Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laochra na Laoise III - Vintage Cycle - 24th May.

• 12-04-2015 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

Major cycling events often move around the calendar (the Vuelta was held in April until 1995), and so the annual vintage spin around the back roads of Co. Laois has moved from its original September date to May.

This year's spin is on Sunday May 24th. As before, we'll meet at the Midway foodcourt (Junction 17 of the M7/M8 - http://www.midwaym7.com/) at 9am for a coffee and a look at everyone's bikes, and roll out at 10am.

The full spin is 115km, but there are also 60km and 75km options. All share the first 50km to lunch in Abbeyleix, and the full route then heads over The Cut in the Slieve Bloom mountains.

Route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/670530728

To quote the Godfather of Steel, Brendan Hennessy: The rule of thumb is pre-1987 steel bikes with non-aero brakes, friction gear levers and toe clips. The exceptions are Vitus/Alan duralinox frames and first generation look pedals. The spirit is inclusive, so no worries if your bike is a little younger and a woollen jersey is always a good place to start if the right bike hasn't turned up yet. As with the previous spins, this is a gathering of like minded cyclists, not a formal event. No fees apply, but cover your own costs.

Look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on the day. The weather can't be any worse than Connemara in March (or LnL I)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

It still rains in May.....right?

Have to retire the Road Ace after I found a crack in the frame at the top of the seat stays.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Steel bike with recent groupo welcome? Will wear woolly jersey .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Have to retire the Road Ace after I found a crack in the frame at the top of the seat stays.

Really sorry to hear that, what's the plan, rebuild the giant 24.5" roadace?

Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jitterbug1974

Looking forward to it gents.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

RobFowl wrote: »
    Steel bike with recent groupo welcome? Will wear woolly jersey .......

Yes, definitely. They're more guidelines rather than rules. You may be put on the front if there's a good headwind!

• Advertisement

Really sorry to hear that, what's the plan, rebuild the giant 24.5" roadace?

Bren

No don't worry. That frame still has your name on it. It's cracked at the weld so I'm sure it can be fixed.

Not in Laois it doesn't (or at least not all the time). Hope the Road Ace is back up and running soon. I have a welder on the farm here if you need it.

This is the medium route for anyone who doesn't want to, or have time to do the full 125km. It works out at 85km, and follows the full route for the first 70km of that.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/685542998

I'm going to get in touch with the Gallic Kitchen in Abbeyleix to see about getting a spot reserved for a quick lunch, and to have somewhere to store the bikes. To give me a rough idea of numbers, if you're hoping to come down on the 24th, could you please post here or else send me a PM? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Daithi BC wrote: »
    I'm going to get in touch with the Gallic Kitchen in Abbeyleix to see about getting a spot reserved for a quick lunch, and to have somewhere to store the bikes. To give me a rough idea of numbers, if you're hoping to come down on the 24th, could you please post here or else send me a PM? Thanks.

Is that the place, we had had lunch last year?

• Advertisement

It is. I've been there a couple of times since, and always been happy with it.

I should be along again this year.

If my mongrel Peugeot and I are allowed again, I'll be there.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If my mongrel Peugeot and I are allowed again, I'll be there.

More than welcome! Given that I'll be on a bike that's pretending to be a TI Raleigh, I don't have any high moral ground to stand on.

Hi DBC,

I'll be there, possibly tandeming with Sarge 10. Hoping to bring an in-law or two also. The Benotto will be on too.

Poor Ti Raleigh, it's pretence is just a Reynolds 753 decal!

Bren

Brendan - It would be fantastic to see a tandem out. Hope that works out.

At the Anjou Velo Vintage in 2013, I had the Canadian attaché to Germany turn the TI upside down to check the its serial number. He reckoned that it was a Raleigh, but made in the wrong factory to be a TI.

If I get time to build it, I might be on a pimped out Ribble 653.

If I get time to build it, I might be on a pimped out Ribble 653.

Sounds great. What pimping are you planning?

I did the Cycle against Suicide leg from Clonmel to Portlaoise yesterday. It reminded me of LnL 1. Hope the 24th brings better weather.

Sounds great. What pimping are you planning?

I did the Cycle against Suicide leg from Clonmel to Portlaoise yesterday. It reminded me of LnL 1. Hope the 24th brings better weather.

Christ,yesterday was a stinker weather wise. Fair play for getting out.

