Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Build Help] Amazon sent me a Chinese AMD FX6300. Is this ok?

Options
  • 13-04-2015 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

This might be a ridiculous question as my common sense tells me that a CPU is a CPU, but I just want to be sure before I open it. I got my AMD FX6300 today but the packaging is almost completely in Chinese. There's one line of English on the back along with other languages.

Am I right in thinking this is a normal 6300 simply in a different box or would it be of lesser quality?

Here's the packaging

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It'll be fine, won't make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Brianconway_

As said above should not make any diffence. Amazon must of mixed up regions. Hope build goes well.
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

It'll be fine, won't make any difference.

Cheers guys. My only worry now is that it was via a third party seller on Amazon (Dinsdale Electronics). And although they gave an almost perfect Feedback Score, it just feels a bit iffy still.

Like why does it say 5GHz on the packaging when the chip is 3.5 or 4.5 at OC (at least from what I've heard).

I know I'm probably completely overthinking this but it's my first build and I just don't want this to turn out dodgy and give me trouble down the line.

Plus the fake AMD chip scandal obviously doesn't help! http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amazon-fake-amd-cpus,28528.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If it's a fake CPU it just won't work full stop. There aren't counterfeit CPU's in the sense that you get counterfeit clothes, jewelry, DVDs, etc - if it works, it's real.

I was just answering on the basis that a 6300 can't be graded no matter where it's from - they are all the same.

What do the other sides of the box say? You should be able to see the CPU through the box on one of the sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

If it's a fake CPU it just won't work full stop. There aren't counterfeit CPU's in the sense that you get counterfeit clothes, jewelry, DVDs, etc - if it works, it's real.

I was just answering on the basis that a 6300 can't be graded no matter where it's from - they are all the same.

What do the other sides of the box say? You should be able to see the CPU through the box on one of the sides.

Ah right. Well the back has a pr blurb sentence in numerous languages, one side is empty and this is the best I could translate the other side - http://imgur.com/xvzRevs (sorry for no hyperlink, I'm on mobile).

The CPU itself has the same serial number as the AMD label on the box and I've just scanned the QR code which leads me to AMD site and they say it's fine so I guess it's ok.

Again I realise I'm over analysing this but first build and that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Fake CPUs do pop up every now and then, generally the culprits seem to put some old low end cpu in the box so it looks somewhat genuine. AMD have a page for determining the authenticity:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/pib/authenticity

Advertisement