Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does Triax work and what is best?

• 12-04-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just moved back to Ireland after a good few years away, and was looking at getting extra channels.

Sky is pretty pricey, but somebody mentioned a Triax box. I've had a look but it's not all that clear to me how it works, what channels you get, and whether you need a specific TV to go along with it.

If somebody could explain the basics (or direct me to somewhere that explains them) or even offer alternatives, that would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I always find this site good www.freetv.ie as there are videos explaining what each box does.

If you are talking about Sky and Triax then I assume you are referring to a combo box. This type of box connects up to your Saorview aerial to give you the Irish channels and also connects to your satellite dish for the UK channels. You can connect an external hard drive for recording of sorts.
    http://www.freetv.ie/saorview-combo.html

Triax also do a Saorview box for Irish channels only. (Note: I think this box still has a bug which Triax are slow to fix - picture freezes when left on the same channel for a while - changing channel fixes.)
    http://www.freetv.ie/saorview-set-top-box-receiver.html

I have the last box with a Humax freesat box on the satellite side. Freesat gives you the UK channels but with an interface just as good as Sky. Some also have built-in hard drives.

freetv.ie sell freesat boxes but they can also be bought on Amazon. This Manhatton is good value.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manhattan-HDR-S-Freesat-Receiver-320GB/dp/B009EO8CW6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1428857416&sr=1-3&keywords=freesat+hd+recorder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

At the moment I have a saorview TV which gives me all the channels listed on the 2nd link without the need for any box.

But somebody told me something about a one-off purchase of a box that would mean I didn't have to pay monthly fees to Sky or similar, but would get 'a load' of channels.

It sounded to good to be true (or legal) and it seems like that might be the case.

I don't know if I have a saorview arial - I just used a regular cable to connect the tv to the wall, turned it on, and the tv did all the tuning for me.

Sounds like a freesat box was actually what he meant - this allows you to pick up UK channels for free (beyond the purchase of the box itself, of course)? Or is Triax this kind of freesat box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't know if I have a saorview arial - I just used a regular cable to connect the tv to the wall, turned it on, and the tv did all the tuning for me.

Sounds like a freesat box was actually what he meant - this allows you to pick up UK channels for free (beyond the purchase of the box itself, of course)? Or is Triax this kind of freesat box?

Sorry I forgot this thread was in the terrestrial section and started yapping about satellite stuff! :)

Shouldn't have said saorview aerial per se - an aerial that worked before saorview should work I think (someone else might have more info.) I have a 15 year old style aerial, 3ft tall on my chimney for my saorview.

For your saorview TV to have the irish channels, it has to be connected to an aerial of some sort.

For UK channels you need either a FTA (Free To Air) type box or a Freesat box but you need a satellite dish aswell for these to work.

The Triax combo linked above gives you FTA UK channels. There are loads of FTA/combo boxes.

A freesat box gives similar channels with a nicer interface that is automatically updated for you but its more expensive.

Maybe post your query in the satellite section if that is what you are after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

odckdo wrote: »
    Sorry I forgot this thread was in the terrestrial section and started yapping about satellite stuff! :)

Shouldn't have said saorview aerial per se - an aerial that worked before saorview should work I think (someone else might have more info.) I have a 15 year old style aerial, 3ft tall on my chimney for my saorview.

For your saorview TV to have the irish channels, it has to be connected to an aerial of some sort.

For UK channels you need either a FTA (Free To Air) type box or a Freesat box but you need a satellite dish aswell for these to work.

The Triax combo linked above gives you FTA UK channels. There are loads of FTA/combo boxes.

A freesat box gives similar channels with a nicer interface that is automatically updated for you but its more expensive.

Maybe post your query in the satellite section if that is what you are after?
    Hey, thanks, really - this is all really helpful.

I moved in 3 weeks ago - can't see an aerial of any kind on the roof - I just got the kind of cable that my parents would have used 20 years ago and used that to connect the tv to the wall. Then turned on the tv, and the saorview tv tuner did the rest. Assuming you are correct, this means there is some sort of aerial that the tv is connected to.

I basically have all the Irish channels already, but it sounds like I would need a dish installed before I could get any of the UK channels. Is that about right?

I assume that the Triax combo box you linked to also needs a dish installed?

Basically, I don't want to pay monthly, and I'd rather not pay to install a dish either, but it sounds like I need to do that to get the UK channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

osarusan wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just moved back to Ireland after a good few years away, and was looking at getting extra channels.

Sky is pretty pricey, but somebody mentioned a Triax box. I've had a look but it's not all that clear to me how it works, what channels you get, and whether you need a specific TV to go along with it.

If somebody could explain the basics (or direct me to somewhere that explains them) or even offer alternatives, that would be great.

Thanks.

Welcome back to the Emerald isle :)

Triax is the name of a company that makes Sat boxes
    Terrestrial boxes etc....

If you are looking for the UK channels on a stand alone box then you will need a Freesat/Free to air box. Any company that makes boxes for this purpose will do so its not just a Triax thing. If you are looking for the Irish channels then again you can get a stand alone box for this purpose. If you would like the convenience of having Sat and Terrestrial on the one box then you would need whats called a Combo box which again can be got by different manufacturers. They will work with any TV. Of course you can also get TVs that have built in tuners so you wont need any box at all.

You will need a dish for the UK channels and an aerial for the Irish channels. Below is a link for the Freesat channels.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/channels

That is a very rough summary of what you need :)

As was said above in another post the FreeTV website linked is a very good place for any info you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement