Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 installation problem

Options
  • 13-04-2015 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

My shiny new PC arrived from Hardwareversand today, but as I feared I've hit a brick wall when trying to install windows onto the SSD (Crucial MX100). I get as far as 'expanding windows files' in the installation, then the damned thing crawls along incredibly slowly before stopping and crashing, always at 52%.

I've no idea where to even begin troubleshooting this. I had Hardwareversand build the PC exactly because I've no experience and I'm not comfortable fiddling with the innards of the PC. :(

And ideas as to what to do? All help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

always at 52%.

Primary Suspect: Corrupt installation media. Using a disk/USB you made yourself?
    Secondary Suspect: SSD defect or driver issue. Grab a disk with DBAN on it and do two full passes to have the drive controller "check itself".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Thanks for the reply! :)
    ED E wrote: »
    Primary Suspect: Corrupt installation media. Using a disk/USB you made yourself?
    Downloaded it and burned a DVD. Could I copy the ISO onto a USB I wonder, and try that?
    Secondary Suspect: SSD defect or driver issue. Grab a disk with DBAN on it and do two full passes to have the drive controller "check itself".
    This is the scary option. I really don't fancy sending the SSD back to Hardwareversand if it is defective. Wouldn't even know how to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

this will put the .iso on the usb key for you :

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

put the usb key into a usb 2 socket to save loading drivers

( or it'll give the wonderfully useful " needs a cd/dvd device driver to continue)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

I've had this loads of times and "primary suspect" is nearly always apparent

Thanks for the reply! :)

Downloaded it and burned a DVD. Could I copy the ISO onto a USB I wonder, and try that?

See gctest50's link. Download the ISO again in case it was corrupted during dl, and then create the USB with the tool.
    This is the scary option. I really don't fancy sending the SSD back to Hardwareversand if it is defective. Wouldn't even know how to prove it.

Its not super likely, but if it was the case you'd just need to stress test it with a USB cradle. Try the new image first anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

in case its the ssd go into your bios and turn ahci mode on if its not already

See gctest50's link. Download the ISO again in case it was corrupted during dl, and then create the USB with the tool.
    I'll try to download it from a different source as a first step.

Thanks for the help to date lads.

Gentlemen - a small update on this. I've spent a couple of hours trying to get the DVD version of Windows onto a USB, but the copying across of the files - the final step - seems to have broken down at...52%!

So, unless this is an astonishing coincidence, it looks like the problem lies in the DVD. I won't have a fresh version of Win 7 to install until tomorrow (I deleted the last ISO having burned it...doh) as it's downloading at something like 20kb p/s, but hopefully it's not an SSD problem after all.

Using here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery ?

If so you should be able to saturate your downstream. If not....tut tut :pac:

Just to round off the story, the install worked first time from the USB, so the problem was indeed a bad DVD. I have a key for Win 7 (albeit from Reddit), but I never knew about the option of downloading from Microsoft...

Thanks again all for your help! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement