Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow girl running

• 13-04-2015 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

New username.

I've been reading the logs for a while and picking up tips as I go so I've decided to start my own. Would love any constructive feedback/advice anyone has & some encouragement will always be gratefully received too!

By way of a background, I've been running on an off for a few years now. Have 2 small kids so have taken 'maternity leave' from running twice in the last 3 years. Slowly getting back into it. I'm by no means fast, don't think I'll ever be and it will never be the goal.

PBs are:
    5k - 29:18
    5 mile - 46:58 (I'd say the route was short or something!!)
    10k - 59.58 (ish, was something under 60 mins! My first ever 10k had been 77 mins and never thought I'd manage a sub 60 min 10k so was thrilled)
    10 mile - 1:41:39
    Half Marathon - 2:23:xx. This was 2 years ago between babies. Probably could have run faster but was very nervous as it was my first HM so I didn't push too hard and really enjoyed it.

My main goal this year is to increase mileage and sign up to the HM again in June. Ideally I'd love to run 2:10:00 this time so we'll see!

Training wise, it's awkward with 2 smallies and a hubby that works shifts so I get out the door when I can! Some weeks it's 3 times and others it's 4. I do 4.5-5 miles per session at 10:30 min/mile pace. Yesterday I ran 4.68 miles at 9:56 pace comfortably so I'm seeing improvement, albeit small.

So that's me. I'll chat away to myself here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck with the log. Don't worry - you won't be talking to yourself although you might wish you were sometimes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

kit3 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log. Don't worry - you won't be talking to yourself although you might wish you were sometimes :)

:pac: It's when everyone else starts to talk to themselves on your log that you have to worry ;)

Best of luck with the training and the logging... do you have a date for your June HM and are you working off a training plan for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Looking forward to reading your progress :)
    I'd be fairly certain you won't regret starting this log!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck with your log. I'm looking forward to following you.

Is it long since you've raced a 5km? My 5km PB is 24:45 but my 10k PB is similar to yours so i'm guessing you can definitely improve your 5km time if you wanted to.

I don't have a log maybe one day but in the meantime i happily stalk runners here. I'm 33 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby so i understand the demands of smallies and those "maternity sabaticals" that you mention. I ran until 28 weeks this time and had hoped to manage longer but lets just say my pelvic floor would need a lot of work for that to happen :o

Good luck with your log and your running ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

ariana` wrote: »

Is it long since you've raced a 5km? My 5km PB is 24:45 but my 10k PB is similar to yours so i'm guessing you can definitely improve your 5km time if you wanted to.

I don't have a log maybe one day but in the meantime i happily stalk runners here. I'm 33 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby so i understand the demands of smallies and those "maternity sabaticals" that you mention. I ran until 28 weeks this time and had hoped to manage longer but lets just say my pelvic floor would need a lot of work for that to happen :o

Don't let Walshb see this!:)

• Advertisement

sssshhhhhh.....

LOL just spent 20mins reading that thread. I ran an 8km race at 20wks so i guess i'm definitely in the bad books :rolleyes: I fell down the stairs doing the laundry on my 2nd baby so i suppose doing laundry should be a banned activity for pregnant women too, if only ;)

LOL just spent 20mins reading that thread. I ran an 8km race at 20wks so i guess i'm definitely in the bad books :rolleyes: I fell down the stairs doing the laundry on my 2nd baby so i suppose doing laundry should be a banned activity for pregnant women too, if only ;)

:) definitely agree with you on laundry!

That's 20 mins of your life you won't get back... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AnnieJones

annapr wrote: »
    :pac: It's when everyone else starts to talk to themselves on your log that you have to worry ;)

Best of luck with the training and the logging... do you have a date for your June HM and are you working off a training plan for it?

Thanks! HM is 27th June. I'm loosely following a Hal Higdon plan, adjusting it to when I can get out running & to take in any races that come up along the way.

Thanks a mil! It's great to hear from others in a similar situation. Congrats on the third pregnancy! I ran til about 19 weeks on my second & think it really helped me get back sooner afterwards.

It's ages since the 5k, so long that I can't even remember where it was! I just have it written down. Would love to knock a chunk off that time.

This week I'll be running 3 times. Tonight I did 4.5 miles at 10:00 min/mile pace. Happy enough, strong wind in my face.

Next up is 4 mile road race Friday. Will hope for sub 40 min. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Good luck with the log Annie & the training, your times are similar to mine a year ago, I look forward to seeing those pbs come down :-)

AnnieJones wrote: »
    Thanks a mil! It's great to hear from others in a similar situation. Congrats on the third pregnancy! I ran til about 19 weeks on my second & think it really helped me get back sooner afterwards.

