Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwell Dog

• 13-04-2015 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tegan is not well today. When I came home from work she was out of sorts and not walking well. While checking her over I found that her stomach was very bloated.

I took her to the vet who examined her and said that while she's definitely bloated and tender it's not fluid or air in her abdomen. Her colour is good and she doesn't have a temperature. The vet gave her injections of painkillers and something to speed up digestive transit.

We're home now since 6 and she seems to be more mobile, I guess that's the painkillers, and is definitely guarding me; she's following me around and has attacked Rani twice for coming near me.

She still hasn't weed or pooed, not since about 7 this morning and, I'm starting to get concerned. She hasn't drank anything since I've been home, should I put a bit of a beef stock cube in her water to encourage her to drink? Any ideas?

It's very possible that she could have eaten something on the walk yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Yikes! poor you - looking and not knowing whats going on is the pits.
    My old dog used to get that "bloat" occassionally - very uncomfortable and unsettled - it used to subside fairly quickly - 24 hours
    A stock cube would be very salty I think??
    Would she crunch an ice cube or two?
    Hope shes better in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

aonb wrote: »
    Yikes! poor you - looking and not knowing whats going on is the pits.
    My old dog used to get that "bloat" occassionally - very uncomfortable and unsettled - it used to subside fairly quickly - 24 hours
    A stock cube would be very salty I think??
    Would she crunch an ice cube or two?
    Hope shes better in the morning

Yeah, it's the worry more than anything. Especially since she's never had anything like this before.

That's what I was thinking about the stock cube. I'm just going out of my mind here. I'm planning to sleep on the sofa to be here if she needs me tonight, but the idea of going to work in the morning and leaving her is killing me. I have arranged for my neighbour to come in several times during the day and if someone could tell me how to get the Skype on my laptop to auto-answer I'd be very grateful. I'm hoping I'll be able to take a half day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

its awful when our buddies are off form but you have done the right thing in going to the vet my worry would be gastric torsion

but im pretty sure your vet would have ruled this out

hope the morning brings better news

She's now panting quite a bit and acting like she's trying to get something out of her throat, not retching but chomping if you know what I mean. She's definitely uncomfortable but I don't think she's in pain. She's drank a little bit but still hasn't passed anything.

jimf wrote: »
    its awful when our buddies are off form but you have done the right thing in going to the vet my worry would be gastric torsion

but im pretty sure your vet would have ruled this out

hope the morning brings better news

Torsion was ruled out, thankfully it's not something terriers are very prone to

• Advertisement

thank god for that kylith ive seen it once years ago I think its more the giant breeds are prone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do you think she might be trying to bring something up? If so I'd probably try and get her to drink something like you were thinking earlier to see if it'll move things along. We have a problem here with Bailey when he pukes - he'll normally resource guard it and eat it again...then the drama starts all over again watching him etc. I've had to make him sick twice - once was when he'd eaten loads of seaweed and kept bringing it up and eating it again before we could get to it. The smell >_<

I don't think so, there's no heaving at all, it's more like she's got a hair at the back of her throat: grimacing and tongue flicking but no heaving or retching.

kylith wrote: »
    I don't think so, there's no heaving at all, it's more like she's got a hair at the back of her throat: grimacing and tongue flicking but no heaving or retching.

I'd try some honey then to see if it soothes her throat? We have have a jar of manuka set aside for the dogs lol!

Unfortunately I don't have any. I'm about to bed down for the night on the sofa. I've never before gone to sleep hoping to be woken by a dog needing the loo!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

My old westie used to get bouts similar to what you describe kylith, and I used to find bringing him for a little walk around the block, letting him set the pace, helped get things moving :o It was a tip from my vet. My westie was a demon for eating dead things on the beach which always set these bouts off.
    I know you have no Manuka honey, but any honey would do. Also, if she'd lick some live yogurt, it'd help sort her guts out too.

She drank a fair bit at about 4am, so that's something. I tried getting her to walk but we only got as far as next door's gate when she'd had enough. She did have a little wee, which is something. She's still alert and her gums are good and pink.

I've arranged for my neighbour to come in several times today and I have my Skype set up so I can check in too. Hopefully I can get out early and if there's been no poo explosion it's back to the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

God i hope the poor pet feels better soon XX

Nothing worse as they cant tell you what's wrong!

I've no honey at all DBB. She's an awful one for picking stuff up on walks and while 'drop it' means she drops it sometimes she'll swallow it before I can get to her.

I can't get my Skype to work with 4g so I'm going out of my head waiting for word from my neighbour.

Tegan's back in the vet's now for blood tests to check her kidney and liver function and if they don't show anything they'll do x-rays. Hopefully I'll have her back tonight. She's still listless and not really able to walk and has definite stomach pain and is still very bloated.

Poor Rani doesn't know what's going on; she's been walking around the house whining and looking for Tee.

:( Ah fingers crossed for her!

They found a mass in her stomach. A growth possibly on her spleen or her liver. I don't know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

They found a mass in her stomach. A growth possibly on her spleen or her liver. I don't know what to do.

What is the vet saying are the options?

1) Do nothing. That's not an option.
    2) Exploratory surgery. If it's on her spleen they can remove it, but not if its on her liver. I don't know if I want to put her through a surgery if there's a good chance it'll be pointless. There are also concerns about the anaesthetic because of her age.
    3) End it before she's in pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Do the exploratory surgery. If its pointless its pointless, she will be sedated anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Honestly it's option 2 then; because if option 2 don't work out it morphs into option 3 and since option 1 is not an option there's your answer.

Oh no :(
    I was a bit concerned that it was something more serious because she continued to be uncomfortable.
    I don't know what to say to you about your options... Did they x-ray or scan? If the latter helps tell them where the mass is, it might help you make your choice... I'm taking it that bloods aren't making the answer any clearer, no?
    If it were me, I'd be very slow to opt for surgery in an older dog, but it is a really difficult and personal choice.
    Will be keeping everything crossed, what a horrible time for you :(

this is not the news I was hoping to read this evening

I would be hopeful its nothing sinister as the symptoms came on so fast

fingers crossed for a quick recovery

The bloods showed that her liver enzymes were very slightly elevated. They both x-rayed and did an ultrasound. They'll talk me through the x-rays when I go to pick her up.

As I said I'm wary of putting her through a surgery if there's only a 50/50 chance of it being any use, I don't want her to go through a surgery and the pain of recovery if she'll wind up being pts afterward anyway, or if she'll die under anaesthetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

god op I was hoping it would be positive news for you and your dog :(

Are there any further non invasive stuff they can do ?

I have no idea what to say only do what's in ur heart xx that will be the right thing to do.

Thinking of you and your doggie xx

The bloods showed that her liver enzymes were very slightly elevated. They both x-rayed and did an ultrasound. They'll talk me through the x-rays when I go to pick her up.

As I said I'm wary of putting her through a surgery if there's only a 50/50 chance of it being any use, I don't want her to go through a surgery and the pain of recovery if she'll wind up being pts afterward anyway, or if she'll die under anaesthetic.

any mention of pancreatitis

The vet says there's a 60% chance it's malignant and a 40% chance she won't make it through surgery. If she makes it through and it's malignant she'd only have months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Kylith very sorry to read this :(
    What age is Tegan?

so sorry kylith poor you with such a decision to have to make

• Advertisement

:(
    That's so sad Kylith. Can the discomfort be managed?

Advertisement