Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun insurance

Options
  • 12-04-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi Folks
    Looking for some advice in regards to gun insurance. My house insurance is up for renewal this month and it has got me wondering if my guns are covered under the general content or would they have to be listed separately (which would increase my policy quote)

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

probably covered if stolen from house. You might want to cover the gun for accidental damage, which would cost in the region of 1% or 2% of the value as well as your liability. Talk to insurer/broker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Once each gun or piece of equipment, scope etc, falls under the maximum single item value then its covered. Ask the company what is the max value so you know. This threshold is for 'valuables' - jewelry, art work etc. Based on the older thresholds from the '90s some of todays sofas and home entertainment system would be way over the top. Most people are woefully under insured when it comes to household contents which is more of a concern then individual items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Any advice or insight would be appreciated...

Personally, I would not bother. Just lock them down.

More than likely, you'll need a rider. I find they are very expensive and that if your guns aren't stolen for a decade, cost ineffective.

Are we talking a lot of guns or value? Perhaps, if you were in to the tens of thousands of value, but for a few euro? Nope!

Also, in some areas of the world, firearm owners who requested riders for firearms had all of their policies canceled, citing hire risk categories. Although, I do not see Ireland at that level of paranoia yet, feel, that it is closer than I would like to believe.

Personally, I do not wish to have any insurance company knowing about firearms and requesting all serial numbers.

I bet the money you spend on a rider in one decade would buy you a safe on par with a bank vault.

Lastly, I bet you'll go through a lot of hassle, pay a nice premium, and in the end, if something is stolen get pennies on the euro.

I would pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

I have mine insured through my policy with AA. I think about €30ish extra. Covers me when transporting them as well, including abroad.

They don't need any serial numbers or details like that just a general description 'rifle & scope', = €4,000 etc. If they get stolen or lost you will need to show your receipts and certs etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I have my rifle as a named item on my home contents insurance. It's over the threshold so it was a case of name it or not have it covered. The insurance company didn't change their quote based on me mentioning it.

If anyone comes across a way of insuring a firearm at a reasonable rate as an individual item I'd be interested in hearing about it. Something that would cover theft or damage in transit and/or abroad as well as theft from storage would be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

The NARGC offer cover for guns, don't know the ins and outs of the policy or if you've to be a member

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭walsh.peter

thanks for the replies everyone

Advertisement