Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choice: Is doing both higher level Biology and Phys Chem too much science?

• 12-04-2015 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm in Junior Cert right now, and it's time to give in your subject choices to the school.

For college, I'm looking at possibly Biomedical Science/Engineering, Biotechnology, Medicine, Psychology, or even Accountancy, so I was planning to do higher level Biology, Accountancy (two subjects I enjoy), French and Geography for extra points. My parents strongly recommended to do one of Chemistry or Physics though instead of Geography, so we came to an agreement of HL Biology, Phys Chem, French and Accountancy.

Is that too much science? My teachers recommended us not to do three science subjects for the LC, but Phys Chem is only counted as one subject and takes parts out of each of Physics and Chemistry.

I would be happy to do them, but has anyone actually done these before, and would discourage this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you like the subjects and find them easy, why not? Many people do three sciences for the Leaving

Make sure your parents understand it's your college course, not theirs. Choose what you would like to do, not anyone else's choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Most of the colleges have a requirement of two science subjects at a reasonable grade to enter science courses. Look up the requirements for the courses you're interested in on the websites of universities you might want to go to, (not just the local one!) and try to keep your options open.

It will be at least a year and a half before you need to make choices about third level, so try to make sure that you CAN enter most of the courses offered. Almost all of the courses you mentioned will require HL maths, so do that anyway! (And cash in on the bonus points!)

I don't know much about the Phys/Chem course, but I did HL biology and HL chemistry. You need to be sure that you are able for the chemistry, about half of my class switched subjects. Try to read up on what you will be covering if you choose Phys/Chem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Pick subjects you like. That's half the battle. Lots of students take two science subjects. Quite a number take three sciences. You are lucky if your schools offers physics and chemistry separately and also the combined subject.

I did Biology and the Phys/Chem combined subject for my LC and it was fine. I'm a science teacher now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I'm currently a Sixth Year student hoping to go into Engineering next year. If you wish to pursue a Science related degree I would really recommend doing two sciences. I only kept on one for the LC (Physics) and really regret not picking a second (probably would have picked Chem). I will not be at a huge disadvantage from not studying it but it would have complimented Physics and would have been useful for third level.

Just pick what you enjoy, if you enjoy the Sciences, do at least two. Never pick subjects because they have high A/B rates. I did that and now I am really regretting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

I'm hoping to start medicine in trinity this year and I do all 3 science subjects....and if I was in 3rd year again I wouldn't do french and would do applied maths instead!

• Advertisement
Advertisement