Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to make friends

Options
  • 12-04-2015 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello all.
    Im a german woman and have recently moved (from the uk) to co leitrim.
    I live rurally and its so lonely here as I dont know anyone yet. Just wondered if anyone is out there who wants to chat?
    Not looking for boyfriends btw im happily married ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mr leitrim

msmia wrote: »
    Hello all.
    I live rurally and its so lonely here as I dont know anyone yet. Just wondered if anyone is out there who wants to chat?

Hi, I live in Carrick on Shannon and would like to make new friends in Leitrim too.
    Please private message me, and we can arrange to meet up for a coffee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Two posters with no post history, both strangers, arrange to meet up privately on an anonymous message board. What could possibly go wrong?

Whosthis wrote: »
    Two posters with no post history, both strangers, arrange to meet up privately on an anonymous message board. What could possibly go wrong?

Well when you move somewhere new, and don't know anyone; that's the idea of joining a forum to make new friends.

Not everyone is Graham Dwyer on here you know! Some of us just want to make new friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭thomqs

happy marriages dont last forever ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 msmia

mr leitrim wrote: »
    Hi, I live in Carrick on Shannon and would like to make new friends in Leitrim too.
    Please private message me, and we can arrange to meet up for a coffee?
    Hi mr leitrim
    thanks for getting back to me but unfortunately hubby wouldn't be happy if I meet up with a man.
    Hope you understand but wish u lots of luck in your search for friends.
    Yes it is indeed very difficult for some people when they up and leave to a new country. Huge step so all my best wishes ur way

• Advertisement

Hi mr leitrim
    thanks for getting back to me but unfortunately hubby wouldn't be happy if I meet up with a man.
    Hope you understand but wish u lots of luck in your search for friends.
    Yes it is indeed very difficult for some people when they up and leave to a new country. Huge step so all my best wishes ur way

No problem, I totally understand.
    You might want to edit your post to say female friends wanted, then you may get a better response.
    Welcome to Leitrim anyway.
    Check mycarrick.ie Facebook page for updates on local events, and also the Leitrim Observer for clubs to join, things to do.
    Joining local clubs is a good way to make friends locally with a common interest; such as yoga or meditation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

what area of Leitrim are you Msmia?

Thank you mr leitrim thats such good advice and so sorry I didnt mention it in my post re male friends thought I did :s

what area of Leitrim are you Msmia?
    Hi mrs cockett I live near mohill. You from around there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Hi Msmia, we live close to you and my wife is always looking for new friends. We moved to Leitrim a year and a half ago and have made a few good friends. It helps that we have children. We met most people through our children. Anyway she is sitting with me now and I mentioned your post and she said she would gladly meet you for a coffee etc. I won't be there so hubby won't mind :)

Maybe send me a pm with your number and she will contact you directly.

• Advertisement

Hiya!
    Thats awesome Thank you! Is ur wife on facebook? Maybe she could add me or I add her lol. Met some nice people on facebook last couple of days!
    Mia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

She is. Pm me your name and or a link and she will add you.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

No, Mia I do not live near Mohill but I pass through regularly.Glad you have contact with someone who can point you in right direction re activities etc in your area. Country living can be very lonely.

No, Mia I do not live near Mohill but I pass through regularly.Glad you have contact with someone who can point you in right direction re activities etc in your area. Country living can be very lonely.

There is a new Humanist group that meets in Carrick the 3rd Sunday of the month.
    2.30pm-4.30pm in Paddy's Bar on Main Street.
    Tea and sandwiches with a suggested 3 Euro donation.
    All newcomers welcome. A nice way to meet new people and makes friends.
    If going to mass on Sunday's isn't your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Hello all.

Join the ICA (irish Countrywomen's Association). They're old fashioned (into baking and local history) but it's a way to meet local ladies. They meet in the Canon Donaghue Hall (on the left as you leave town near the Catholic Church. It's not a religious organisation.
    Irish people are friendly but can be a bit reticent about making friends. Just be friendly and chatty and people will be more open when they know you. We can be a bit put off by people we hardly know making binding arrangements like inviting people for a meal or whatever. Not quite the welcoming stereotype but just a different slant on it than what people expect.
    The rector in Mohill used to have cookery nights for charity (well his wife did) but he moved for the north last year. Don't know if the CoI have any other sort or social stuff happening but it's worth asking. You don't have to be religious. They're just glad of the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GardeningGirl

Hi ye all 
    Moving to north Leitrim in a couple of months.
    Will be renting a cottage with my friend but also looking to meet other nice folks in the area who enjoy similar stuff.
    Things getting the thumbs up from me include...
    *Horses and everything to do with them!
    *Dogs, animals in general
    *Eating!
    *Art n crafts
    *Outdoorsy stuff, walking - really want to climb BenBulben and down the end of Slieve League
    *Yoga (sometimes...)
    *New languages
    *Road trips
    *Permaculture
    *Movies
    *Gardening
    *Helping out when I can, old fashioned neighbourliness
    *Definitely NOT the gym 

If ya fancy meeting for a chat or have any tips on must do stuff in the region please get in touch!!

Advertisement