Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build 2015 - x99 -

Options
  • 12-04-2015 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

HI Guys,

So I just thought I'd give an update on my build. I have changed the build slightly, mainly regarding the GPU and Motherboard configuration.

So spec is as follows:
    Component list

HDD: 4 X Sandisk Xtreme Pro 240gb - raid 0 / 2 X 3TB WD Storage/backup
    CASE: Caselabs TH10A/ Pedestal - MAGNUM
    PSU: Corsair AX1500i
    CPU: Intel 5960X
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000MHz
    GPU: 3 X OcUK GeForce Titan X 12288MB
    MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme
    MOBO/CPU - EK-FB ASUS R5E Monoblock - Nickel
    GPU - 3 X EK-FC Titan X - Nickel / 3 X NICKEL Backplate
    Radiators: 1 x Radiator GT Xtreme 360 / 5 x Radiator GT Xtreme 480
    Fans - 22 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition High Airflow - Dual Pack
    Controllers - Aqua Computer Aquaero 6 XT USB Fan Controller
    Sensors - 2 x Aqua Computer High-Flow Flow Sensor( one for each loop)

anyway the above is pretty much the entire build in its glory. the case will be another few weeks though, so just a waiting game at the moment.
    Any Qs please ask

BTW : I just want to say, Case-labs have been extremely helpful and cooperative throughout the ordering process. More than helpful regarding the customization etc. Very pleased with them.
    Chat Soon,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What exactly is this mental pc for? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Medical Simulations I think he said in the other thread :D Would it be rude to ask how much it set you back Titan?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 XXXtitan

Its purely for work related tasks. I am however. Thinking of doing some gaming on it.

if it's for work related tasks you should maybe have a look at a server board with ecc registered ram dual xenons and look at the new quadro M6000's. You've got a killer gaming pc specced out there but really for work tasks that require THREE titan X's you've got an unbalanced workstation.

Also consider changing the raid ssd's for a pcie flash drive, you shouldn't be using consumer flash drives, especially not in raid 0. price wise and in terms of performance.

if it's for work related tasks you should maybe have a look at a server board with ecc registered ram dual xenons and look at the new quadro M6000's. You've got a killer gaming pc specced out there but really for work tasks that require THREE titan X's you've got an unbalanced workstation.

Also consider changing the raid ssd's for a pcie flash drive, you shouldn't be using consumer flash drives, especially not in raid 0. price wise and in terms of performance.

I have previously used PCIE flash drives, However, I simply couldn't get the read/write I can get with multiple ssd in raid 0. Especially when your copying 4k fikes. I always normally have a raid 5 confi for backup.

My main work pc is a dual xenon setup, so not going down that route for my home PC.

PS - Ill check whats the fastest pcie ssd i can get is, If i can get something in-excess of 2gb ill go for that, as my primary OS drive.

Another Note: I was originally going for the As-rock extreme 11 x99, however, from my experience with this boards due to their lsi Controller this caused in-excess heat on the chip-set, so I couldn't overclock very high. With the Rampage I can buy a full mobo water cooling kit.
    Thanks,

• Advertisement

XXXtitan wrote: »
    I have previously used PCIE flash drives, However, I simply couldn't get the read/write I can get with multiple ssd in raid 0. Especially when your copying 4k fikes. I always normally have a raid 5 confi for backup.

My main work pc is a dual xenon setup, so not going down that route for my home PC.

PS - Ill check whats the fastest pcie ssd i can get is, If i can get something in-excess of 2gb ill go for that, as my primary OS drive.
    Thanks,

Do you mean 4k sectors or 4k resolution video files? PCIE flash drives are much faster and far more resilient than consumer solid state drives, and will offer much more IOPS than one connected via sata... and that includes 4k sectors

You also definitely shouldn't trust raid 5 as a backup as the rebuild time is ridiculous.

You'll definitely find a pcie ssd bigger than 2gb...

to reply to your edit, you really shouldn't be doing insane overclocks for simulations, especially with no error correction on your ram OR cheap drives

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You want a 750 series drive from Intel. PCI-E, NVME drive. Stupid fast, and much better access times and I/O than RAID SSD solutions.

Serephucus wrote: »
    You want a 750 series drive from Intel. PCI-E, NVME drive. Stupid fast, and much better access times and I/O than RAID SSD solutions.

Thanks for that, Ill check them out.

Again, thanks for all the comments.

Do you mean 4k sectors or 4k resolution video files? PCIE flash drives are much faster and far more resilient than consumer solid state drives, and will offer much more IOPS than one connected via sata... and that includes 4k sectors

You also definitely shouldn't trust raid 5 as a backup as the rebuild time is ridiculous.

You'll definitely find a pcie ssd bigger than 2gb...

to reply to your edit, you really shouldn't be doing insane overclocks for simulations, especially with no error correction on your ram OR cheap drives

Sorry I wasn't very familiar with what PCIE SSD I could get, however, I'm gonna change the OS drive to the INTEL 750 series. As per your advice.

