Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pie plate...

• 13-04-2015 7:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question,

Can I remove the pie plate on a new bike without removing the cassette?

Cheers,
    J.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

snollup wrote: »
    Can I

You can I guess, it's just a lot more awkward. A snips, knife, hacksaw at a guess would be the tools.

I'd also imagine a few layers of skin removed from fingers as well as possible scratches to the spokes.

Is it that you don't have the cassette removal tool? That's a pretty good investment in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭g0g

I removed it from my road bike when I got it using a cheap snips or whatever that tool is called. It was awkward, I came close to scratching bits of the bike a number of times and I'm sure I caught my fingers in the partially "snips-ed" pied plate a number of times, but I got there in the end! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Cuts and removal of pieces of skin are a small price for the removal of a pie plate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'm keeping mine on forever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Cuts and removal of pieces of skin are a small price for the removal of a pie plate.

Indeed, but for a different small outlay you can buy the tools to remove many many pie plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,797 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why not leave it there. It serves the purpose of protecting the wheel and the chain/drive train, should your chain move past the largest cog.

It weights next to nothing, has no negative impact on the performance of the wheel. So just leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Why not leave it there. It serves the purpose of protecting the wheel and the chain/drive train, should your chain move past the largest cog.

It weights next to nothing, has no negative impact on the performance of the wheel. So just leave it there.

+1 what exactly is wrong with a pie plate, apart fromm ugliness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

bazermc wrote: »
    +1 what exactly is wrong with a pie plate, apart fromm ugliness

That's the most important reason to remove it! ;)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    That's the most important reason to remove it! ;)

When your decide that your sport is cycling, ugliness really should be the last determining factor.

If we did things based on asthetics then none of us would ever venture out of the house.

The Lycra; shoes that make you waddle like a duck when trying to walk; the helmets (which amazing have actually gotten even worse in the last few years).

Shaved legs, bandanas, oversized sunglasses, weird cycling tan.

But yeah, its the pie plate that makes us look weird:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

When your decide that your sport is cycling, ugliness really should be the last determining factor.

If we did things based on asthetics then none of us would ever venture out of the house.

The Lycra; shoes that make you waddle like a duck when trying to walk; the helmets (which amazing have actually gotten even worse in the last few years).

I can walk perfectly fine in cleats (Lycra doesn't effect ambulation unless it's far too small) There are many really nice looking helmets available and if you buy the correct size you generally will NOT look like a mushroom on wheels.

The vast majority of non pro cyclists don't shave their legs and I have actually never seen anyone wear a bandana. Sunglasses also can be bought in various widths but I'll concede on the cyclist weird tan lines.

Maybe your not quite 'there' yet if you find all the above issues. ;-)

Pie plates should be removed at the first opportunity. They are not functional as far as I can see and really are the epitome of ugliness on a nice shiny new bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,986 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Of course they're functional, any grit and gravel coming from the left (where most of it is on the road) is deflected away instead of being sucked into the chain and cassette where it starts sanding and abrading the components with every revolution.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You just haven't attuned your aesthetic eye yet. We look great in Lycra with shaved legs, over sized sunglasses and tan lines. Once you embrace Lycra, you'll learn that there's ugly Lycra and beautiful Lycra.Pie plates are always ugly.

Bandanas are only acceptable if you're a deceased Italian climber.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Thargor wrote: »
    Of course they're functional, any grit and gravel coming from the left (where most of it is on the road) is deflected away instead of being sucked into the chain and cassette where it starts sanding and abrading the components with every revolution.

Hmm I new gravity had an down ward effect but I didn't realise there was a lateral equivalent with the cassette at it's epicentre. You may have just discovered a new rule in physics. :D

Seriously though. Nah. Wash your bike more often ;)

OP where are you located someone might give you a loaner.

If its a new bike then ask the bike shop to take it off for you when you bring it back for a tune up. All new bikes should be retuned after a short time to make sure all bolts, cables etc are still fitted correctly.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Hmm I new gravity had an down ward effect but I didn't realise there was a lateral equivalent with the cassette at it's epicentre. You may have just discovered a new rule in physics. :D

Seriously though. Nah. Wash your bike more often ;)

OP where are you located someone might give you a loaner.
    It wont get everything but it will stop a large amount of it, same for muddy water. Theres something slightly pathetic about those velomiati rules no matter how many smileys people use when they're going on about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It wont get everything but it will stop a large amount of it, same for muddy water. Theres something slightly pathetic about those velomiati rules no matter how many smileys people use when they're going on about them.

This isn't about the rules I wouldn't be a fan myself but some bikes Canyon spring to mind literally have a dish behind the cassette which look desperate on a nice wheel set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I had a bike where the pie plate started breaking up, so I finished the job. At the time I had no idea how you could get freewheels (as this bike had) off. I think I used a pliers.

Funnily enough, I still remove pie plates, even though I just cycle in ordinary clothes and am otherwise completely unvelominati-like. I remove the cassette first these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Surely centrifugal force flings the dirt/spray/oil out in the same direction as the cassette/chain and what little gets in at the hub is going to get in from the ND side anyway. I never had one in either of my bikes and never had a problem with excess dirt or crud on the hub or anywhere else by not having one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Funnily enough, before I first posted in this thread, I checked the rules. I couldn't see anything, that covered this situation.
    I have, of course, notified the Keepers. I expect a rule amendment, presently.

Ok I think we have an answer:

If you Look good in Lycra and a helmet, if you shave your legs, if you wear sunglasses and have tan lines...remove the pie plate.

