Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio in small back garden

Options
  • 12-04-2015 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I'm hoping someone might be able to help give us an expectation of cost for paving a 25 square meter back garden.

We live in a terraced house with rear access through a garage. Whoever was doing the work in the garden would have access through that as opposed to through the house.

The garden is small enough with some old concrete paving, a weird semi circle of gravel surrounded by brick and some raised flower beds surrounded by sleepers. There are also two steps down from the back patio doors into the garden.

Our plan is to pave the whole area in Indian sandstone or something similar and just have very small narrow beds at the same level as the paving so as to maximise the space. We would like the steps into the house paved as well. There are a couple of drains that will have to be raised as well.

We had a guy out to quote, he explained that the two steps would have to be broken down and rebuilt because there isn't enough clearance for the door which he thinks will require a good bit of work. He quoted €1k for materials and €2k for labour. I thought this seemed a bit high but wanted to hear what people here think based on their experiences. We are hoping to get another couple of quotes but finding it hard to get recommendations so those would be gratefully received as well.

Comments

They will want a picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Just finished one around the same size.

Avoid Indian Sandstone, it's porous so discolours which means a lot of maintenance.

€1k is about right for materials and €2k wouldn't be far off the mark for labour (it takes longer than you think, especially with complications like access, drains, breaking stuff out).

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Thanks for the responses. Pic attached as requested.

What is a good alternative to Indian Sandstone? It is a south facing garden so wouldn't remain particularly damp after it rains.

Another question, does this qualify for the home improvements tax relief of 13.5% or whatever it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

levi wrote: »
    I'm hoping someone might be able to help give us an expectation of cost for paving a 25 square meter back garden.

We live in a terraced house with rear access through a garage. Whoever was doing the work in the garden would have access through that as opposed to through the house.

The garden is small enough with some old concrete paving, a weird semi circle of gravel surrounded by brick and some raised flower beds surrounded by sleepers. There are also two steps down from the back patio doors into the garden.

Our plan is to pave the whole area in Indian sandstone or something similar and just have very small narrow beds at the same level as the paving so as to maximise the space. We would like the steps into the house paved as well. There are a couple of drains that will have to be raised as well.

We had a guy out to quote, he explained that the two steps would have to be broken down and rebuilt because there isn't enough clearance for the door which he thinks will require a good bit of work. He quoted €1k for materials and €2k for labour. I thought this seemed a bit high but wanted to hear what people here think based on their experiences. We are hoping to get another couple of quotes but finding it hard to get recommendations so those would be gratefully received as well.

€ 3k is a little high, I would estimate the overall cost should be < 2.5K (incl 1 skip). Supply + Fit rates be approx. € 65.00 - 75.0 +VAT/sq m, any higher is rich. Costs will qualify for HRI support, Contractor must have tax clearance and be VAT registered.

Note all stones are porous, choosing which one is best will depend on relevant criteria. Most stones will require an annual cleaning, no big deal and avoid using pale coloured stone in north facing sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

What about to put an artificial (psynthetic) grass onstead of slates or stone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

Hi We have done similar type project approx 29 sq metre
    1. we got silver granite that costed us 30 per sq meter and black lime stone cobbles for border and rompox to fill .
    we also build small wall of 4.5 metres with the granite cobbles and capping with granite wall capping and two piers

i have to say it turned out very nice every one says stone looks very good, i also wanted to go for sandstone but heard so many stories of maintenance and discolouration .

total material was 2200 including sand and cement. labour approx 900.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

lovehathi wrote: »
    1. we got silver granite that costed us 30 per sq meter and black lime stone cobbles for border and rompox to fill .
    we also build small wall of 4.5 metres with the granite cobbles and capping with granite wall capping and two piers

i have to say it turned out very nice every one says stone looks very good, i also wanted to go for sandstone but heard so many stories of maintenance and discolouration .

You can expect much the same with granite, in fact with all stone paving. No such thing as maintenance free paving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

lovehathi wrote: »

Great Rates guys, 25m2 shouldnt be anymore than €2800 inc vat which may be claimed back on HRI subject to qualifying criteria etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭amerie2010

Also planning something similar to OP (area size 28 square meters) but it has been suggested by friends to look into getting concrete imprint paving. Anyone advise on this as to cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Thanks for all the helpful responses guys. Will let you know how we get on - a few fellas coming over to give quotes this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Same as everyone else said.
    Went with Indian limestone instead of sandstone and granite oatmeal borders.
    Plenty of colour when it's wet.
    Around 3K for similar area and alley access to back garden

Advertisement