Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Ambulance (registered as motor caravan) but not converted

Options
  • 13-04-2015 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,
    I just bought an ex ambulance, registered in UK as Campervan on documentation. However none of the required fittings are currently in it (may have been gutted) so it is empty. What would be the best way to proceed in regard to registering it in Ireland, VRT and insurance? Can't insure it as is because it hasn't got a sink, bed etc. Don't want to risk spending too much on the conversion until I get it through the DOE. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I would say you won't be able to register it as a camper until it's converted? I could be wrong on that. Do you not need to have it registered to do the DOE? I hope you didn't pay too much for it, you may be liable for the VRT of a van until such time as its converted. From reading on here it's a bit of a pain getting it all sorted. There are probably some masochists here who can advise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 0kee

Thanks Kol. Yeah hopefully someone here will have some pointers on where to start. It's a bit of an odd situation, kind of catch 22.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Just put the bare minimum into it badly and get it registered then work on converting it properly, you'll be charged 13.3% of what they think its worth so no point in doing a good job on it.

Saves you a loada grief in the end you won't need an RGI, or garage to sign off on the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

moodrater wrote: »
    Just put the bare minimum into it badly and get it registered then work on converting it properly, you'll be charged 13.3% of what they think its worth so no point in doing a good job on it.

Agreed.

Also don't forget that the interior, as such, is of no concern to the DOE tester. As far as I'm aware it will only have to pass the cursory check to see that it has the required units fitted.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. I was getting worried I may have been trapped in some kind of legislative vicious circle

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭tony2phones

Bit late perhaps. But if you fit the very basics required, 6ft bed, cooking facilities (microwave with an inverter so it lights up) storage locker, sink/water supply. Table, Then you can have the registration as a camper transferred.

As said above leave this basic because the VRT will be worked out on the value, so technically as rough as possible so its worth naff all.

once the paperwork is sorted, NCT and VRT out the way, you can do it up (if you want).

Thanks Tony. I'm in the middle of it at the moment and rough I can do :)

Thank you all for the good advice. It worked out as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Are you using it as a camper? How did this process go?

• Advertisement

Yeah. It's pretty bare bones as yet but we're getting there. Put the bed/seating/storage and kitchen in using 2"x2" and light plywood. Got a sink and a handy storage solution (can't post links but it's sold as toy storage for a kids room) from ikea. We were given a 2 hob stove and grill and we bought and fitted one of those single leg camper tables (specifically for the VRT examination, probably never use it). That was enough to tick all the boxes and get it through the VRT inspection without costing us an arm and a leg in tax. No all that's done and it's taxed and doe we are trying to do the electrics and fix a leak...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

be nice to see some of the photos. Have you any idea of how much it cost you in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭tony2phones

Be good to know what the VRT was and what their valuation was compared to your own

Advertisement