Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the most dangerous period to be alive??????

Options
  • 13-04-2015 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Let's look at all of the conflict and attrocities around the world over the past 12 months......

Isis beheading,burning, slaughtering and cannibalizing anyone that opposes Islam, not actual Islam, but there version of Islam,and even slaughtering innocent humans in more viscous ways on a daily basis in Syria, Iraq and Libya.

Boko Haram doing the same in Nigeria, and tiping the neighboring countries, Cameroon and Chad, even using children as suicide bombers, abducting innocent school girls and so on,reports suggest that 2,000 people died in a single attack a few weeks ago!

The Saudis carelessly dropping bombs in Yemen, not understanding that it's making it difficult for foreign aid to arrive, accidentally killing innocent children in the process.

The Charlie Hebdo attacks in Paris.

The Ebola outbreak, although it has died down in recent months, wiping through parts of Eastern Africa killing thousands and thousands at an extreme rate.

The Russia and Ukraine conflict, killing in and around 6,000 people within the past few months.

Israel bombings on the Gaza Strip, although not in the news as much anymore.

The Taliban out in force in Pakistan, most notably killing 145 innocent children just before Christmas, another attack happened last weekend, killing 20 innocent construction workers.

The Afgan Taliban also with numerous suicide attacks in Kabul.

The Sudan/South Sudan conflict.

The Malaysian Airline disasters and the recent Germanwings crash.

The missing students in southern Mexico.

And that's just naming a few.

Is the world getting more and more dangerous, and has there been a more recognised period of history, apart from both World Wars, with so many atrocities, diseases and trauma?

Please feel free to add onto some events that I have missed....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

No it's not, it's just a lot easier to hear about all this stuff due to the internet. Try living before public sanitation systems were invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Dunno, it's pretty safe where I am. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

No.

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker_on_the_myth_of_violence?language=en

We just live in a time of unprecedented access to news coverage, and in which said news coverage must bow to commercial pressure to gain attention, thus focussing on and exaggerating stories of war, terrorism and violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd say October 1962 beats this hands down. That was all or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Life expectancy has never been higher so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

more deaths from this. So no, i dont think now is the most dangerous time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i think this might be the least dangerous time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's been war throughout the world, especially in the middle east and Europe for thousands of years.

Planes are safer now today than they've ever been. How many commercial airlines travel throughout the world every day? The percentage of crashes are tiny.

Women have rights, slaveries been pushed to the edges of civilization.

Medicine works now.

I don't know how people are able to spend their day in peaceful coexistence and then pick a handful of tragic events from around the planet as evidence they're living in a dangerous place and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

OP needs to stop reading sensationalist rags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Almost all of the countries or regions referenced by the OP have experienced worse violence during the last century.

Air travel has, statistically speaking, never been safer.

Take a few deep breaths and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

OP probably think pedophiles never existed until a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yeah the old days here were great; Magdelene laundries, polio, and detachments of Black and Tans ruining your day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Depends totally on where you live. I imagine there's never been a safer time to live in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The Pleistocene was pretty miserable in comparison.
    And cold, bloody damn cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Pre prepared food always available, Central heating, cheap clothing and foot ware, benefits if unemployed. We are all extremely sheltered and will seriously struggle to survive if this, or probably when this phase ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

The Pleistocene was pretty miserable in comparison.
    And cold, bloody damn cold.

Don't remind me, higher water charges back then aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Overuse of erotemes will be the death of us all!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course not. Quality of life has never been higher, in the west at least.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

The entire death toll caused by armed conflicts throughout the world in 2014 would have been roughly the same as a particularly quiet week during World War Two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Probably the luckiest humans to have ever lived.
    Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This video usually comes up in these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'd say October 1962 beats this hands down. That was all or nothing.

The Beatles release Love Me Do?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

First and second world Wars were likely a bit worse, not to mention the Spanish flu epidemic in between them as well and thats only the previous century, you might want to read a history book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    Isis beheading,burning, slaughtering and cannibalizing anyone that opposes Islam, not actual Islam, but there version of Islam,and even slaughtering innocent humans in more viscous ways on a daily basis in Syria, Iraq and Libya.

Actually, ISIS and Boko Haram (to name but two) have strong doctrinal justification for their actions from Islam. It's a murderous interpretation of Islam, but it is Islam. Who's to say it isn't Islam's true face? The thousands (and rapidly growing) who subscribe to it would certainly claim it is.

The world isn't particularly dangerous now but remove any ongoing conflict in which Islam is a major factor and any terrorist attack for which Islam was the dominant inspiration from the list of recent calamities and the world would seem positively serene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I walked past a chap earlier and asked him a rhetorical "howaya" and he didn't even nod back. Place has gone to sh1te man, I tell ya. They don't even lock up preggo yungwans anymore, it's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

ScumLord wrote: »
    There's been war throughout the world, especially in the middle east and Europe for thousands of years.

Planes are safer now today than they've ever been. How many commercial airlines travel throughout the world every day? The percentage of crashes are tiny.

Medicine works now.

I don't know how people are able to spend their day in peaceful coexistence and then pick a handful of tragic events from around the planet as evidence they're living in a dangerous place and time.

Slavery still exist and not just at the edges of civilization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_slavery

It's safe in the west and parts of Asia... we tend to have very western based views that forget about large parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Irishguy16

ScumLord wrote: »

Medicine works now.

Medicines works? clearly not, not with the large death toll throughout Africa on a daily basis, Ebola was first declared an epidemic back in the 1970's, although came out in a greater force last year, still no cure, leaving quarantined communities to suffer and die week in week out.Are you forgetting about AIDS?kills more than a million a year, what about Malaria, Tuberculosis, Syphilis, Meningitis,tentanus,measles, and so on...... Most of these diseases are relatively new!!!!

Women have rights? You are clearly looking at the world from a western perspective. In Saudi Arabia, women aren't even allowed to drive, must cover their faces all of the time, mistreated, beaten, so on and so forth, are you forgetting about Afghanistan? One in eleven women are sentences to death at birth. The Congo is also top of my list, giving women no rights to freedom of speech, and they have no one to address because no one defends their rights. Do you not know about the terrible story about the Fillipino maids in Hong Hong? I can go on and on, but I'd prefer that you educate yourself by doing some research!!!

Slavering has been pushed out? Are you kidding?

Do do a quick google search and you will see that slavery is as visible today as it has been back in America in the 1800's. Look at the Qatar 2022 World Cup construction workers, working for a euro a day in blistering heat, passports confiscated, working long and exhausting days,living in shacks with no running water, just look at some of the BBC documentaries, they report on some very clear issues. Look at the North Koreans, working in the forests of Russia for free, in return for praise from Kim Jong Un. Brainwashed!!!!

What about the slave camps in North Korea? Do you have any idea how many people are tortured on a daily basis.

The world is really fare and advanced today? Why are so many innocent black men being shot to death in America on a weekly basis, causing riots.

You are right war has been around for thousands ond thousands of years, but now we have more wars, more people and more diseases. This is a viscious cycle, people dying at an extreme level. I bet you have never left Ireland before in your life?

Open your eyes mate!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

daUbiq wrote: »
    Slavery still exist and not just at the edges of civilization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_slavery

It's safe in the west and parts of Asia... we tend to have very western based views that forget about large parts of the world.

But are those places worse to live than they were 50 or 100 years ago? Probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Can't blame OP for thinking so, it does seem to have gone acutely mental in the last few years.
    Maybe a re-wording of the question to focus in on recent decades would be appropriate - post crash seems more uncertain than any time in the 90's or 00's.
    The economy and various fighting factions seem to have become much more indirect and hard to clarify.

Advertisement