Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clancy Quay, Islandbridge - renting

Options
  • 13-04-2015 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Hi guys, currently renting in Dublin, was thinking of renting in Clancy Quay for a year, anyone any views on it, I was thinking of leasing one myself and getting someone for 650 a month or something similar.....I see they have a gym and other amenties....I currently pay 79 euro for my gym so would save on that at least , would appreciate pros and cons for Clancy Quay

Thanks....

(I am looking to buy in a year or two just looking for somewhere decent for a year :) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The area is OK, very close to town and Heuston Station, and the Luas there.

Phoenix Park is on your doorstep, as is the lovely riverside walk/cycle from the Memorial Gardens to Chapelizod.

But there is not a shop nor a coffee shop/cafe nearby at all. (to my knowledge). The nearest pub is the Patriots in Kilmainham, or the Hilton Hotel. Or maybe Ryans down Parkgate Street. Which is where the nearest shops are too.

Have a walk around at night, and during the day. See how much you would miss a shop. Going to the pub and into town are probably OK, you can hop on a bus on Conyngham Road.

I see there are shop units free around there, so maybe someone will open a Spar or the like, when the apartments fill up.

Depends on what your priorities are I suppose.

It is not like living in the city centre, with everything on your doorstep, but it has its advantages just the same. Well Kennedy Wilson thought it was in a great place, they bought the whole development when prices were low. Clever!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Thanks I am attracted by the finish of the apartmens , and the gym....I live near the Park anyway but its an old house, not much I can do with it....A year there would just suit me :)

I'd be more interested in the apartments etc, area i can live with.... I run and train in the Park so I know the score thanks again :)

Appreciate it cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

the Spar in Kilmainham is probably closer; and there's a nice bakery as well as pharmacy, dry cleaners etc.

If you lived in most parts if Sandymount say you'd have the same walk to the shops, and be the same distance from town etc

For some reason it seems further away because there's a lot of open space around there...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Thanks Bluesteel how would you rate the apartments? Have you been inside? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Thanks Bluesteel how would you rate the apartments? Have you been inside? :)

New, clean, sterile and bland. And you'll bake alive when the sun is strong.
    Take a look at Bellevue apartments just across the road. They are much nicer and the gardens (right on the river) are very pleasant.
    Also cheaper.

Like others say, a long way from shops and pubs. Bus links on Connigham road are not as good as they used to be as a lot of the buses now go down Con Colbert road. There's at least one bus route on South Circular road outside the complex though.

War Memorial Gardens, the river walk to Chapelizod and Phoenix park are the big selling points for the area.

• Advertisement

gaius c wrote: »
    New, clean, sterile and bland. And you'll bake alive when the sun is strong.
    Take a look at Bellevue apartments just across the road. They are much nicer and the gardens (right on the river) are very pleasant.
    Also cheaper.

Like others say, a long way from shops and pubs. Bus links on Connigham road are not as good as they used to be as a lot of the buses now go down Con Colbert road. There's at least one bus route on South Circular road outside the complex though.

War Memorial Gardens, the river walk to Chapelizod and Phoenix park are the big selling points for the area.

they're a lot older too. Poorer insulation and storage heaters IIRC.

I believe CQ apts even have blinds - though you'll only bake alive in the south facing ones...

CQ is arguably more sterile though; gardens in Bellvue are really nice, the Liffey there is beautiful; though you can see also some nice wildlife on the river by CQ.

The Spar and Natural Bakery in Kilmainham isn't that far. Bus Links on Conyngham Rd are def not what they used to be now that 25A goes down St Johns Rd - though that's not far either.

You can argue it's not that close to pubs etc but most suburban housing estates you have to walk 10 mins too - that would get you to Ryans or the Royal Oak.

Depends on your priorities - Dublin has plenty of pubs - The Memorial Gardens/ River Walk to Chapelizod and Phoenix Park are world class IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

And Bridgewater isn't bad either.

I've lived in Clancy Quay for 2 years, I like the area but now believe the apartments are WAY over priced (even in the current market).

The apartments themselves may look nice but don't judge a book by it's cover, the quality of the furniture and building is actually very poor, I've had countless problems with door handles, press doors, skirting, blinds and other furniture and fittings breaking and wearing thin after little or no use. Have also had issues with heating and washing machine breaking down on numerous occasions, there is maintenance on site but they can be quite annoying to pin down, they come in, tell you an issue is fixed only for it not to be and you having to chase them up again.

The biggest issue of all for me (and others) has been ventilation, its REALLY poor in my apartment, mold constantly builds in corners and window ledges on one side of the apartment, I have to clean it every few weeks, the letting agency/maintenance can do nothing about this and basically told me it's down to the way I live, they gave me a load of baloney about things i should be doing, for example I should leave doors wedged open while showering and have bedroom doors wedged open throughout the day to improve air circulation... so I don't know why the doors have automatic hinges then, recently they also suggested i should buy a dehumidifier whilst telling me my rent was going up by 14% with absolutely no room for negotiation despite these problems and despite the fact I had been 'a great tenant'.

As a result of all this I am moving out at the end of my lease soon, and have been put off ever renting through an agency again as I find them quite tough to deal with, they are hard to get a hold of for anything other than an emergency or when they want to tell you your rent is going up and I've found they really have no people skills they seem to read off scripts, and don't care as they get paid either way... just my opinion.

