Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Emirates 777

• 12-04-2015 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Anyone know if emirates are going to upgrade their old 777's with the new inflight entertainment system. Last two times I've flown with them it has been old 777's with the old system. Is Dublin seen as a less important route that gets older aircraft?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Some slight thread drift here, but I've got to say that I was really disappointed by the comfort when I flew Emirates out of Dublin recently. Ten across seating in a 777 is too many – I just don't fit...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

I don't know the fleet dispositions in terms of IFE but Emirates are starting to retire their 'older' B77Ws next year, the 2005/ 2006 A6-EB_ ones. So I wouldn't expect any updates on those.

Dublin receives a mix of older and newer ones. A6-ENU a few days ago was 2014-built, delivered in September. That's younger than any Aer Lingus aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Noxegon wrote: »
    Some slight thread drift here, but I've got to say that I was really disappointed by the comfort when I flew Emirates out of Dublin recently. Ten across seating in a 777 is too many – I just don't fit...

isn't that standard though on most wide bodies ?

3 4 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

woodzie wrote: »
    Anyone know if emirates are going to upgrade their old 777's with the new inflight entertainment system. Last two times I've flown with them it has been old 777's with the old system. Is Dublin seen as a less important route that gets older aircraft?

The vast majority of the - 300s have the new interface.
    Dublin actually tends to get the newer aircraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

the_monkey wrote: »
    isn't that standard though on most wide bodies ?

3 4 3

3-4-3 is the new standard for some airlines operating the 777. I think Emirates were the first to put it in and others (such as Air Canada) have followed suit. BA for example still have 3-3-3.

It's pretty uncomfortable as the seats have to be narrowed and the aisle is narrower, so if you are in an aisle seat you risk getting knocked by everyone who passes by.

But even then, not all wide bodies are 3-3-3 or 3-4-3, e.g. 767 is 2-3-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭davepatr07

Have been on fairly new one's when flying in and out of Dublin, sure beats the A332's they had at the start! EY A332's are more comfortable than EK's.

I try and get on Cathay Pacific, Qatar or Singapore for 777's with the 3-3-3 if I can. Ridiculous having 3-4-3 on that aircraft in economy. I found EY A345's and 346's ok but seats are still narrow.

Don't mind the EK A380's 3-4-3 as it feels a more spacious cabin especially at the back with the cabin crew rest bulkhead taking the middle seats. The EK and EY 777's feel claustrophobic in economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Yeah, the A380 3-4-3 was fine.

I'm not a big guy and I found the 3-4-3 in the 777 to be horrid – to the point that I'll probably use EY next time and put up with the clusterfudge that is AUH...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

The vast majority of the - 300s have the new interface.
    Dublin actually tends to get the newer aircraft.

I've flown a couple of times to Dubai on Emirates recently. They have a very good IFE on the DUB-DXB route, plenty of choice on a big (for economy) screen, the business class screens are even bigger, and I assume the first class are huge, but we don't even get to see first class, different airbridge any everything fro them.

They don't have the Wifi on that route though, which is a pity since it seems to be standard on the A380 but only on some of the 777s. Apparently it has some small data allowance for free and then hundreds of megs for only $1.

Nice that they have a couple of outside cameras to view too, forward and straight down. I'd say the forward view would be very good arriving into DUB with those strong gusty winds or at crosswind limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

woodzie wrote: »

Flew out of Dublin on the Saturday and it seemed to be a newer model than my previous fight - in flight mobile and wifi service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Don;t mean to keep the thread off topic but I had a fairly recent experience in a 3-4-3 777 on an American Airlines 77W from LAX to LHR. 31" Pitch and 17" wide seats made for a pretty tight economy class I have to say. Just not pleasant at all. Would really put me off using EK or EY on a route that uses their 777's

Out of interest, is the 77W that Emirates send to Dublin 2 class or 3 class? I see from Seatguru that their 2 class 77W's offer 34" pitch in economy, more than economy on the three class aircraft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Flew last week from dub to Dxb and had the older a6-ebo. Had wifi.
    Then was on Dxb to del on a6-ebm and this did not have wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Out of interest, is the 77W that Emirates send to Dublin 2 class or 3 class?

The ones I been on recently have been 3 class

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

Cheers guys. I just of just been unlucky that the two times I've flown with them, it was on old aircraft. Good to hear they're retiring the old 777's from next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Really shows the difference between the likes of Emirates and airlines from practically any other part of the world when they're getting rid of 777-300ER's after only 10 years of service after operating them from new.

Put that into context versus Lufthansa getting over 120,000 hours out of some of their 744's, or Delta operating 28 year old MD80's that they've operated themselves from new. Just completely different business models I guess!:)

Advertisement