What does your work machine with dual xenons not do that the 5960x does? Because losing error correction and several cores sounds mad in my book. Are you a bit of a dreamer trying to spec your if I win the lottery build or are you actually building a pc for work? If it's the latter I'd say you should cancel whatever orders you have at the moment and start planning again because you're seriously misappropriating funds on gaming hardware as it stands

• Advertisement

What does your work machine with dual xenons not do that the 5960x does? Because losing error correction and several cores sounds mad in my book. Are you a bit of a dreamer trying to spec your if I win the lottery build or are you actually building a pc for work? If it's the latter I'd say you should cancel whatever orders you have at the moment and start planning again because you're seriously misappropriating funds on gaming hardware as it stands

This PC is not a replacement for what I use in work. Its simply a computer I can run simulations on and do some gaming. In terms of zeons vs 5960x it simply non-relevant. you cannot compare a 18 core cpu to a 8 core cpu.

nor Would I be expecting the 5960 to compete with such a beast,

Winning the lottery comment?? I think it depends on one financial situation, couple thousand on a pc is not winning the lottery.

Another Note: I am more than welcome to suggestions regarding the balance of components.

BTW.

The components I have order are :
    MOBO
    CPU
    CASE
    2 X GPU

Don't be outraged that I asked if it was a if you win the lottey build, this forum tends to get people looking at speccing mental builds just for the fun of it. And really it's not a matter of financial situation, I would happily spend thousands of my own money on a pc if it was what I needed. If there's no actual need for it then yes a super overkill pc is for after the lottery win.

The pc components you've listed are not a 'couple thousand', though. One of those graphics cards is nearly a couple thousand, and you're saying three of them.

The 5960x and motherboard you've chosen are hardly bargain bucket territory and can definitely be compared to a xeon with a workstation motherboard as appropriate. You could be better served by two lower end xeons, or a single 5930k if you don't actually need the 10% performance difference (and the 500 euro difference).

What applications are you running and are you sure 16gb ram is enough? Are you sure you don't need error correction? Are you sure you need three titan X's and are you sure the quadro version would not be better?

Don't be outraged that I asked if it was a if you win the lottey build, this forum tends to get people looking at speccing mental builds just for the fun of it. And really it's not a matter of financial situation, I would happily spend thousands of my own money on a pc if it was what I needed. If there's no actual need for it then yes a super overkill pc is for after the lottery win.

The pc components you've listed are not a 'couple thousand', though. One of those graphics cards is nearly a couple thousand, and you're saying three of them.

The 5960x and motherboard you've chosen are hardly bargain bucket territory and can definitely be compared to a xeon with a workstation motherboard as appropriate. You could be better served by two lower end xeons, or a single 5930k if you don't actually need the 10% performance difference (and the 500 euro difference).

What applications are you running and are you sure 16gb ram is enough? Are you sure you don't need error correction? Are you sure you need three titan X's and are you sure the quadro version would not be better?

Firstly I do apologise for my ignorance in this regard, I work in the health sector so IT is not my area of knowledge.

I use a variety of applications in work, but This machine will not be a work replacement, more just a small bit of simulation with maybe some gaming. I use different applications for simulation, some I wont be using on this machine as It wont be required. applications I use are :
    CAE Caesar,Gaumard, Laerdal SimMan Trauma simulator, just to name a few. There will be some more intense applications which I wont be needing to use on this build.
    ideally 32gb RAM is best, but ATM16GB will be fine.

The quaddro is a great card, however, as Ill be gaming it simply would be a pure waste of power. not to mention it would not perform greatly, from experience. I will be gaming at 4k, so I believe sustainable rates can still only really be achieved with multiple GPUS.

Open to change though, however, I did buy some parts already. (MOBO
    CPU
    CASE
    2 X GPU)

pretty much everything I said before this was with my not-for-gaming hat on but now I see that medical simulation = flight simulation except for cutting people open. I was thinking more along the lines of computational simulation (think folding@home protein folding simulations).

Quadro and xeon would be a huge waste for gaming, but again I mistook simulation (games) for intensive compute tasks...

You'll have a great time gaming with what you have picked out, it's overkill but with 4k then two titan x's will definitely give you great solid frame rates.

I'd still recommend the intel drive above over 4 ssd's in raid 0 as you'll have better performance and the drive will last much longer than that array would before one of those drives would fail.
    But seeing as the goalposts have changed a bit I'm not sure you need more than a single regular ssd, since there's no need for the huge performance raid or pcie would give.

16gb non-ecc is perfectly fine for gaming, too.

Would you suggest leaving it at 2 titans? or would you see the real diff in adding another?

Thanks Again,

XXXtitan wrote: »
    Would you suggest leaving it at 2 titans? or would you see the real diff in adding another?

Thanks Again,

You'd be perfect with one let alone two! you'd see a performance increase in benchmarks adding a third but you wouldn't see any real world benefit.

You'd be perfect with one let alone two! you'd see a performance increase in benchmarks adding a third but you wouldn't see any real world benefit.

OK cool, thanks for the feedback.

Advertisement