It's ages since the 5k, so long that I can't even remember where it was! I just have it written down. Would love to knock a chunk off that time.

This week I'll be running 3 times. Tonight I did 4.5 miles at 10:00 min/mile pace. Happy enough, strong wind in my face.

Next up is 4 mile road race Friday. Will hope for sub 40 min. 😀

Good luck with the 4 miler, looking forward to the report :)

Firedance wrote: »
    Good luck with the log Annie & the training, your times are similar to mine a year ago, I look forward to seeing those pbs come down :-)

Thanks, am interested to know what your current pbs are!

Race tonight. Last training run was Tuesday and I feel like I haven't trained at all. Hate weeks like this. I'm a serious self doubter and am having 'don't do the race, you'll be last' thoughts all morning. I'll definitely be at the back of the pack but would just hate to be last. Boo-hiss!

Am off to pre-register online so I don't chicken out!

Thanks, am interested to know what your current pbs are!

Race tonight. Last training run was Tuesday and I feel like I haven't trained at all. Hate weeks like this. I'm a serious self doubter and am having 'don't do the race, you'll be last' thoughts all morning. I'll definitely be at the back of the pack but would just hate to be last. Boo-hiss!

Am off to pre-register online so I don't chicken out!

Yes, pre-register! just relax and enjoy the run, you won't be last! it will be a beautiful evening for racing so bring on the positive thinking :-)

PBs are:
    5k - 29:18 - I went from 31:20 to 25.30 last year, hope to go sub 25 soon
    5 mile - 46:58 - I went from 47:20 to 43:10 last year, 40 would be next goal
    10k - 59.58 - I went from 59:32 to 55:18, sub 54 is my next target
    10 mile - 1:41:39, I've only run one(clontarf last year) @ 1:37 so no new time for this distance
    Half Marathon 2:23:xx. - mine were 2:15 & 2:12 so still lots of work to do on the longer distances!!

good luck this evening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Best of luck this evening!

Yes, pre-register! just relax and enjoy the run, you won't be last! it will be a beautiful evening for racing so bring on the positive thinking :-)

PBs are:
    10 mile - 1:41:39, I've only run one(clontarf last year) @ 1:37 so no new time for this distance
    Half Marathon 2:23:xx. - mine were 2:15 & 2:12 so still lots of work to do on the longer distances!!

Sounds like there's a few of us around the same over the shorter distances, i haven't managed to get to longer distances - it was my goal for this year but the bump stopped me in my tracks :) Next year i'll try and chase ye :pac:

5k: i went from 29:45 to 24:45 last year
    10km: 59:58 but i only ran 1 last year in woeful heat so i know i can improve this, i did faster in training :rolleyes:

PBs are:

Wow you've made great progress! I'd love get anywhere near your PBs! Anytime I get a new PB I always think, 'that's it, that's the best you'll ever do'. I need to get that mentality out of my head.
    Sounds like there's a few of us around the same over the shorter distances, i haven't managed to get to longer distances - it was my goal for this year but the bump stopped me in my tracks :) Next year i'll try and chase ye :pac:

5k: i went from 29:45 to 24:45 last year
    10km: 59:58 but i only ran 1 last year in woeful heat so i know i can improve this, i did faster in training :rolleyes:

I definitely want to do another 5k, I think I could definitely knock something off my time.

FRIDAY 17th 4 mile road race. Goal for this was anything under 40 mins. It was a lovely evening for it and I finished in 38:36. That'll do!

One thing that really stuck out for me during the race was how allergic to hills I am! I just can't manage them and don't know how I should be approaching them. I end up taking baby steps, head down so I don't have to look at it and my shoulders end up hunching over too. Completely the wrong approach I'm sure.

SUNDAY 19th 5 miles. Avg pace 10:09. Happy with this as it was essentially my LSR and my longest run since baby no. 2. I read an article about running up hills online before I went out so I tried to keep my strides long, move my elbows a bit more and keep my head up for the hills. I think it helped. I was still travelling at a snails pace but it wasn't as uncomfortable. Lots of hill work needed I think (VOM!!)

Total miles Week 1 - 13.5 miles

Well done on the 4 miles! Lots more PB's to come, I'm sure.

There's lots of good tips on here in various logs about running up hills... such as keeping your head up, raising your arms, etc. The 2014 dcm graduates thread has some stuff about hills... and also recommends hill sprints as a session...

Well done on the 4 miles! Lots more PB's to come, I'm sure.

There's lots of good tips on here in various logs about running up hills... such as keeping your head up, raising your arms, etc. The 2014 dcm graduates thread has some stuff about hills... and also recommends hill sprints as a session...

Thanks for that. I'll have a look around here over the next few days. Not enough hours in the day lately!

Thanks for that. I'll have a look around here over the next few days. Not enough hours in the day lately!

There was some discussion on the running questions thread here, from post 1263 I think... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94988174

If I remember where the other tips were I'll let you know.

• Advertisement

If I remember where the other tips were I'll let you know.

Thank you, you're very kind :-)

Very busy week here and I've never been happier to see Friday. This was to be a '3 run week' but I missed Tuesday's due to a change in childcare arrangements. Had to make do with a walk with the double buggy.

Tuesday 21st 3.5 mile walk with the double buggy.

Thursday 23rd 4.5 mile run, avg pace 9:52. Nothing much to report, just happy to get the miles in. Note to self - no fruit and yoghurt for breakfast pre running, stick to porridge. Bit queasy towards the end.

The weekend is set to be very busy so I think I'll spend it in my running gear in the hope that I can take off for an hour at the first chance!

After a very busy few days, followed by a bout of the bug that's working it's way through the family, I finally made it back to the roads last night after an unintentional 4 day break.

Tuesday 29th April 5.19 miles, avg pace 10:34. Legs felt heavy but haven't eaten much the last couple of days with the bug and have been mostly confined to the bed. Was good to get back though.

Plan for the week is short run Thursday and road race Saturday evening. Have to start upping the weekly mileage next week. The HM will be just 8 weeks away.

Thursday 30th April 3.44 miles, avg pace 10:02. Strange run, took ages to get into it. Splits 10:19, 10:04, 9:53, 9:44. I was only starting to enjoy it when it was over!

Road race tomorrow. Nervous as usual :-)

good luck tomorrow! have you a time in mind or are you just testing the waters?

Good luck tomorrow. What distance is the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Best of luck. Relax and enjoy!

good luck tomorrow! have you a time in mind or are you just testing the waters?
    Good luck tomorrow. What distance is the race?
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Best of luck. Relax and enjoy!

Thanks for the messages of encouragement! I don't get on here as often as I'd like so I'm only seeing them now. Race was 7.5 miles. Was hoping for something in or around 1:15. Weather was shocking all day and only for I had pre registered I would definitely have bailed! Turned out I really enjoyed it. I felt comfortable all the way, didn't put myself under too much pressure, and finished in 1:15:55, avg pace 10:10 min/mile. I'm happy enough but in hindsight I think I could/should have pushed on a bit to get under the 1:15. It was my longest run since starting back so I think nerves kicked in and I held back to make sure I'd finish it!

It got me thinking about the Half Marathon. At that pace I could finish around 2:13/2:14, so maybe with some proper training and if I sorted the diet I could aim for sub 2:10?? A girl can dream!!

Saturday 2nd May 7.5 mile race, as above.

Total Miles
    Week 1 - 13.5 miles
    Week 2 - 4.5 miles :-(
    Week 3 - 16.09 miles

Will be lucky to squeeze in even one run this week. Might have to try early mornings.

Following my delight of having covered my longest run of the year, I followed it up with an unintentional week off from running. Between illness and just life in general I never made it out the door last week. So to this week.

Wednesday 13th May 5.12 miles, avg pace 10:02. I can't say I enjoyed this run. I was stiff having had a few days off and my legs felt very heavy. Happy with the pace though considering I felt I was struggling a wee bit.

Plan is to get out again tonight and then long run Sunday.

• Advertisement

Friday 15th May 5.22 miles, avg pace 10:09.

And that's where the plan went out the window. Another hiatus, over a week this time, and I only got back to the road last night. I'm really disappointed that I haven't been able to stick to my plan. It's so hard to get out the door sometimes (all the time lately).

Tuesday 26th May 4.32 miles, avg pace 9:59. I'm doing all my runs at around 10 min mile pace now. I ditched the garmin for a while as I felt I was too dependent on it for pacing but I think I need to re-introduce it now to slow me down. My longer runs need to be done at a much slower pace. I need to find out what pace I should be training at.

Four weeks to the half marathon. I thought I'd be in a better place than I am now but I'm still hopeful of doing it. I'll run 7 miles this weekend, and 8, 9 and 10 over the following weeks.

