Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small saddle bag with light loop

• 13-04-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a small saddle bag with a light loop on it?

Small as possible, preferably attaches to saddle itself.

Something like this Scicon Elan 210 but with a light loop

Main reason is my rear light just has a clip to attach to the bike and on the way home from a race would be handy to attach it when it gets dark.

I might just get a different rear light and leave the spare tube etc in the back pocket. Prefer not to have CO2 canisters in there though.

I have a small Topeak Aero Wedge but thats still too big.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I had a light clipped to the light loop on my saddle bag, it seemed pretty firm, but after an hour or even less the light had fallen off.

Unless you can secure it proparly, I would use a different set up altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-8-lumen-led-safety-light-rear/
    These are tiny, very light and very bright. It just rubber bands round the seatpost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Cheers Iamxavier.

I have that setup of the light attached to the saddle bag on my commuter over winter and haven't lost it just yet. I wouldn't be racing with the light on. Just the journey home.

Good call WillyFXP.

That might do the job all right. Still will have to carry spare tube, CO2 etc in back pocket but that might have to be a calculated risk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sew a loop onto the back of the bag. You can get strap material in any fabric shop, 10 mins to sew it on good and tight and the exact size of your light, and job done!

• Advertisement

Thanks gadetra. I would never of thought of that. Seems really obvious now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I bought this one from Amazon last year

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000BS0I2Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Decent size, fits a spare tube, CO2 and house keys, as well as coffee money and spare light batteries. Has the necessary light loop too. I've been cycling with my light clipped onto it for about 5000 km now and its showing no signs of making a break for freedom yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Just a bit on info about the scicon bag. You could probably sew a loop to it no bother it's a canvas type material.

My setup as per willyfxp recommendation.

20150413_115938_zpsvq9xiqn9.jpg

Bag size/contents

It's purely for necessities spare tube in your pocket.

20150413_120102_zpsfxqnxvxf.jpg

20150413_120123_zpszwpysgqa.jpg

20150413_120157_zpshkxttrlk.jpg

Thanks donkeyoaty0099. I have one of those in small and medium sizes already. Still find the small a bit big for the race bike though.

Thats great iwillhtfu. :D Gives me a good idea on the size and combo with light.

• Advertisement

No bother phones an s3 mini btw. The bag also looks a bit bulky under the saddle in that pic but it actually tucks up nice and neat and my saddle is quite narrow. Also that tool is great but bulky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I had a light clipped to the light loop on my saddle bag, it seemed pretty firm, but after an hour or even less the light had fallen off.

Unless you can secure it proparly, I would use a different set up altogether.

Cateye rear light + belt clip attachment + bulldog clip from stationery cupboard = light not going anywhere

This will fit over any bag loop.

I can't recall any super small bags with loops, they tend to be a bit bigger when they have loops. In Dublin city centre Penny Farthing Cycles have a good range of saddle bags. I got a Bontrager one there with a loop, but, again, it's probably a bit bigger than you are looking for.

Customization of a bag you like seems to be the way to go. Maybe use some seam sealer on the stitching afterwards?

Cheers everyone. I think I might go with the Scicon Elan 210 with mini rear light combo. I don't think my sewing skills are up to scratch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alternatively, if your light has a belt-type attachment, bring a short cable tie with you and simply cable tie the light to the seat post for the post race ride home.

(The cable tie can be tied loosely around the seat post or stored inside the handle bar until required).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

My LBS has a saddle bag (quite tidy sized) with a built in light, cant remember the brand, its about 20-25 yo-yos.

Cheers lads for all the help. Went with the Scicon Elan 210 Saddle Bag and Lezyne Zecto Drive LED Light Set in the end. My current front light is a philips saferide 80 and is way too big and heavy for racing.

345207.jpg
    345206.jpg

Here we go.
    I might move the rear light up to the seat post

346105.jpg

346106.jpg

It would probably be better alright I have mine down on the seat stay as it's an aero seat post so the little strap won't go around it.

Looks smart though. :)

Advertisement