Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The LG G4 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

You tried factory reset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭N64

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The battery life is not horrendous by any means. Not as good as the G2 for sure but it still performs better than the GS6. You must have gotten a defective device if factory reset didn't solve the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

On a full charge (unplug to 5% remaining) I got no better than 2.5hrs screen-on and 12 hours total with normal use. And that's with brightness set at 19%.

My G2 could do 3.5 hours SOT with 18 total at 35% brightness, and my Z3 can do 5 hours SOT with 16 total at auto brightness.

Horrendous.

Sounds like you got a dud

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Maybe some day the defect will become known and I could replace a board or something. The duds are quite common in this model.

Have you tried getting onto LG about it?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No point. They don't cover phones bought overseas, so they'll tell me the same as when my G2 screen lost its touch.
    I just won't buy their products again, though the G2 was probably the best phone I ever had before it died.

Worth checking it out. Every phone has a 12 month warranty!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Anyone know how to set chrome as default browser from the goggle now cards? As in if you click a a link from a Google now card it opts for the built in browser which is ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

moggser wrote: »
    Anyone know how to set chrome as default browser from the goggle now cards? As in if you click a a link from a Google now card it opts for the built in browser which is ****

Maybe you could reset set app preferences and see then if it gives you after the option to select between the browsers (the just once or always prompt).

Trouble with this is it'll wipe all your app defaults and you'll get the prompt for everything else for awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Maybe you could reset set app preferences and see then if it gives you after the option to select between the browsers (the just once or always prompt).

Trouble with this is it'll wipe all your app defaults and you'll get the prompt for everything else for awhile.

No, go to "app info", and click "clear defaults".

After a while of selecting it as your default, you'll not be bothered with it again.

No, go to "app info", and click "clear defaults".

After a while of selecting it as your default, you'll not be bothered with it again.

What else will that do?reset anything else

What else will that do?reset anything else

It just clears where you've set that app as the default app. So you need to remove the built in browsers defaults before you can select Chrome to be the default one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So is the general consensus that these are good phones?
    I've the S4 on bill and I am thinking of going to pay as you go and buying the G4 myself. But the reviews here seem to be a little mixed.

Too thick? It's a couple mm thicker than the other flagship devices but has a larger battery than the iPhone, Galaxy S6 etc.

Totally worth it considering it also has a REMOVEABLE battery and microSD card slot.

It just clears where you've set that app as the default app. So you need to remove the built in browsers defaults before you can select Chrome to be the default one.

Nice one that worked fair play

Nice one that worked fair play

Got a update of sorts by in else get one and know what it is

• Advertisement

I think LG, along with Samsung, have committed to the monthly security updates that Google are doing with the Nexus 5 & 6. Could be that.

Maybe... Was a big enough one I'll install later on see what's going on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭strongback

Reading the thread I see some brought their G4's from Italian Amazon.

Could one of you who bought an Italian phone let me know if there is a downside to buying a foreign phone in terms of regional settings and preloaded software etc?

The leather version is on German Amazon for €505 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭strongback

Thanks for the reply.

I read about your battery problems and have been doing a bit of forum reading on it. It seems many people are getting 4+ hours SoT and many others as low as 1.5 hrs. There's no explanation for this as far as I can see but there is definitely a consensus that there are some G4's that are performing badly battery wise.

Screen brightness and disabling as many apps as possible seems the only answer until an update addresses this. I have read disabling Chrome and Facebook helps.

I did a factory reset on mine that was getting less than 2 hrs screen on time. Spent most of this morning in bed and had >3h SoT and still 40% battery left.

I dont have detailed results, but I feel my battery life has improved since.

Btw I still have location on, bluetooth, wifi etc etc. No fb app installed. Spent those 3 hours mostly just reading things from reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Got sick of waiting for the OP2 invite and was more than a little pissed at reveal anyway for the missing hardware... Definitely not a 'killer' this year or next that's for sure. :rolleyes:

So I was looking a 5''+ phone with a priority of a good camera over everything...but not a samsung...
    I completely missed this G4 thread and indeed whole phone if I'm honest as I only really took notice of it after the letdown of the OPT.
    Looking at the moto x style next to it, the G4 has everything the moto X has but with tons of good reviews around to boot plus and a proven good camera.

So I jumped in on black leather backed G4 (UK H815) for 500 euro inc delivery from amazon.
    Delivery should be this week as its coming from France. (I see over there you can walk in and pick one up for 400 sim free)

Please forgive my noob questions if I have any here as I'm late to the party. (If this thread is still open)

• Advertisement

Really?

The phone was bought retail on anazon within the EU right? So it should not matter which country you got it from as it should be covered.

Have you spoke to LG or amazon about it?

I have got a few phones fixed after buying them over ebay and amazon as europe is europe.

Always use Nova on all my phones.
    If I have a dud the EU distance selling laws come into effect and I can return within 14 days.

I'll be sure to stress it good by day 10 and if needed request a replacement.
    Not the first time I've had to do that under EU selling rules.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10 redgar

Patww79 wrote:

Yes the update patches stagefright but I also noticed a few other improvements. The last version I was running was 10B as I haven't updated as I unlocked the BL so can't take OTAs.

Anyway, touch response has certainly improved even though I never had the issues mentioned over in XDA. On previous FW versions the device did not register touches when you touched the screen with your fingernail, now it does. Scrolling on webpages etc is also much smoother for me.

These are just a couple of things I've noticed. As for battery mine seems the same, I can get a full day out of a charge which is all I need as I charge my devices every night anyway.

Good to see LG still pushing out bugfixs. I read somewhere they will be doing the monthly updates... We will see. But least the stage fright is patched... Not that it really posed a threat to Android 4 and up anyway.

I'm Still waiting for my G4 to arrive. Amazon says Saturday delivery to parcel motel so that means Monday possessing and a Tuesday delivery to my PM inbox. Can't wait!

Ok so I have the G4 two full days now and here is my findings..

LOVE IT! (so far)

OK so I will say that after I first turned it on and set up everything I was impressed with how well the phone was handing the LG heavy-ish skin.
    One thing that put me off right away was seeing micro stutter around the UI. I remember Samsung phones having that and I wasn't happy to see it on the G4. The good news is it went away (and hasn't come back) after I updated to 5.1 and updated the LG keyboard app too. sooo Happy days.

So many nice add ons to the UI like built in IR remote and Q slides but I wish I could hide them all like stock and have em only when I needed them.

no blote really (not inc LG apps)

Battery life is fantastic! loving going back to a 3000 whopper once again.

Speaker is frigging brilliant with 1W of nice sound that's not thin or distorted in any way.

4G worked out of the box and gets 4G in places the Oneplus never did.

Oh and one last thing: DAT Camera! wow thats a nice hardware/software combo. However, as the screen is over saturated to start with it doesn't help you get a true picture of how your pic will look on other hardware but at least it's not as overblown as amoled!

Looks like I have no screen/scrolling problems to speak off so thats a relief, but I will be testing for a few days more.

so after two days I'm very happy it has already trashed the Oneplus one, just see how I feel about the OPT in a little while.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Looking at this along with a few others on my list.

Anyone know good makers to get spare batteries and charger unit?

If they weren't much it might be a good option with a couple spare batteries to swap in and out.

Best of luck getting anything for this phone. LG and the third party manufacturers never followed through on anything for it. The fact you can't buy a back cover with wireless charging built in at this stage says it all (that circle case mess doesn't count). Genuine batteries are like hens teeth and I've tried 3 aftermarket ones so far that weren't worth a toss. You'd go from 80% to 60% to 70% to 50% in the space of a minute.

I thought you had a dud?

Nothing like that on my friends phone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ok so the battery arrived this morning but I haven't gotten to test it yet. The cover arrived too. It has an LG G4 logo on the front at the bottom that wasn't there in the product photos. Doesn't bother me, but it's 100% as described.

The cover overlaps slightly at the corners compared to the leather/plastic cover. I still can't test the wireless charging as the charger hasn't arrived yet. The quick circle part of the case works but it would a whole lot more useful if...
    1) AMOLED display so it wastes less battery.
    2) More bloody watch faces. There's a beautifully designed white one but it's not available in black and I dont have the time to get the apk, tear it apart, invert the colours, repackage etc. I need to look for another market.
    3) more apps supported quickcircle to control things.

Honestly, I'd rather get a non-quick circle cover but this will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Has anyone else had trouble with re-acquring a signal after losing it. Yesterday I went into a building where there is no signal and then I didn't notice for that for nearly an hour after in areas where I normally have full signal I had no signal. Had to restart my phone and then it was back to normal

Not me anyway. Being on the three network and on almost every phone I'm diving into the settings to re enable 3/4 g at least every other day ... but the G4 looks to be holding onto the network better than any phone before it (thats not a three native device) and if it does dropped off the network just selecting "Select automatically" pulls it back on without having to do a full network search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

god's toy wrote: »
    Not me anyway. Being on the three network and on almost every phone I'm diving into the settings to re enable 3/4 g at least every other day ... but the G4 looks to be holding onto the network better than any phone before it (thats not a three native device) and if it does dropped off the network just selecting "Select automatically" pulls it back on without having to do a full network search.

Yeah maybe it was just a one off, only have the phone a few days. Coming from a Note 4 this is better in nearly every way. The Note 4 screen is a bit nicer is the only thing really

• Advertisement
Advertisement