I read the DCM 2015 novices thread earlier and while I'm not planning on running it, I found it very motivational! Will keep an eye on it for a boost every now and then.

As an aside, I'm trying to sort out the eating too and shift a few pounds for the HM. Rooted out my old Slimming World books and I'm down 4.5lbs in 2 weeks!

Friday 15th May 5.22 miles, avg pace 10:09.

And that's where the plan went out the window. Another hiatus, over a week this time, and I only got back to the road last night. I'm really disappointed that I haven't been able to stick to my plan. It's so hard to get out the door sometimes (all the time lately).

Tuesday 26th May 4.32 miles, avg pace 9:59. I'm doing all my runs at around 10 min mile pace now. I ditched the garmin for a while as I felt I was too dependent on it for pacing but I think I need to re-introduce it now to slow me down. My longer runs need to be done at a much slower pace. I need to find out what pace I should be training at.

Four weeks to the half marathon. I thought I'd be in a better place than I am now but I'm still hopeful of doing it. I'll run 7 miles this weekend, and 8, 9 and 10 over the following weeks.

I read the DCM 2015 novices thread earlier and while I'm not planning on running it, I found it very motivational! Will keep an eye on it for a boost every now and then.

As an aside, I'm trying to sort out the eating too and shift a few pounds for the HM. Rooted out my old Slimming World books and I'm down 4.5lbs in 2 weeks!

Hey Annie, there are training calculators online and the one on the runners world website suggests these paces for you off the back of your 10 mile time of 1.41.39
    Easy Run
    11:49 per mile
    Tempo Run
    9:54 per mile
    Maximum Oxygen
    8:57 per mile
    Speed Form
    8:18 per mile
    Long Run
    11:49 - 13:15 per mile

Also if you look at mcmillan its saying (based on your 10 mile) that your HM time might be 2.15 at a race pace of 10.21 (2.10 race pace is 9.55) so yes your long run pace is too fast, it should be about 1:30-2:00mins slower than your race pace. Try slowing down for your next run and see how it goes for you?

Hey Annie, there are training calculators online and the one on the runners world website suggests these paces for you off the back of your 10 mile time of 1.41.39
    Easy Run
    11:49 per mile
    Tempo Run
    9:54 per mile
    Maximum Oxygen
    8:57 per mile
    Speed Form
    8:18 per mile
    Long Run
    11:49 - 13:15 per mile

Also if you look at mcmillan its saying (based on your 10 mile) that your HM time might be 2.15 at a race pace of 10.21 (2.10 race pace is 9.55) so yes your long run pace is too fast, it should be about 1:30-2:00mins slower than your race pace. Try slowing down for your next run and see how it goes for you?

Thanks so much for that. Looks like all my runs are tempo runs. I knew that couldn't be right! I'll do my long run this weekend at around 11/11:30 pace and see how I get on. Thanks again!

I would like to think that my 10 mile time would be better now than it was when I completed the 1:41:39 one. That was about 4, maybe even 5, years ago so I have a lot more running under my belt now. Actually, that's another goal for after the HM. The same 10 miler will be around October.

Thanks so much for that. Looks like all my runs are tempo runs. I knew that couldn't be right! I'll do my long run this weekend at around 11/11:30 pace and see how I get on. Thanks again!

I would like to think that my 10 mile time would be better now than it was when I completed the 1:41:39 one. That was about 4, maybe even 5, years ago so I have a lot more running under my belt now. Actually, that's another goal for after the HM. The same 10 miler will be around October.

didn't you do a 7 mile race recently? try putting your time for that into a calculator and see what results it gives you :-)

didn't you do a 7 mile race recently? try putting your time for that into a calculator and see what results it gives you :-)

Will do. The 7.5 miles isn't a 'conventional' race distance so it's hard to find one that lets me use it. I'll have a look.

Runersworld advised this:

Your easy run training pace is: 11:58 min/mile
    Your tempo run training pace is: 10:02 min/mile
    Your long run training pace is: 11:58-13:25 min/mile

I don't know if I'll be able to slow down quite as much as that but I'll give it a go!

• Advertisement

Thursday 28th May 5.5 miles. Tried to take this slower than usual. Felt really comfortable and enjoyed it. No Garmin and phone died after 4 miles so run didn't record but I was averaging 10:20 min/mile pace. I couldn't see myself ever being able to slow down to the recommended long run pace. I'll be out Sunday for my longer run, about 7 or 7.5 miles, so I'll bring the Garmin and see how the slower times feel.

Sunday 31st May 8.26 miles, avg pace 10:14.