Hoping to throw some parts at this....
    Ribble.jpg

Not truly vintage but the classic white bands and funky paint job reminds me of something from the 70s.:)

Not truly vintage but the classic white bands and funky paint job reminds me of something from the 70s.:)

I wouldn't really care if it's vintage or not. That is a thing of beauty. Hope you manage to get it ready in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

I wouldn't really care if it's vintage or not. That is a thing of beauty. Hope you manage to get it ready in time.

So, is it a vintage event, or a 'vintage' event with vintage-look-a-likes, or just an open spin for anybody with any kind of bike, or what? In other words is anyone welcome with any oul bike?

Hi Ho...and off to cycle we go!

There are certainly different views on this. We don't all have vintage bikes, but many have an interest. We've always said 'all welcome' but make an effort (perhaps a vintage jersey etc.). I think anyone who's come on a modern bike has always wished they had got a vintage or at least a steel one.

As these spins have always been informal affairs its been a small enough bunch who've gathered. I think this is going to be different in September for the official 'Vintage International Classic' in Killarney commemorating the 30th anniversary of the Nissan. We have a great route and as an official sportive people may ask or demand can they ride their modern road bike. My answer in that regard is you don't drive your modern car in a vintage car rally!

I just finished this Raleigh M-Trax 300R for a club mate. While post 80's it certainly represents the shift from the old to the new. Came out well though. Best wishes, Brendan

17477896106_23681539a3_z.jpg

DBC,

Meant to add that we should have 10 souls from www.oldvelos.com aka Tóin na Gaoith

Bren

Im afraid, I out from this. two broken ribs and broken collarbone have sidelined me foe sis or seven weeks.
    On the plus side, my bike was not damaged.

Im afraid, I out from this. two broken ribs and broken collarbone have sidelined me foe sis or seven weeks.

Eamonnator - really sorry to hear that. Hope you heal up quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Unrelated to thread but sorry to read this. Oh no :( Get well soon Eamonnator ((()))

Speedy recovery Eamonnator. When I hear of injuries as yours and others, I've been blessed with my two spills. Glad to walk away with nothing more serious than road rash.

Likewise Eamonatar,

But they are the injuries of a pro! To keep your morale high keep Sunday September 13th free for the Vintage International Classic in Killarney.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 31 imskilguy

Hi Eamonatar, I dont post on this too often but Im hoping to go to Laois. Sorry to hear about your injuries. Hope you get plenty of rest and watch the Giro!

• Advertisement

Likewise Eamonatar,

But they are the injuries of a pro! To keep your morale high keep Sunday September 13th free for the Vintage International Classic in Killarney.

Brendan

Shameless plug! Would you now move it back a fortnight so it's not interfering with the spring barley harvest :)

Shameless maybe, but also an opportunity for thanking you for moving LnL III to accommodate the Vintage International Classic in Killarney on September 13th....oohps there I go again!

Hope the numbers are stacking up? I've put it up on the Nissan International Classic facebook page - well worth a look. Could someone notify the vets club an others?

Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarge10

Daithi, count me and my tandem in (good news Brendan). Andrius will be there with me too so thats another two for lunch. Sorry to hear about your woes Eamonator. Hope the recovery goes well. See you all in a couple of weeks

The Gallic Kitchen in Abbeyleix is booked for lunch. They've reserved the conservatory for us again, and the courtyard is available for us to put our bikes into while we're eating.

We're looking at riding out from Portlaoise at 9:40am to get there in time (allowing for a relaxed pace and any technical mishaps!) I'll be at the Midway foodcourt from 9am for coffee and general bike ogling.

17747829041_e5b23bd262_z.jpg

I've done a recce on most of this over the last couple of weeks, so I'm happy I know the distances between most points on the route. Road surfaces are generally in good nick, so I'm not expecting any impromptu strada bianca action.

• Advertisement

My build is going swimmingly.:rolleyes: Only took two days to install the bloody bottom bracket. It's now in the frame, my guess is it'll never come back out.
    Seems the threads got a good coating when the frame was resprayed. Did my best to clean them out with a wire brush. Really felt like it was cross threading itself but it wasn't. Felt sooooooo wrong installing the cups they were that tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭The Ging and I

Best option on over painted or dirty threads is to go to a shop that has a bottom bracket threading tool and get them to run it through.
    Also try different cups as the tolerance varies between manufactures.

Taxman it could have been worse!!!. I had a bottom bracket adjustable steel cup in an aluminium Peugeot frame that had galvanised itself (steel and aluminium is not a good mix) Took 3 months of hard pain to get it out. Tried everything, broke more tookls and extractors than I care to mention and eventually had to weld a long steel bar to it to give me the leverage to turn it out. I sure as hell replaced it with an aluminium BB

by the way Brendan, I'll be intentionally dislocating my hips, so while I'm stoking that tandem and my legs will be turning I won't actually be doing any of the pedalling!!!

:)
    sarge10 wrote: »
    Taxman it could have been worse!!!. I had a bottom bracket adjustable steel cup in an aluminium Peugeot frame that had galvanised itself (steel and aluminium is not a good mix) Took 3 months of hard pain to get it out. Tried everything, broke more tookls and extractors than I care to mention and eventually had to weld a long steel bar to it to give me the leverage to turn it out. I sure as hell replaced it with an aluminium BB

If I ever do have to remove it I'm sure it'll be a similar story to yours.
    Packed the bearings with loads of grease so they should fine for many many miles. Also applied loads of anti seize to the threads just in case. At least I can take solace in that it will never come loose mid ride.

@The Ging and I If I'd started this build when I should've, I would have had plenty of time to drop it into a shop to get the threads cleaned out with the proper tools. Left things way too late to start running into silly issues like this. It's in now, so on with the rest of the build.:)

• Advertisement

I took my Raleigh out this evening to make sure it was ok for Sunday. I was just thinking to myself that it was 11 months since its last major breakdown when it decided to turn itself into a single speed by dropping half of the rear derailleur on the ground. Managed to limp into a bike shop who put a very non-period correct new jockey wheel into it, so it's back working for now, but if anyone has a (cheap) appropriate Campy derailleur for sale, please let me know.

Just a reminder of the routes for anyone who has a period-appropriate GPS device and wants to put them in:

Long: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/670530728
    Medium: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/685542998

Both routes share the first 50km to lunch in Abbeyleix. There is also a 60km short version for anyone in a hurry.

Meeting at the Midway foodcourt (Junction 17 of the M7/M8 - http://www.midwaym7.com/) at 9am for a coffee and a look at everyone's bikes. Brendan's welcoming speech is at 9:30am followed by roll-out at 9:40am.

Ahem, ahem,

Unaccustomed as I am.... but I'm rushing as usual,

See ye tomorrow,

Brendan + 2,

Tomorrows entry. Won't be running the Look pedals.

th_DSC_0383.jpg

Thanks to everyone who made it up and I hope you all had a good day. At least the weather played its part this year. Thanks to everyone at the Gallic Kitchen in Abbeyleix as well for making us so welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

Daithi, thanks for organising it all, some lovely bikes on display, and really good routes - all very enjoyable. Your choice of the Gallic Kitchen was great, perfect to be able to take bikes through to the courtyard to keep them safe, and the food was excellent. Tip for any cyclists arranging a route in that area, aim for Abbeyleix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Looking forward to some pics hopefully

Arms lowered on the drops, our backs hunched down and eyes focussed from beneath peaked caps we aimed the tandem at the fast approaching chicane, sought the racing line, and pedalled furiously. From my short time on this 1980’s time-trial tandem I knew it handled well and although the brakes were more inclined for speeding than stopping I was looking forward to the expectant whoosh and inward whoop of executing the perfect corner. With the front wheel perfectly positioned on the solid white line and shifting our weight for the fast left the tandem did something very funny – it tried to overtake itself. The back wheel strained, buckled, flopped, flipped, did figures of eight and God knows what. The line we took, or at least the one the tandem took, was no longer a racing line but the equivalent of a luas line, with the tram taking a 90 degree bend, up O’Connell street.Luckily there wasn’t a tram coming the other way.

We made it. We stopped though. We shuddered. We said “won’t do that again so”. And we remembered why our riding buddies on their equally vintage steeds were going in a completely different direction and we were on the ride of shame back home. We had started well when the group left PortLaoise. Stoker and tandem owner, let’s call him Bram, laughed devilishly and said “by the time the sun goes down you’ll be mine forever”. Oops, wrong Stoker. In fact he said “I’ll clip in and we’ll push off”. We managed the perfect tandem start. It was one of many on our eventful vintage bike ride on Laochra na Laoise.

