Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 640

• 12-04-2015 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Anyone used/seen a 640 yet? My wife broke the screen on her 820 so I picked up a 535. Not impressed with touch screen behaviour on 535 and we got the 820 repaired (new digitizer) so will sell the 535. But now it turns out the repaired 820 screen isn't what it used to be. So basically I'm again looking for a new mid range Windows Phone. €180 sim free seems to be going rate for 640 and specs decent. But I don't think it has wireless charging so maybe a second hand 820 better to consider?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Its only just become available through online retail and I don't think any networks have it yet, so I'd be surprised if anyone on here has it.

I did get to use it back in March when it was announced, and it's a nice phone for the price. Each year as these phones get replaced for similar models, the specs get a little better each time - so the screen is higher res, the cameras are bit better, the CPU is faster, etc.

As for the wireless charging, a wireless charging back cover/shell should be available at some point (is that such a big deal? the Lumia 735 comes with one btw).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭g0g

theothernt wrote: »
    Its only just become available through online retail and I don't think any networks have it yet, so I'd be surprised if anyone on here has it.

I did get to use it back in March when it was announced, and it's a nice phone for the price. Each year as these phones get replaced for similar models, the specs get a little better each time - so the screen is higher res, the cameras are bit better, the CPU is faster, etc.

As for the wireless charging, a wireless charging back cover/shell should be available at some point (is that such a big deal? the Lumia 735 comes with one btw).
    Thanks yeah the only place I see it is the MS store, but normally a few on this forum somehow get their hands on the new models!

As has been debated here before, wireless charging is something I think is hard to move away from once you're used to it. Now that we have a few of the chargers around the house it'd be a shame not to be able to take advantage of them! Seems like QI covers don't come out for all models, and when I Google it now I can only find mention of a future cover for the XL but not the normal one.

Is the 735 cheaper/better?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

g0g wrote: »
    Thanks yeah the only place I see it is the MS store, but normally a few on this forum somehow get their hands on the new models!

As has been debated here before, wireless charging is something I think is hard to move away from once you're used to it. Now that we have a few of the chargers around the house it'd be a shame not to be able to take advantage of them! Seems like QI covers don't come out for all models, and when I Google it now I can only find mention of a future cover for the XL but not the normal one.

Yeah, wasn't interested in Wireless Charging until I had it on my 930, and now I wouldn't get a phone without it. It's incredibly handy to be able to plonk your phone down next to your keyboard and have it fully charged by the time you go out for lunch or home time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

It should be a little better, but it might cost a bit more too. In fact, the price has gone up slightly since I got mine (180 euro from Amazon FR).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Anyone used/seen a 640 yet? My wife broke the screen on her 820 so I picked up a 535. Not impressed with touch screen behaviour on 535 and we got the 820 repaired (new digitizer) so will sell the 535. But now it turns out the repaired 820 screen isn't what it used to be. So basically I'm again looking for a new mid range Windows Phone. €180 sim free seems to be going rate for 640 and specs decent. But I don't think it has wireless charging so maybe a second hand 820 better to consider?

I got the 640 off the Microsoft store, was delivered a few days ago.

It's a very nice phone, the software is what you would expect from Windows, being fast and nippy.

Large clear screen size is just about perfect, camera is good at 8mp as well as having Living Images feature. It's a skinny phone that feels good to hold, only thing is I got it in orange and it is VERY orange!

Phone cost me €179, which I think is very good value. Any questions let me know and I'll check it out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

beauf wrote: »

It does have glance yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭g0g

Yeah it seems to come down to:
    640 = Newer, Glance (important), bigger battery, cheaper
    735 = Slightly smaller (might be good), QI charge option, better camera (less MP but lens better)

I've searched everywhere and can find no mention of a QI option in future on 640 other than XL model. I assume at this stage that's a definite that it'll never have wireless charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Going to pick one up in Vodafone this week for 150 Euro. The only colour they have is Blue I think which I hope wont look too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's not much more on the MS site no and it's sim free and choice of colours?

• Advertisement
Advertisement