That said, Id say Islandbridge is a great location, 24 hour security (and the security guys are generally very pleasant and more helpful than the letting agency), and if you got a place that doesn't have a mould issue you'd just have to deal with minor annoyances like anywhere else i suppose.. but not worth the price IMO, they seem to be adding these 'amenities' to justify upping the rent constantly, barring the gym they are all pretty useless i think (a room with a couple of pool tables and big TV where you cant bring in ANY food or drink... yeah brilliant). If you can afford the price they are asking, I'd be 100% certain you'd find somewhere better

that's interesting - I'd read about mold issues elsewhere. I think design techniques in Ireland haven't caught up with the new airtightness - it's fairly simple really. They probably need proper air exchangers

Pretty stupid of them not to at least provide a humidity sensor etc for free...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭fear_factory84

I was nearly renting an apartment there.. but they took 1 week to verifiy my references and I've decided to go elsewhere (and I got another crappy apartment, but at least is a bit less expensive).
    They are charging more people on higher floors and less on ground floor..

I think that here in Dublin actually is very difficult to find a good accommodation, and I'm also used to way far more higher standards (I've relocated at the beginning of April).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

We're renting here for almost two years. In general it's good, nice apartments, free underground car park and a gym. But lately there's one big issue: railway behind the last building. Now there's a project to revive phoenix park tunnel project so after completion there will be 4 trains per hour running from Kildare to Connoly. Works are being done during the night from 8PM to 4AM just beside the window. It's very noisy. For the price they ask we now can find something better without the noise of construction vehicles. Also there's always a noise from Heuston station area where they load freight trains.

Above applies to at least the last building (Artillery House).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Daydreamer2105

Received in a note in the letterbox only 1 car can be registered per apartment to be parked in the underground car park.

What if both parties work and need a car to get to work?? Anyone in the same situation? Why was this not thought of?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Received in a note in the letterbox only 1 car can be registered per apartment to be parked in the underground car park.

What if both parties work and need a car to get to work?? Anyone in the same situation? Why was this not thought of?

Cheers

Thought of by the purchaser when they signed the legal documents? Or the tenants when they signed the lease?

Modern developments don't have limitless parking. Doing your research before you sign is absolutely vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Cheers
    My lease only allows one car and they only gave me one carpark access fob - if you had some other agreement for two cars, go talk to them in the office and you can probably get two permits too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Cheers

I wonder will they accommodate a second car for a fee... What does your lease say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I visited some friends in these recently and can confirm moisture build up is a serious issue to the point where the bathroom had large amounts of black mould spots in the walls.. I would not like to be breathing that regularly.

I was expecting a more polished luxury experience based on their marketing and the CQ being more expensive than my own apt.

The apartment I rent quite nearby to Clancy Quay has a MVHR system and it really transforms the place.
    It also means that drying clothes within the apartment is fast and results in no trapped moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EmilieJolie

Cheers

Hi Daydreamer, I'm in the same situation. We rent a 2 bed apartment and both drive to work so this presents a big problem. My boyfriend signed the lease so I wasn't actually aware we were only entitled to one space. Is there a Resident's Committee in Clancy Quay? Pretty sure if no one put the discs up they'd have to think of something else. It's over priced rent here anyway without having to pay €100 a month for a car space too. Never mind the fact that both our cars have had damage to the paintwork from lime dripping from the stalagtites on the ceiling of the car park...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

both our cars have had damage to the paintwork from lime dripping from the stalagtites on the ceiling of the car park...

Yeah, I noticed the car park has a serious moisture problem. It's worse than a cave.
    That level of moisture isn't good for cars either, damp windows and increased risk of corrosion.

There are a series of vent grilles which are open to the sky so rain just falls through them and doesn't seem to drain away properly. My current place has large trays mounted under identical grilles to collect the rain water and channel it to a sump where it is pumped away.

It sounds like there are design flaws present.
    I have to wonder, if they can't get basic drainage and ventilation right then what else did they mess up.. fire safety would be one worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 burkee2009

there are so many damaged cars in the car park because of these leaks. also can they not remove the 10-20 abondoned cars instead of constantly putting notices on them. does anyone know if there is going to be a fee for a second space as details are being very sketchy at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

burkee2009 wrote: »
    there are so many damaged cars in the car park because of these leaks. also can they not remove the 10-20 abondoned cars instead of constantly putting notices on them. does anyone know if there is going to be a fee for a second space as details are being very sketchy at the moment

I'm guessing they can't remove the abandoned cars legally*, because someone owns them (though they probably don't know who) and they could in theory come back asking where the hell their car is?

Also practically speaking I'd say it's tricky to tow a car out of there because a proper tow truck wouldn't fit down there, and it'd be a huge pain in the ass to drag a car on dollies up that ramp because of the stupid corner just after the entrance barrier

* - or, they don't know how to do it legally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bluesky2016

We have been renting at Clancy Quay for almost 1.5 yrs and we have been dealing with really bad black mold/moisture build up in the apartment. The ventilation systems/fans are really poor and don't work. We have kept windows open, used dehumidifiers, and left fans running but nothing seems to work. The mgt office gives all the residences in Phase 1 the same response that its the tenants fault. The buildings in Phase 1 are not equipped to deal with the moisture build up in the winter. We have had black mold growing in all of our rooms. The black mold is toxic and can cause really bad health effects.

Unfortunately, because of the state of the rental market in Dublin the landlords think they can treat tenants like throwaways and just find another person. If you live in Clancy Quay and have had similar issues please message me. I would advise against renting in Phase 1. The newer buildings are built much better, because they had to follow building code and they are A rated. The only drawback is the starting prices for Phase 2 are above 2000 euros a month.

Advertisement