Longest run of the year (in fact longest run in a couple of years!) and probably my most enjoyable too. I tried to hold back and felt I was running at an easy, comfortable pace all the way. Average pace turned out to be 10:14. That reading was from MapMyRun on my phone. My Garmin died half way around but I think the reading was going to differ from the phone app. My pace was slower on the Garmin. Either way, pace aside, chuffed with the distance and how good I felt!

Tuesday 2nd June 4.5 miles, avg pace 9:59. Not much fun. Went way to fast in the first half and strong winds hit me for the second. Still, it's done :-)

Well done for sticking with the plan and adjusting. You should have time to build up to the HM well over the next few weeks. Who would have thought it's hard to go slow enough, huh?

Well done for sticking with the plan and adjusting. You should have time to build up to the HM well over the next few weeks. Who would have thought it's hard to go slow enough, huh?

Thanks. HM is 3 weeks from this weekend. 9 miles, 10 miles, 11 miles and then the big day. That's the plan!

• Advertisement

Thanks. HM is 3 weeks from this weekend. 9 miles, 10 miles, 11 miles and then the big day. That's the plan!

that's a perfect build up... just keep those miles slooooooooowwwww

P.S. the other thing that's really useful is to do some of your shorter runs during the week at HM pace... or even a few miles of them

that's a perfect build up... just keep those miles slooooooooowwwww

P.S. the other thing that's really useful is to do some of your shorter runs during the week at HM pace... or even a few miles of them

See this is where I get all confused! I think I only have one pace!! Up until recently I did anyway. Now I'm trying to keep my long runs at 10:20ish min/mile pace and shorter runs slightly faster. I'm such a novice!

Friday 5th June 4.5 miles. My first, and last, early morning run. It was 6am, raining and my body was still asleep but I missed last night so had to go this morning. Running on empty and my pace of 10:40 min/mile felt like 8:40 min/mile.

Nine miles to do over the weekend. Will be using a gel to practice for race day.

Sunday 7th June 9.21 miles. DISASTER! I took a battering on this run. First of all my sports bra went against me and cut me to pieces. Very sore friction burns. Morto. I knew I was due a new one but I didn't expect anything like this. Anyway, it's manageable and I'll get over it.

The second problem is the big worry. I was going nicely, took a gel around mile 6 and it went down fine. Around mile 7 I could feel some tightness in my left calf. At mile 8 the tightness was turning to pain so I stopped to stretch it out. It didn't help at all and I hobbled the last mile and a bit home. I've been icing it and stretching it since yesterday (no idea really if I should be) but it's still very tight and sore. It hurts to put my heel on the floor. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

The second problem is the big worry. I was going nicely, took a gel around mile 6 and it went down fine. Around mile 7 I could feel some tightness in my left calf. At mile 8 the tightness was turning to pain so I stopped to stretch it out. It didn't help at all and I hobbled the last mile and a bit home. I've been icing it and stretching it since yesterday (no idea really if I should be) but it's still very tight and sore. It hurts to put my heel on the floor. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

See a physio pronto - you don't want it to stand against you with the HM only a few weeks away, so get it seen to sooner rather than later and nip it in the bud! Hopefully it nothing too sinister and a good session of poking and prodding (or whatever the technical terms are) will sort you out.

spaceylou wrote: »
    See a physio pronto - you don't want it to stand against you with the HM only a few weeks away, so get it seen to sooner rather than later and nip it in the bud! Hopefully it nothing too sinister and a good session of poking and prodding (or whatever the technical terms are) will sort you out.

I hope you're right! Spoke to physio, he said to ice it for the next couple of days to get the inflammation down and I'll see him Wed night.

I'm raging this happened so close to the HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Don't be too discouraged. You're doing the right thing in terms of icing and getting it looked at right away as opposed to leaving it festering and making it worse. Hopefully you'll get sorted and be back on your feet soon, and as much as it feels like it you won't lose the training you've been doing. Keep us posted.

So with just 2 weeks to go to the HM I have to pull out. I'm so disappointed. Calf muscles aren't in a good state. Got a very painful rub down last night & a couple more to come. Prob no running for 6 weeks. Boo hiss.

So with just 2 weeks to go to the HM I have to pull out. I'm so disappointed. Calf muscles aren't in a good state. Got a very painful rub down last night & a couple more to come. Prob no running for 6 weeks. Boo hiss.

Really sorry to hear that Annie

Awh very sorry to hear that Annie, hope recovery goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Sorry to hear this Annie, did the physio give you any idea as to the root cause?

• Advertisement
Advertisement