Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App Books

Options
  • 13-04-2015 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Does anyone know a good app design book. I'm quite new to web design but have been asked recently would I be able to design an app. Just wondering if there's any good app design books out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nolic wrote: »
    Does anyone know a good app design book. I'm quite new to web design but have been asked recently would I be able to design an app. Just wondering if there's any good app design books out there.

Design as in Architecture, or design as in UI?

For architecture the GoF and POSA books are invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Nolic

Is there any book along the lines of step by step tutorials? Teaching tutorials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Is there any book along the lines of step by step tutorials? Teaching tutorials?
    You're probably better off seeking online tutorials for specifics as API's are evolving so rapidly that the publishing cycle for books simply cannot keep up.

What platform are you looking for tutorials in? iOS, Android, WP8?

I'd probably be looking for iOS and Android. I have an idea for an App and would like design it. It's science based with insight from a few lecturers from different universities. I have web design experience but would love to know how to go from having an idea to putting it up on the App Store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'd probably be looking for iOS and Android.
    Well, iOS and Android are two different platforms, so looking at them both is a bit like saying you want to learn the violin and the guitar.

Given this there are various frameworks, some HTML5 and JavaScript based, that allow you to develop for both (the idea is you can compile at the end for one or the other), but there are limitations and drawbacks to consider, if you do.
    I have web design experience but would love to know how to go from having an idea to putting it up on the App Store.
    Developing is one thing, but the entire ecosystem, or more correctly ecosystems (there's no one App Store - there's lots of them) is another - a lot of developers fall down there, often producing excellent apps that get few, if any, downloads.

• Advertisement

Thanks The Corinthian. I appreciate your reply. I'll just have to do more research on the topic.

Advertisement