Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower Recommendation

Options
  • 13-04-2015 10:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Coming from someone who knows very little about lawnmowers and gardening in general, my elderly parents have moved to west Kerry to a bungalow which has not a massive amount of land but quite a bit of fast growing grass in a garden bit bigger than the size of a tennis court...could anybody help us out in choosing a lawnmower? And possibly where to buy? I don't think a ride on is affordable or necessary but any recommendations very much appreciated!

Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

What sort of budget are you looking at?

You can't really go wrong with a Honda, Snapper, Castelgarden, Husqvarna.

Something that will self drive, mulch and with a Honda or B&S engine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

thanks...

I'd say abput €400...

any thoughts on the following,

http://www.johnsdiy.com/mcculloch-m46-125wr-lawnmower

or heard anything about the supplier? the delivery seems like a nice bonus seeing as where they are located.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Muff, I bought a ride on and a stand behind self drive last year, both jonsered which is a sister company of husqvarna. One regret with the stand behind mower is that it is too big and heavy. I have a lot of trees and awkward spots which is why I bought it. It is not as maneuverable as I would like. If your parents are elderly, size and weight may be something you need to consider but certainly go for self drive. Another consideration: spare parts. If something goes wrong down the line, is it repairable. Some brands are almost disposable. Mc Collough seem to be sold in a lot of places so probably have good support.

galljga1 wrote: »
    Muff, I bought a ride on and a stand behind self drive last year, both jonsered which is a sister company of husqvarna. One regret with the stand behind mower is that it is too big and heavy. I have a lot of trees and awkward spots which is why I bought it. It is not as maneuverable as I would like. If your parents are elderly, size and weight may be something you need to consider but certainly go for self drive. Another consideration: spare parts. If something goes wrong down the line, is it repairable. Some brands are almost disposable. Mc Collough seem to be sold in a lot of places so probably have good support.

thanks very much, yeah the mobility of it is a big issue, the aul fella is getting on a bit but could manage it if it wasnt a huge strain. I figured the self drive would was the only option and may do but can I ask, is the stand behind mower you bought self drive and still troublesome with manoeuvrability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

thanks very much, yeah the mobility of it is a big issue, the aul fella is getting on a bit but could manage it if it wasnt a huge strain. I figured the self drive would was the only option and may do but can I ask, is the stand behind mower you bought self drive and still troublesome with manoeuvrability?

Yeah, the self drive is an advantage when you are on the straight. It's just the fact that I have to go around so many trees, under hedges and in and out of awkward places. It is really no bother to me but it is considerably heavier than my previous mower. I have also a lot of clumps of daffodils in two areas which at this time of year is a pain to get around. I should have gone for a smaller model.

If the lawn is a straight forward cut (regular shape), you should not have a problem. I was actually going for a McCulloch but the jonsered place up the road had an open day with a few good offers. The mower I went for has a 56 cm cut and is a fair bit heavier than the one you are looking at. You are probably not going to get a much lighter self drive mower than the one you are looking at. Self drive, mulchers are a bit heavier than the standard push mowers but if your parents are getting on a bit, self drive would probably be a big help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

OP, I have an older version of the one you linked to.
    I bought it second hand from an older man who found it too hard to start, and it was not easy.
    Not saying that this model will necessarily be the same, but ease of starting is a consideration for older folk.

I recently bought a second-hand Honda HRX537. Very easy to start, and allows you disengage the blade without killing the engine, reducing the number of restarts. It is a heavy machine, and may be too big/expensive, but does have good features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

I've always found the Husqvarnas to be light and reliable. I've a slightly larger model than this but this would be roughly what you are looking for.

http://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/lawn-mowers/lc-146s/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Op, roughly where in west Kerry are your parents? Near Kenmare?

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Op, roughly where in west Kerry are your parents? Near Kenmare?

Dunquinn, well beyond Dingle, can't get any further...it's why I thought Johns DIY would be handy as it advertises free delivery all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

http://www.johnsdiy.com/gardencare-173cc-self-propelled-mower
    Thoughts on this, seems like keen price?

• Advertisement
Advertisement