Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liver

Options
  • 13-04-2015 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Trying to start eating more liver, as its so cheap and pretty darn healthy.

But frying it, coated in flour and serving with onions and mushrooms is gonna get boring soon.

Does anyone else have other liver dishes they wish to share, it would be greatly appreciated

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Baked liver, rashers, onions & stuffing is super. I used to have it regularly as a kid but it has been a long, long time since I have done it myself & would need to get the recipe from Nana Billy. Have a Google for "liver rashers stuffing recipes" & you're sure to find a decent one.

You could also try varying the sides & sauces that you have with it. As a cut of meat - there's not a huge number of different ways of cooking it. Spätzli or Spätzel (doughy noodles) would be a common side in Germany & Switzerland with liver. Braised red cabbage with cinnamon goes well with it also, as do mushrooms in a cream & parsley sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

I'd agree that there's not a hige amount of different ways of cooking it.

You could try mincing it up and doing some sort of sausage/burger type thing with it ? That would allow you to get more flavours into it at the same time.

Alternativley could try some sort of pate ?

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I like a good liver and bacon casserole, although it's hardly the weather for it at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Soak the liver in milk overnight then slice it, toss in flour with loads of salt and pepper and flash fry on a hot pan. Serve with fresh greens e.g. rocket, sorrel or stir-fried baby nettles (my Granny's original version!) on hot buttered toast.

I'm going to have to go home to make some now...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Try dicing it up and adding it to your next ragu you make

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Was watching River Cottage and he did slices of liver by flash frying them and making a devilled sauce it the pan as the pieces fry. Red currant jelly, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and cream. Looked really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Chicken liver mousse, with crispbread and butter
    Livers stir fried with shallots, mixed with Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar, over mixed greens
    Liver bacon and onions and mushrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Chicken liver pate with crusty bread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

The expression on my kids' faces when they first (and last) encountered liver will always be with me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm having it tomorrow. Fried up with black pudding, mashed potatoes and green beans. Beautiful.

• Advertisement

galljga1 wrote: »
    The expression on my kids' faces when they first (and last) encountered liver will always be with me.
    That's why I slip it in to their ragu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

duploelabs wrote: »
    That's why I slip it in to their ragu

+1.

The Cooking Club's Classic Lasagna has livers in the ragu and they add depth to the whole dish. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I always leave it overnight in milk, could be old wives tale but I think it tenderises it, I then fry it in butter and fresh parsley and cook it to just med - well. Don't overlook or else dryness

galljga1 wrote: »

You should try them on heart and see the reaction !!!

vicwatson wrote: »
    I always leave it overnight in milk, could be old wives tale but I think it tenderises it, I then fry it in butter and fresh parsley and cook it to just med - well. Don't overlook or else dryness

It's not an old wives tale, nor is it there to tenderise it. Soaking in milk draws out the blood and bile that might still be remaining in the liver

duploelabs wrote: »
    It's not an old wives tale, nor is it there to tenderise it. Soaking in milk draws out the blood and bile that might still be remaining in the liver

Well whatever the reason it does tenderise it and I do it every time before I cook it

Advertisement