17897078198_14de2d06da_z.jpg

Laochra na Laoise is the brainchild of DBC and today was our third run. No one would guess that Co. Laois is a secret climbing cyclists haven with very good roads [mention appropriate Minister’s name here] and nearly no traffic. With his vast knowledge of the roads and ways of the Queens county (there was a referendum you know) DBC each year has produced a new route each with scenic views and charming villages with spectacular names. Did we really go through a village called Spink or was it a dream?

As ever this is a vintage racing bicycle run with each person bringing their latest oldest bling and much discussion about patina. But for Bram and I this was not about patina, it was about punctures. Punctures quick and punctures slow. Punctures due to an ancient narrow racing tire (on a tandem, really?) and punctures due to protruding spokes through the rim. That should have caused alarm bells but I was so focussed on my magnificent solution – no act of charity is foreign to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul – I didn’t trouble myself too much to discuss the wherefores and whatnots. That was left to those cycling behind us who notified us of our back wheel resembling the straight walk endeavours of a drunk in the early hours of the morning. Our day was doomed and our hangover was fast approaching. We cautioned those around us to stay nowhere near us (“she’s about to blow captain” Bram the stoker might have said) and we pulled in again. We borrowed some spare tubes (thanks DBC) and set off for the short-cut to food stop of Abbyleix. The others took the long-cut there.

18031614906_eaba0093b0_z.jpg

Our ride back was pleasant apart from the annoying fact that by checking our GPS position on my smartphone I lost the data to my strava app. Oh and apart from having to stop innumerable times to inflate the ever deflating tyre. Oh and the annoying pump that did marvels for my biceps and feck all for pumping. Oh yeah, and apart from the near death experience on that corner somewhere near Spink. My God that place really does exist. All that said though I’m a fair hand at tandem starts now!

As ever thanks to DBC for the fantastic route and his wife, child and in-laws for putting up with his absence (avid readers will note that for every vintage cyclist there’s a near village of family members and friends who put up with our passion). Thanks to all the lads who turned up from at least 7 counties especially Bram and his blessed tandem. As has been mentioned elsewhere great thanks and recommendation for the Gallic Kitchen in Abbeyleix for their fine fare, great prices and lovely welcome. Merci merci – there’s something about tandem riders and doing everything in twos.

Brendan Hennessy: the Godfather of steel and my nomination for the next poet laureate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Thanks a Million DBC for another memorable outing ... What a great day out. I got a last minute permit to partake from Mrs Yaris. A throwaway comment about "The lads are meeting in Portlaois" The reply was a "Why don't you take a run out then"

Booked the Maldron and took the train to Portarlington. Half way to Portlaoise and they phone to say that they were booking me into the Heritage as they were in stuck.

A quiet night in and an early start. A really nice turnout of classic/vintage steeds. The tandem was a sight to behold. From behind it looks like sarge was on his own....

After a few unscheduled stops we arrived in Abbyleix. The Gallic Kitchen even had a lovely artwork on the window to welcome us. The food was superb and the craic was mighty - all jokes appeared to be directed at the tandem. We should have a referendum to give equal rights to tandem riders and not have them subjected to such ridicule !!

Outside was a collection of steam traction machines a showmans engine and a steam lorry doing a run from Dublin to Cork for charity. The smell and sound of them achiness was superb. All totally immaculate

We headed away and met with a few more members of Toin le Gaoth who were on a touring expedition. They were staying in Abbyleix overnight

Off we headed to Mountrath at a right clip in fairness. I dropped my glasses and had to go back jjust as taxman was really winding the pace up. There was six of us left. As we headed into town Benotto started to really wind it on leaving us in his wake. Ray tried to jump across but his gear slipped under the force he was driving. All seemed to calm as we headed on. I wasn't going to let Benotto away with the earlier jump... I was in the right place. I told Alec with 1 mile to go to make a burst for it I got on his wheel and we caught them all asleep. Stuff falling out of my pockets and nearly going ass over tit on a kerb.... Some craic !!

I said my bye-byes and headed for the train back and in true Yaris style I ended up in Mountmellick but found Portarlington.......!

What a great day out and Thanks a million DBC for the great routes - Roll on September 13th in Kerry !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement