Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing\Lodging US Treasury Cheque in Ireland

• 13-04-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi,

I received a US tax refund last week from the IRS. It is a US Treasury cheque. I have tried to lodge it in two banks here and also spoke to a third. Two banks won't take it and the third said I have to have an account with them and be known to the branch.

I spoke to a company in Dublin that submits US Tax returns from Ireland (
    not Taxback.com) and was told that they never heard of a cheque not being cashed/accepted by banks here.

I have also tried to contact the IRS to have the cheque cancelled and the refund sent by EFT but apparently they won't cancel a cheque once isseued.

One of the Irish banks initially took the cheque but it was rejected on the basis that Ireland and the US do not have an agreement in relation to these cheques, not really sure what that means.

My brother lives in the US and asked his bank could I endorse to him and he could lodge it, that's not allowed either.

At this stage I have run out of ideas.

Has anyone ever come across this issue before? Or can anyone offer advice or suggestions on what I could try next?

Thanks
    LL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

A bank where you have an account should be willing to send it for collection, they won't lodge it directly, it will probably take weeks for the funds payment to come back from the States and there will be a charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply, I tried sending for special collection, the bank originally took the check but I got a call today saying that it was returnwd as they don't have the facility to process.

Any other ideas??

Thanks
    LL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Can you ask the remitter to process an automated payment direct to your bank account, and to cancel the cheque?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Call me Al wrote: »
    Can you ask the remitter to process an automated payment direct to your bank account, and to cancel the cheque?

Ah yeah, hey Uncle Sam,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Call me Al wrote: »

I have tried that, once the refund is processed they won't cancel the cheque.

Also spoke to tax back.com, they said IRS won't transfer to banks outside the U.S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

my friend wrote: »
    Ah yeah, hey Uncle Sam,
    It's the IRS, with real live people working there, so I think it's safe to assume you're not looking to speak with Barack Obama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The only option is that you on your next trip to the US walk into a bank or check cashing place and cash the check there. As long as you have an ID (passport) that matches the name on the check those place are going to cash the check as they can validate that it's real online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 travelbug_xo

Hi

I am currently facing the same problem with my US Tax refund check. Did you figure out a way to cash your check in Ireland after?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Bump.
    Any update, or anyone else have any ideas. Ta.

Bump.

• Advertisement

Bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

open a transferwise borderless account, call the IRS and ask them to cancel the check and credit the amount to the borderless account.

Quickest/Cheapest possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bredacq

My son is having the same problem.
    He was sent his tax refund by US Treasury cheque to my sister's address n the US. It cant be endorsed and deposited in anyone else's US account.
    He hasn't tried to deposit it in his account here but going by posters here, he won't be able to deposit it in his account here either.
    It will be a long time before he is in the US again p, so opening an account over there to deposit it into, isn't an option either. How did those of you that had the problem here (little lady, travelbug_xo, and MintyMagnum) deal with it eventually?

Advertisement