Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car from a private seller, he doesn't have ownership.

Options
  • 13-04-2015 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm buying a used car from a chap from done deal. He seems legit and the car is mint. But he is not the registered owner of the car, he says he bought it from someone in Cork and is selling it on, but that he never registered to be the owner of the vehicle.

Is this a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Walk away, very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Insist that he registers himself as the owner of the vehicle before buying it from him, and obviously have sight of proof.

Otherwise you're paying him for nothing as he isn't the owner and therefore cannot sell you the car.

Edit: cruizer101's advice is probably best but if you're really set on the car it won't cost you anything to ask him to register as owner first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Fionn00 wrote: »
    I'm buying a used car from a chap from done deal. He seems legit and the car is mint. But he is not the registered owner of the car, he says he bought it from someone in Cork and is selling it on, but that he never registered to be the owner of the vehicle.

Is this a problem?

I can sell you my neighbours car if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Don't walk just run. Life's too short for that. There will always be a better car that will come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lowfat bricks

I just had the same problem on donedeal, was all fixed to see a car in limerick, wee ford but ownership never changed over and he was selling it on behalf of his girlfriend that was gone on holiday? she had never put it in her name she was lazy like that he said, cowboys ted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably a part time wheeler dealer flipping cars over. DD is full of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

The question you have to ask is why did he not register the car, is it as good as it appears, as others have pointed out ask him to register it and if he is not willing to, WALK AWAY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Insist that he registers himself as the owner of the vehicle before buying it from him, and obviously have sight of proof.

He cant. Its the owner who usually registers the change of ownership - if he has bought it from someone, it was their responsibility to make the change - that they havent suggests nefarious carry on - both signatures are needed, why someone wouldnt do it is nonsensical as the guy who drives off it in could leave it in their name and do all sorts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Total overreaction from all imo

If you buy a used car from a dealer I promise you its still in the previous owners name.

I have bought at least 5 cars over the years and sold them on without putting them in my name.

Once they have the log book and you sign it and they post it jobs oxo.

The amount of cars that come into me for work with the log book in the glove box. If I was so inclined I could sell the car before the owner returned and they'd have a hard job convincing the guards/courts I stole it and they didn't just have sellers remorse.

That said, just cos it's not in his name doesn't make it dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Similar thing happened to me. Saw the car, loved it but said he was selling it on for a "friend". Didn't have the cash then so paid 200 as a deposit with a view to paying in full a few days later. Chatted to my dad about it and he felt it was a bit fishy so got the local guards to run the number plates (took some photos for the missus thankfully). Let's just say the owner was far from an upstanding citizen. We walked away, lesson learned. 200 quid was small change compared to what could have been. It was advertised with number plate blanked too so should have seen it coming but glad I did in the end. Like others have said, stay away from this chancer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lowfat bricks

From a dealer still in previous owners name, ya i understand that but if you are selling a car on behalf of your girlfriend and she is not even registered owner of the car and you have had the car over 6 months and put through the NCT, why would you have not registered it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

It was advertised with number plate blanked too so should have seen it coming but glad I did in the end

I always blank the number plate in advert pictures of cars that I've sold, why is this dodgy...?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

You can't do a background check on a car for one. It's just suspicious, why hide the reg of the car at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Walk Away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Privacy really, if someone want's to ring me up for the details they can have them I just don't like plastering them all over the internet, I normally just leave it showing '07-D-XXXXX' and no one's ever commented on it before. Admittedly I've only ever sold about three cars online like this, all genuine cars owned by me or my family and in each case they were sold within hours (or minutes in one case) of going up and each to the first caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

I don't see what the problem is here....

He has as much as admitted that he is basically a small time dealer. That he bought it from some fella in Cork and is now selling it on.

There are lots of lads out there who are looking out for bargains on Donedeal - Cars that are badly advertised, looking for a quick sale etc. Buying them, Maybe putting them through an NCT, giving them a good clean inside and out (Basically doing all the things the original seller should have done) and selling them on.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the car.

While, I do agree you have to be very cautious, if everything checks out and the car is decent, there is no reason not to buy it. It might be worth (if possible) getting in touch with the current registered owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

BnB wrote: »
    I don't see what the problem is here....

He has as much as admitted that he is basically a small time dealer. That he bought it from some fella in Cork and is now selling it on.

There are lots of lads out there who are looking out for bargains on Donedeal - Cars that are badly advertised, looking for a quick sale etc. Buying them, Maybe putting them through an NCT, giving them a good clean inside and out (Basically doing all the things the original seller should have done) and selling them on.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the car.

While, I do agree you have to be very cautious, if everything checks out and the car is decent, there is no reason not to buy it. It might be worth (if possible) getting in touch with the current registered owner.

If you can contact the owner of the car as stated in the VLC and confirm everything is above board then yes it could be worth buying, without this it could be a stolen car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

A friend had his house broke into, 2 cars robbed. Car one, BMW they smashed in the wing a bit and sold to some poor young lad on done deal. He paid cash, not sure why but he thought it was a bit dodgy after he paid, so he rang the Garda and came and picked up the car off him. He has no come back what so ever

Run away......

My mate got his car back after the Garda checked it over

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Big Nelly wrote: »
    A friend had his house broke into, 2 cars robbed. Car one, BMW they smashed in the wing a bit and sold to some poor young lad on done deal. He paid cash, not sure why but he thought it was a bit dodgy after he paid, so he rang the Garda and came and picked up the car off him. He has no come back what so ever

Run away......

My mate got his car back after the Garda checked it over

There's also the problem of some muppets who keep their VLC in the car so if the car is ever robbed someone can sell it to anyone stupid enough not to do background checks on the ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

just a legal point here, the VLC is NOT proof of ownership, its a certificate of who its registered too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement