Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Athy?

Options
  • 13-04-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi we are considering a move to Athy in the summer. We would be renting.

I was just wondering if anybody would recommend the town and would have any further insight into life there as we would be coming from wicklow.
    And if there would be any areas you would recommend?

We are especially interested into hearing things in relation to schools and family life as we have an 8,5 and 3 yr old.

Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

May i suggest that you go down for a couple of nights and stay in the Clanard Hotel and get the feel yourselves.

Some people will say negative things about the town (same with every town), but generally I find people in Athy are quite proud and very much into their sports.

I used to have an office there and I know plenty of people from the town and you'd rarely here of them compaining and those with kids seem to be always doing something / bringing the kids places or to sports.

Years ago it suffered from unemployment and anti social issues, but they've all grown up and whilst you will still have a few who will always casue trouble, they tend to be in areas that you'd avoid anyway.

Schools - plenty of them and the kids seem to be well behaved.

I just see they have a website www.athy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ad1234

delahuntv wrote: »
    May i suggest that you go down for a couple of nights and stay in the Clanard Hotel and get the feel yourselves.

Some people will say negative things about the town (same with every town), but generally I find people in Athy are quite proud and very much into their sports.

I used to have an office there and I know plenty of people from the town and you'd rarely here of them compaining and those with kids seem to be always doing something / bringing the kids places or to sports.

Years ago it suffered from unemployment and anti social issues, but they've all grown up and whilst you will still have a few who will always casue trouble, they tend to be in areas that you'd avoid anyway.

Schools - plenty of them and the kids seem to be well behaved.

I just see they have a website www.athy.ie

Thanks so much for the reply!

We were going to have a drive through on the weekend but your idea of a stay is a muchbetter idea ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

I lived there for 5 years, moved because of work, apart from that I'd still be there, really enjoyed it there, I lived in Coneyboro, nice estate, don't know about schools butt I'd recommend Athy,

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ad1234

thelawman wrote: »
    I lived there for 5 years, moved because of work, apart from that I'd still be there, really enjoyed it there, I lived in Coneyboro, nice estate, don't know about schools butt I'd recommend Athy,

Thank you thelawman!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

All the schools are great in Athy, most of them in a campus on the north side of the town, Rathstewart / Tomard ... Really positive atmosphere from them all there, 3 primary and 1 secondary and we have kids going to two of them. They are all new buildings and there is a real new look and feel to them, staff included. Really great it has to be said.

Ardreigh Childcare Centre for childcare, the best in the town (the location is wrong on Google maps so I've linked the right one)

Recreation and sports etc., Athy has everything, all clubs are really well resourced and there is something for all kids and adults. We have moved here a few years ago and its great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Being a bit biased here as i'm from the area, Athy is as good as spot as anywhere in the country, we could do with more industry as could most town's of its size in the country and the addition of the new ALDI and the refurbished LIDL soon to open means people don't have to travel to do food shopping though it could do with some other types of shops in the town.

As for sports, the town has a thriving sports scene, all the main clubs (GAA soccer club, rugby club and tennis club), all have excellent underage set-ups with lots and lots of volunteers all looking after the kids, these are up in the showgrounds, the town has an excellent tri club, there's a cycling club, gym club and a rowing club on the Barrow, if your kids or yourselves have nothing to do then i honestly don't know..oh and a film club..if your into that..

The town had a bad rep when i was growing up, it was the usual dicks acting the ball bag, it wasn't helped by CKR radio station down in Carlow who used to report the slightest disagreement in the town while completely forgetting about the mini riot that often took place in Carlow town over the weekend (friends in Carlow would tell you it was a small crew of gob****es, like Athy, who would be causing trouble), a lot of proud Athy people were very bitter with the reporting done by that radio station..

like i say, i'm biased but i've turned out alright, but so has 99% of the town..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

Advertisement