Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We're being slaughtered again...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

ronoc wrote: »
    Many are in a poor state of repair for starters.

Wouldn't a system of taxation for those on bikes, with the monies raised used to improve the cycle lanes, be a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

We can all chip in and get you the Bee Gees greatest hits if you like.

I've already got them on a Spotify playlist.

If you get the right topic and right callers, it can be a good laugh in a my jaysus people are nuts kinda way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Wouldn't a system of taxation for those on bikes, with the monies raised used to improve the cycle lanes, be a good idea?

What a great idea! And a pedestrian tax for the upkeep of footpaths! And a swimming tax for those that use the beaches. And definitely a bus tax, for those who use buses.

You, my friend, are a fiscal genius. Give that man the top job in the Dept of Finance!

.............Wait, MAYO!!!! Is that you Enda???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

QuinDixie wrote: »
    If they were banned from those roads, who would it affect only racer cyclists groups who do it for pleasure.
    You rarely see any other cyclist on those roads.

I live in the country and I commute to work on my bike. On an average morning before I get near the city I'd see on average maybe 10 cyclists. Now soon as I get near the city it's a different ball game. I'd see 10 at one junction. So should I not be allowed to cycle to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

You mean like VAT?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Something like VAT possibly ??

Surprised the government haven't done that already ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

We might as well trot out in one go the usual arguments that routinely come up when people take it upon themselves to “look out for” the welfare of us cyclists:
    * “No, you’re not drivers, none of you, you’re at best cyclists who happen to be allowed to drive a car occasionally, an entirely different beast altogether. You have no say whatsoever, WE’RE driving this debate, right!”
    * “YOU DON’T EVEN PAY *** ***!!!” (..I can’t bring myself to write those two words, the ignorance of it is horribly contagious).
    * “We are looking out for YOU! Sure, ye are dying out there by the hundreds every day, thousands even! As well as being in our way, obviously, but there is no ulterior motive here…”
    * “Why are ye MAKING us kill ye? We feel terrible but ye have only yerselves to blame sure, so that’s a consolation. The roads are for tanks and armoured vehicles only, it’s a war zone out there, as everyone knows.”
    * “What’s with the lycra? Stop making me STARE AT IT!”
    * “Oh, and I’m a cyclist myself you know. In spirit only, obviously, sure I wouldn’t want to take a bike out on the roads with the likes of me driving on it.”

Etc.

Once they’ve made things “safe” for us cyclists no doubt they’ll come for the pedestrians and anyone else “other”. Bless their concerned little hearts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

We all know the problem of cyclists is best solved by using the footpad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

We all know the problem of cyclists is best solved by using the footpad.

Yes indeed, a good kettling would do them the world of good. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I never listen to Joe or Hook or Cooper or any of that shíte, I don't watch the news and I don't read newspapers. You wouldn't believe how happy I am most of the time. Then I go and click the link to read this thread............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

spyderski wrote: »
    Because they're :

1.Covered In glass & debris
    2.Potholed & unmaintained
    3.Meandering up & down in front of peoples' driveways like a roller coaster
    4.Designed so that cyclists have to yield to traffic turning left/emerging onto the road every 50 yards
    5.come to abrupt ends, depositing riders into narrow shared lanes

Thats 5 off the top of my head. If you have ever indeed used one you should know what I mean, or else you weren't paying attention.

Lot's of roads are in shocking condition for cars/motorcyclists, should they disregard the rules of the road because the roads are bad? No of course not. As a cyclist myself I think our anger should be directed towards the council who are paid our tax money to lay and maintain the cycle lanes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's a cross I bear of being a lone worker and by afternoon needing the company of some (shrill) human voices.

You have some of my sympathy but only some . . . and maybe not even some. Joe Duffy is a total no-go zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Can a mod please fix the typo in the thread title. It's driving me mad Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

lennymc wrote: »

2 typos...
    :D

Lot's of roads are in shocking condition for cars/motorcyclists, should they disregard the rules of the road because the roads are bad? No of course not. As a cyclist myself I think our anger should be directed towards the council who are paid our tax money to lay and maintain the cycle lanes

The rules of the road say bike paths are optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

2 typos...
    :D

now that I see it, I can't unsee it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

What a great idea! And a pedestrian tax for the upkeep of footpaths! And a swimming tax for those that use the beaches. And definitely a bus tax, for those who use buses. <br />
    <br />
    You, my friend, are a fiscal genius. Give that man the top job in the Dept of Finance! <br />
    <br />
    .............Wait, MAYO!!!! Is that you Enda???
    <br />
    <br />

No need for the sarcasm. I am simply suggesting that, just like the way motorists pay for the upkeep of the roads through tax, cyclists could do the same with the cycle lanes through a similar system.

We know cyclists don't have a motor and therefore don't pay motor tax - fair enough. But then the other side of that is, how can you expect motorists to pay for cycle lanes in their tax, when they aren't cycling?

And no, I don't mean VAT. I mean a taxation system for the upkeep of cycle lanes. That is just common sense surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

now that I see it, I can't unsee it!!!!

And look at that space between the last word and the '...'

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Locking this thread now as it's just turned into a pot pourri of the usual axe grinding topics. If anyone has a problem with that, they can talk to Joe.

Done

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement