Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LG G4 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

I also must have ordered from the same seller. It arrived yesterday less than 24 hours after dispatch. Brilliant seller and a very good price also. Absolutely loving the phone so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    how's the audio (with headphones) on this ladies and gents?
    Its seriously important to me and I keep finding mixed reviews :mad:

Is the quality good? hows the volume etc? Would appreciate any feedback as my finger currently hovers over the purchase option :o

I too like my volume loud and have been very disappointed with androids but on my SG I just bought Rocket player music player and fiddled around til I got to teh amp I think and then pushed higher!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I ordered from an Italian ebay vendor and got my G4 less than a week later using TNT as the courier. Very happy with the phone, no real problems on the delivery besides the transport details taking two days to appear, made me paranoid at first.

What was the price? . Was it much cheaper than Amazon?

I was all set to buy one until I read reports that the battery life is only average e.g 3.5 hours of screen on time.

The camera is a real draw for me.

3000mAh battery is same add G3 yet G4 had the more power hungry screen.

Anyone comment on real life screen on time for a full charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

biebiebie wrote: »

I find it is anywhere between 2-4hrs depending on a number of factors including screen brightness, signal strength, standby time etc. I will generally get a full days fairly heavy usage. I had a Note 4 previously and find the battery about 20% better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I find it is anywhere between 2-4hrs depending on a number of factors including screen brightness, signal strength, standby time etc. I will generally get a full days fairly heavy usage. I had a Note 4 previously and find the battery about 20% better

If I'm using the phone occasionally throughout the day I'll get about 2h SoT. If I burn through it all at once I'll get 4 hours SoT at least. Maybe 5.

I have no problem getting through a day though I keep a charger in work for those days that I'm doing a lot of sitting waiting for experimental steps etc and playing on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

So it finally arrived.

It's a lovely device. One thing does anyone find chrome browser extremely slow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's extremely jerky to scroll on the G4, especially on sites like this where there's multiple ads on the page. Try nochromo instead.

I've noticed 2 things.

1. Boards seemed to be gone to hell on Chrome on my laptop too as that was my test site of sorts when using the phone.

2. I put it beside my iPhone 5 which has been my daily phone for ages and there about the same speed :o

Don't know why I thought Chrome would be lightening fast.

Attempting root now, apparently once rooted disabling ipV6 gets rid of the lag, gonna try it along with AdAway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭N64

Boards.ie is a badly coded site. The adverts on mobile make the site crawl on any device irrespective of how powerful it is.

Phone rooted, with Adaway installed and ipV6 turned off. Chrome is lightening fast :)

Boards is the only site that doesn't work cause its actually broke :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Just a quick question everyone. If I was to root the G4, would I still be able to receive future OTAs if I still kept it stock firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Was testing and found the AudioFX app that comes with CM/OPO works perfect on the G4! even better is it happily works as the google music built in EQ settings and has no ads, better still it has profiles/custom setting for each way you listen to music (EG speaker/Bluetooth/headphone)

Found an app to edit app permissions with no root needed. (Best of all is this app needs no permissions.. Go figure!)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=thewazteam.lgaccesslock

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

biebiebie wrote: »
    What was the price? . Was it much cheaper than Amazon?

I was all set to buy one until I read reports that the battery life is only average e.g 3.5 hours of screen on time.

The camera is a real draw for me.

3000mAh battery is same add G3 yet G4 had the more power hungry screen.

It cost me €409 including shipping.

Battery life I've found really good so far, at least idle as I haven't been using it intensely just yet so I can't really give a proper SoT. Also maybe this was just in my head but for the Location Mode GPS settings, high accuracy seemed to really drain the battery. I've ordered a spare battery and a powerbank as well just in case so i'm not too worried about battery issues on the road.

The only thing I'm actually worried about is dropping the bloody thing, it's so big in your hand and there's no real grip (even with leather case, thought that would provide some sorta grip), constantly paranoid holding it. Been treating it like a live hand grenade or something.

You know how you can change your phone dialler with a new app, is there any way to change the incoming call layout? That mint color LG theme and circle swipe is sickening me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

If I'm using the phone occasionally throughout the day I'll get about 2h SoT. If I burn through it all at once I'll get 4 hours SoT at least. Maybe 5.

