Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Targeting Small Business Owners?

Options
  • 12-04-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I figured ye lot would be the best to ask! :)

Basically, I'll be pushing out a new service soon which targets small business owners. The types of businesses would be the likes of independent online stores, small start-ups, apps and other 'web based' businesses.

My marketing budget is small and I'm hesitant to splurge on CPC or other ad platforms for fear of not getting an ROI. They can be very tricky and often take months to get nailed down right.

So, my idea is to create five or six blog posts and release them on the company's blog, post them to a few strategic locations online and hopefully bring in visitors.

Other than that I'm thinking of targeting niche audiences. Ideas like sponsoring a podcast, sponsoring a YouTube channel, advertising on a popular blog or doing a giveaway contest are what I've come up with.

Do you guys have any ideas or have you come across effective ways of targeting business owners?

Where do you guys congregate online? Any other sites, blogs or podcasts a firm favorite of yours?

Would really appreciate any help! :)

Cheers,

Fukuyama

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Most start ups don't have a lot of time most likely way to get in front of them is email, knock on the door or go to networking events l don't think I have ever read a business blog or watched any YouTube videos. You'll need to make sure you have your spiel on the money I get loads of approaches about online stuff and everyone just says the same thing.

Giveaways get attention but often times not the people you are targeting just people wanting something for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Fukuyama wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I figured ye lot would be the best to ask! :)

Basically, I'll be pushing out a new service soon which targets small business owners. The types of businesses would be the likes of independent online stores, small start-ups, apps and other 'web based' businesses.

My marketing budget is small and I'm hesitant to splurge on CPC or other ad platforms for fear of not getting an ROI. They can be very tricky and often take months to get nailed down right.

So, my idea is to create five or six blog posts and release them on the company's blog, post them to a few strategic locations online and hopefully bring in visitors.

Other than that I'm thinking of targeting niche audiences. Ideas like sponsoring a podcast, sponsoring a YouTube channel, advertising on a popular blog or doing a giveaway contest are what I've come up with.

Do you guys have any ideas or have you come across effective ways of targeting business owners?

Where do you guys congregate online? Any other sites, blogs or podcasts a firm favorite of yours?

Would really appreciate any help! :)

Cheers,

Fukuyama

If what you are selling is promoted anyway like the verbiage above it would go straight to my bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Have you picked up the phone to any potential customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

jimmii wrote: »
    Most start ups don't have a lot of time most likely way to get in front of them is email, knock on the door or go to networking events l don't think I have ever read a business blog or watched any YouTube videos. You'll need to make sure you have your spiel on the money I get loads of approaches about online stuff and everyone just says the same thing.

Giveaways get attention but often times not the people you are targeting just people wanting something for nothing.

i once worked on a marketing campaign for a design company. They had a big booklet produced (it was truly impressive). We sent them out to pre targeted leaders in marketing departments across the uk and ireland. And after a week or so we called them. It was an excellent idea. The booklet was expensive to produce (i would imagine) however, when we called them and said "have you received the book we sent to you? the big orange one!?" they went from a soft lead, to a hard hot lead. All of them were impressed by it, some didnt require the design services just yet. All kept them on file, and most took up the services!

But the trick really is getting the right person to target it and deliver it to. No point sending freebies to the secretary. Decision maker only! Sometimes this takes hard work getting through the gate keeper or good online searching skills, but when you know how to do it, it gets easier and easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

i once worked on a marketing campaign for a design company. They had a big booklet produced (it was truly impressive). We sent them out to pre targeted leaders in marketing departments across the uk and ireland. And after a week or so we called them. It was an excellent idea. The booklet was expensive to produce (i would imagine) however, when we called them and said "have you received the book we sent to you? the big orange one!?" they went from a soft lead, to a hard hot lead. All of them were impressed by it, some didnt require the design services just yet. All kept them on file, and most took up the services!

But the trick really is getting the right person to target it and deliver it to. No point sending freebies to the secretary. Decision maker only! Sometimes this takes hard work getting through the gate keeper or good online searching skills, but when you know how to do it, it gets easier and easier!

I was referring to competitions as opposed to sending out freebies but good points raised. I know from my own experience I have used companies that have previously sent us freebies (printed products mostly) as you say can be expensive but it does mean they know the quality of your product straight away and you make that all important good first impression. Have also had the other side of it I remember one of the large fast food companies came in and gave us a free pizza for lunch it was nice but I would still never go there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

jimmii wrote: »
    I was referring to competitions as opposed to sending out freebies but good points raised. I know from my own experience I have used companies that have previously sent us freebies (printed products mostly) as you say can be expensive but it does mean they know the quality of your product straight away and you make that all important good first impression. Have also had the other side of it I remember one of the large fast food companies came in and gave us a free pizza for lunch it was nice but I would still never go there!

dominos all the way lol

your product quality should speak for itself if you can get it in front of a prospective client. If it doesnt then you will never be able to procure that business. I personally love this side of business! SME directors would usually open their own post so should be easy enough to get them to see it also!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gareth Sherry

Use the private message function on Facebook Pages (most small business facebook pages are maintained by the business owner) and Linkedin. Though be careful in your messaging. The hard sell could be flagged as spam. Instead think of a genuine way to help that business owner before pitching.

this is a free yet highly effective way to engage business owners.

Advertisement