved recently, haven't been there in years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Kilmainham Gaol is a must visit for anyone interested in Irish history, particularly the Easter Rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Kilmainham goal is brilliant. Take a look at the free museums on www museum ie . Most are within walking distance of each other. Then take the luas to Collins barracks. Great way to waste a few hours. Closed on Monday though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Arbour hill is 15min walk from city centre..

The leaders of the rising are buried there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The Municipal Gallery, just a spit from O'Connell St.
    Or if it is a nice day, there's walking; the Bull Wall or the South Wall or Dun Laoghaire Pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Little musuem of dublin st. Stephens green.

Plenty of history of interest in there and they usually have a room set aside to a specific theme for a few months at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If the weather stays nice, go to the Botanic Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I just found this link. A bit too much of the eating-and-drinking, but still a good handful of Dublin entertainment.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/vickinotaro/dublin-before-you-die-18q9i#.frka0WnmV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

National Library has a couple of exhibitions on at the moment - Yeats and also the Irish in WW1

http://www.nli.ie/en/udlist/current-exhibitions.aspx

Advertisement