If non of the above applies...leave it. :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

gadetra wrote: »
    I'm keeping mine on forever...

You belong here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1527

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Funnily enough, before I first posted in this thread, I checked the rules. I couldn't see anything, that covered this situation.
    I have, of course, notified the Keepers. I expect a rule amendment, presently.

Rule #78 // Remove unnecessary gear

RobFowl wrote: »

:eek: that's the meanest thing anyone's ever said to me :(

*summons 1000 strong pie plate army to surround RobFowl*

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

:eek: that's the meanest thing anyone's ever said to me :(

*summons 1000 strong pie plate army to surround RobFowl*

:P

Little centurions with pie plate shields?

--

This seems a resonable overview of pie plates. I think my pie plate of yesteryear went to bits because of weathering. You might at least consider removing it at that stage.

http://coachlevi.com/cycling/what-is-that-plastic-disc-on-rear-wheel/

I did once have a chain leap into the gap between the back of the freewheel (pre-cassette days) and the spokes. It didn't destroy the wheel, and it would never happen now, because I have some idea how to maintain bikes now.

All this pie talk is making me hungry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I took my one off and use it......

As a pie plate :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I thought they were for if your limit screws were completely out of whack or your hanger got bent that your mech wouldn't get sucked into the spokes and cause a rather large red face and big hole in your wallet.

I think 2 of my bikes have them,they don't really bother me, unless they are left on an absolutely stunning bike that probably isn't going to see a huge amount of use anyway. I removed one a few years ago because one of the clips on it broke and it ended up off centre, and it was really annoying to see it bouncing up and down in the shadows as the wheel was turning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

This is road bike based obviously (isn't everything here?) but it's the first thing I took off the mountain bike as it's always the first thing to break, especially if you do proper trail riding, they might be ok to leave on a road bike, but they'll break your heart on a mountain bike.

rizzodun wrote: »
    This is road bike based obviously (isn't everything here?) <>

*cough* nope! Trackie here! :D

And it doesn't bother me even a little bit. One of my bikes has a huge pie plate. And I like it there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

*cough* nope! Trackie here! :D

And it doesn't bother me even a little bit. One of my bikes has a huge pie plate. And I like it there :D

Track bikes, road bikes, same thing....

mar18stir_the_pot-300x283.gif

I jest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

JBokeh wrote: »
    I thought they were for if your limit screws were completely out of whack or your hanger got bent that your mech wouldn't get sucked into the spokes and cause a rather large red face and big hole in your wallet.
    <snip)

Correct as far as I know. I think in the EU they have to be supplied with a bike as well as a bell and reflectors.

I considered leaving my Canyon ones on as they were so big I nearly had a rear Aero Wheel.

They're huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I have the pie plate removed on my CX and I left it alone on my hybrid.. I notice the CX isn't so affected by cross winds!.

[yes I'm f*cking kidding lol]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Correct as far as I know. I think in the EU they have to be supplied with a bike as well as a bell and reflectors.
    Nope, My bike came from The Netherlands without pieplate, reflectors or bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Nope, My bike came from The Netherlands without pieplate, reflectors or bell.

You should have returned it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

Take it off they look proper ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

I don't think they're ugly in themselves but they suggest that you don't know how to adjust your rear derailleur, and so make you look silly.

btw - for those going in the opposite direction I wonder is it possible to buy a new one. If not, that tells its own story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

sbs2010 wrote: »
    I don't think they're ugly in themselves but they suggest that you don't know how to adjust your rear derailleur, and so make you look silly.
    Well no, you can know how to adjust a derailleur and still have it go wrong on a 100k cycle or a trip down to the shops, just need to hit a bump or pothole the wrong way. ridiculous to cut away a tiny safety feature for the sake of aesthetics, especially for people who tend to duckwalk around in lycra as has already been pointed out.

Well no, you can know how to adjust a derailleur and still have it go wrong on a 100k cycle or a trip down to the shops, just need to hit a bump or pothole the wrong way. ridiculous to cut away a tiny safety feature for the sake of aesthetics, especially for people who tend to duckwalk around in lycra as has already been pointed out.

You're missing the point about aesthetics. Cyclists in Lycra look good on their bikes, separated from the bike they look silly. Pie plates look ugly, full stop.

Their function is questionable as well.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Pie plates look ugly, they don't do all that much and if they did would be used on pro bikes esp for cross and the likes of Paris roubaix.
    If the gears are even half way adjusted they won't go between the wheel and block anyway.
    So aesthetically they are awful, functionally they have pretty much no benefit and most of all they are just wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I removed my ones through the use of a pliers and much twisting, pulling and sheer brute force! Took ages but they are gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I removed my ones through the use of a pliers and much twisting, pulling and sheer brute force! Took ages but they are gone!

If you ever decide to attach one again, you will have to buy another one!

Maidhci wrote: »

If he ever puts it back on he'll be looking for a new club ....

I feel like a rebel :pac:

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Why didn't you just remove the cassette and then slide it off? Much easier no?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Why didn't you just remove the cassette and then slide it off? Much easier no?

Cos I didn't have the tools for that particular job! Also, I like breaking sh1t!

Maidhci wrote: »

Now why on earth would I want to do a thing like that?!?!

I just realised my bike came without one or the shop took it off for me when they got the bike ready? Either way my bike aint got one and I didnt take it off

I though they would be standard no?

bazermc wrote: »
    I just realised my bike came without one or the shop took it off for me when they got the bike ready? Either way my bike aint got one and I didnt take it off

I though they would be standard no?

It's not standard as far as I can figure out. Seems to be more common on lower end road bikes.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
Advertisement