Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garnerville Pass Rate

Options
  • 13-04-2015 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

just curious to know if anyone knows, officially, or semi-officially, what the pass rate is for the SOTP at Garnerville, and of those who havent made it, if this was down to their own actions, or becuase they failed the tests throughout the course etc.

Trying to calm some of these nerves ahead of entering soon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

majgreen wrote: »
    just curious to know if anyone knows, officially, or semi-officially, what the pass rate is for the SOTP at Garnerville, and of those who havent made it, if this was down to their own actions, or becuase they failed the tests throughout the course etc.

Trying to calm some of these nerves ahead of entering soon!

I'm not entirely sure on the accurate numbers mate, but I believe the pass rate is pretty much very high, and maybe 1 or 2 folks from what I have heard haven't passed out, and that's from folks I know who have since passed out. I think you are good man, you've conquered the hardest part and you've made it, you'll kill it Garnerville. I firmly believe anyone who passes this process 1 deserves a medal haha, and 2 has more than the capability to pass the sotp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

We were told by ACC Hamilton of a few people who were 'dismissed' due to poor behaviour. Im wondering if its enough to just get your head down and do the work provided or if people have genuinely failed because the work was too hard... just anxious to get in now and see what its all about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

We were told by ACC Hamilton of a few people who were 'dismissed' due to poor behaviour. Im wondering if its enough to just get your head down and do the work provided or if people have genuinely failed because the work was too hard... just anxious to get in now and see what its all about!

Yeah I had heard some things about that, some squads more rowdy than others. Unfortunately some sods will get through the process who probably shouldn't have, that's going to happen with the level of interest in this type of career, some see it as easy money and just apply, and get through. You know what's expected of a police officer apply what you expect from a police officer into your mentality and yeah as you say just keep your head down put the work in and study your rear off.

Always remember first and foremost, your holding office of constable on behalf of the public, your a public servant first and foremost, I have been told that from family whom are in the job near 30 years plus, some members of the public our douches yes, but most aren't and if you have the mentality of "I am the law" you fail yourself therefore you fail the people you attested to keep safe. Trust me man, you deserve to be there, you guys have paid your dues.

Most people on this forum have a good head on their shoulders and genuinely want this career to make some form of difference and to say yeah I do a job that is worth while and makes a difference to people and that may sound a bit cliche but thats what most of us feel. It will be hard I know from what I have been told, but you guys got this. The very fact your anxious is a good thing, you have a certain expectation and you know there is a certain expectation and you don't want to fail I would be and hopefully will be the exact same :) Sorry for the long winded essay lol, your good dude :)

I hope its enough. Im going to submit a FOI request tonight and hopefully get an actual number/percentage. Its taken so long to get this far, but the stakes are higher now!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Don't be under the impression that the hard bits over, far from it. The hard bit is just beginning when you come in the gate. That being said, it's achievable, the people who fail simply don't do the work and don't deserve to be there.

• Advertisement

Don't be under the impression that the hard bits over, far from it. The hard bit is just beginning when you come in the gate. That being said, it's achievable, the people who fail simply don't do the work and don't deserve to be there.

For sure the hard bit is the next 22 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 200WattWarlock

OK, second attempt to post my thoughts, because I ****ed up the first attempt, but not as badly as I ****ed up in GV.

13 weeks in and I had a choice of resign or be dismissed. I had to take the dismissal otherwise I couldn't appeal.

I had a drink the night before a meeting for reasons that I can't excuse.

Asking my wife on the phone five minutes before making the decision of being dismissed or resigning was heartbreaking.

Telling my children (that were so proud that I was there) was worse.

Realising that I could never forgive myself for letting down my class or squad, and not being there to help them and back them up as I should, and the thought of how I let down the trainers, that give 100% everyday to get students through those 22 weeks is something that makes me sick to the bottom of my stomach, and is probably worse than telling my family.

Sorry guys.

I'm sure I'll see you about one way or the other. Keep doing that peeler press-up, stay safe, and for those about to start DON'T **** IT UP. You may only get one chance at your dream career, so do not falter or get complacent. I watched very good SO's resign for definition exams, and I have potentially thrown it down the drain in stupidity.

Good luck and be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I have a friend who's been in a station for a number of years. He was mentioning to me that he heard at a different station there was supposed to be a couple of newbies starting but they didn't pass their finals and others have went through GV and then at the end of training decided it's not for them!!!! Seriously like wtf?!?!?!

Warlock I'm sorry to hear that and thanks for posting it, serves as very good reminder to all us wanting into GV or about to. Hope the appeal goes your way :)

I have to admit, it angers me that people would go that far before deciding its not for them. The time, money and effort wasted on them, not to mention the people that could've been in their place.

I am getting very nervous now about starting GV very soon. Its not even the whole GV thing, its just the tests that get me worried. Gah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

not to mention the people that could've been in their place.

That's MY pet hate but tbh that's just out of jealously ATM and the position I'm finding myself in.

Majgreen, at least you're concerned about them now, you'll do grand cos you'll work at them and you will pass!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement