Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Players Lounge/Fairview Inn

Options
  • 13-04-2015 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I noticed today that the old Players Lounge/Fairview Inn has had a lick of paint at the front and has been generally tidied up including the removal of the Auctioneers Sold sign, bill posters, etc.
    Does anybody know what is happening there or who the new owners are?
    Is it reopening as a pub?
    There was extensive fire damage and I would imagine it would need considerable renovations regardless of what the new owners intend to do with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Used to be a fair old boozer when it was the old Fairview Inn / Kelly's back in the early 00's, sadly the clientele turned into right filth after about 06/07.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Maybe Galway Bay Brewery taking up another old pub opportunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

No footfall past that place. Whoever has bought it had better have something good to offer! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

Maybe Galway Bay Brewery taking up another old pub opportunity?

Too good to be true.
    Personally I think the area could service a decent pub with a quality restaurant attached.
    Perhaps a throw back to the days when it was Kellys/Fairview Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No footfall past that place. Whoever has bought it had better have something good to offer! :eek:

There are couple of coffee shops/restaurants around the corner nearer Fairview Park. It is a very heavily built up area with lots of chippers, pubs & Centra type businesses. The area could definitely sustain more decent places to eat imo. Then there are the crowds of people that stream past it after an event in Croke Park. I've often left Croker and hankered after something a bit better than something from a burger van. Did it only yesterday in fact. Come on ye boys in blue ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Will it be called the Continuity Players Lounge?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

anncoates wrote: »
    Will it be called the Continuity Players Lounge?

No,

Seemingly it's to be called the real players lounge..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

not yet wrote: »
    No,

It will probably split into two pubs with similar names and immediately come to loggerheads with one another before one wins out and the other disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's a chance they might just be sprucing up the outside following complaints about the neglected state of it...

IN other local news... Is Canters shut? Havent seen it open in ages.
    Plus Smyths Pub has been put up for sale as a going concern...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I heard from somebody last week that the Cock and Bull are taking it over. Not sure how true that is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

not yet wrote: »
    No,

I think you'll find it'll be called the Real True Salt o' de Eart' Workin' Class Republican Dubs Brits Out Wrap the Green Flag Around Me Bhoys Up the Celts POW's Solidarity Lounge.

porsche959 wrote: »
    I think you'll find it'll be called the Real True Salt o' de Eart' Workin' Class Republican Dubs Brits Out Wrap the Green Flag Around Me Bhoys Up the Celts POW's Solidarity Lounge.

Well that's easy for you to say ! :D

Good luck to you getting anyone to ever admit to actually being in The Real True Salt o' de Eart' Workin' Class Republican Dubs Brits Out Wrap the Green Flag Around Me Bhoys Up the Celts POW's Solidarity Lounge !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

porsche959 wrote: »
    ...and 1916 Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There's a chance they might just be sprucing up the outside following complaints about the neglected state of it...

IN other local news... Is Canters shut? Havent seen it open in ages.
    Plus Smyths Pub has been put up for sale as a going concern...

Canters shut around the new year, yeah. So disappointed, it was one of my favourite Indian places. Didn't know about Smyths pub now.

I agree that Fairview could do with a nice place to eat especially for the Croker crowd. We've 3 coffee/sandwich shops with a fourth opening where Xtravision was, and with Canters gone a nice sit down restaurant to get some proper grub would go well there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

A sit down restaurant for the Croker crowd makes no economic sense unfortunately. Not enough time to turnover tables etc.

Pub with nice grub is the only thing that would make sense for that sorta demographic.

Plenty of really nice places to eat in drumcondra tho :)

I didn't mean a sit down restaurant exclusively for the Croker crowd. I meant a sit down restaurant for the area in general. The fact that Croke Park also brings a lot of business to the area, would be an additional source of revenue for it.

As for the demographic of the Croke Park attendee...that is a bit narrow minded imo. Plenty of us actually like "proper" food, as opposed to a burger from a van, or a flask of tea & a packet of ham sambos from the boot of the car. Have you ever been in the Croke Park Hotel restaurant, or Mick Wallaces Asti restaurant on Jones Rd, before or after a match or a concert? They are packed.

Advertisement