I have no problem getting through a day though I keep a charger in work for those days that I'm doing a lot of sitting waiting for experimental steps etc and playing on the phone.

2h SoT :confused::eek::mad:

That is ridiculous!

That is ridiculous!

Not really if my phone hasn't been charged in over 48 hours and I am barely using it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

That is ridiculous!

Frequently bluetoothing music to headphones, and getting notifications in the background. I agree it's not great. I rarely have trouble getting through a work day, though if I go out at night without boosting it in the evening, I get a little anxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭N64

I frequently get 4 hours SOT. SOT really isn't that good of a measurement of a phone's battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

I'm considering to jump ship from a Oneplus two to this, wha'cha guys think?

Oneplus two have not impressed me in anyway, other than the fingerprint sensor, G4 seems to do better though.

Some advice would be nice ;)

kingbob387 wrote: »
    I'm considering to jump ship from a Oneplus two to this, wha'cha guys think?

Oneplus two have not impressed me in anyway, other than the fingerprint sensor, G4 seems to do better though.

Some advice would be nice ;)

It comes down to what you need/want from a phone now and what you wish your next one to have

What won me over was all that was missing from the OPT the G4 had going for it out of the box for around the same price.
    EG: proven top notch Camera with RAW support, removable battery, Micro-sd support (up to 2 TB) and NFC all helped me pick the G4.

While the 2K screen is nice for sure on the G4 but not really necessary IMO
    Wireless charging isn't necessary but it's supported, to use it you need a replacement back cover or 3rd party sticker.

What the G4 is missing that the OPT has is 1GB less RAM and that 810 CPU.
    I'm living with it 2 months now, I see no performance issues or slowdowns under load using those hardware components and all the reviews also back it up that there's really no day to day disadvantage.

OPT has finger print but that's nice to have, I use my pebble to auto lock/unlock.

In the end it comes down to what you want vs what you have now.

The android 6.0 ROM is out for peeps running the G4, anyone willing to test out? :pac:

god's toy wrote: »
    It comes down to what you need/want from a phone now and what you wish your next one to have

What won me over was all that was missing from the OPT the G4 had going for it out of the box for around the same price.
    EG: proven top notch Camera with RAW support, removable battery, Micro-sd support (up to 2 TB) and NFC all helped me pick the G4.

While the 2K screen is nice for sure on the G4 but not really necessary IMO
    Wireless charging isn't necessary but it's supported, to use it you need a replacement back cover or 3rd party sticker.

What the G4 is missing that the OPT has is 1GB less RAM and that 810 CPU.
    I'm living with it 2 months now, I see no performance issues or slowdowns under load using those hardware components and all the reviews also back it up that there's really no day to day disadvantage.

OPT has finger print but that's nice to have, I use my pebble to auto lock/unlock.

In the end it comes down to what you want vs what you have now.

I like the G4 for it's NFC, removable battery and amazing camera, I might just jump ship to it, found someone to swap the G4 for my OPT.

The 810 isn't all that great tbh, it gets warm too easily and even when I play Heartstone on the phone it heats like crazy and the battery drains incredibly quick.

Other options are too expensive :pac:

G4 and OPT is best bang for the buck with top specs

It's fairly subjective, I've no interest in fingerprint scanner or wireless charging so doesn't bother me. Also interested why you think it's dated? If it is because of the fingerprint scanner then I wouldn't agree, at the moment its a nice convenience but that's it. Maybe if Android pay starts getting more widely used it would be good but that a couple of years away at least. I think for the price the LG G4 is at the moment it is a good buy, got years of life left in it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

Does anyone know of any cases for the LG G4 that has wireless charging + NFC that isn't one of those quick circle cases?

I tried the sticker but keep messing up the alignment and at this point the frustration just isn't worth it.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of any cases for the LG G4 that has wireless charging + NFC that isn't one of those quick circle cases?

I tried the sticker but keep messing up the alignment and at this point the frustration just isn't worth it.

Have you seen this way/type ? you stick it on the battery first, test then once you know its working you put on the back.

Advertisement