Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unwell Dog

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh my goodness, this is heartbreaking. So sad for you both Kylith.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

My thoughts and prayers are with you today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My thoughts are with you today, can't imagine what you're going through right now xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

So sad to read this thread kylith, honestly thought it would have a better outcome. I was in a similar situation a few months ago and it was honestly the toughest decision iv ever made. I took some small bit of comfort knowing that it ended her suffering and she passed away with her head buried in my hands instead of alone and in pain. It's a small thing but it helps.

My thoughts are with you today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Really sad to read this kylith. Like others, I saw the thread the other day and was hoping everything would be alright. :( Poor Tegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Sorry Kylith :(

It's a horrible situation to be in and only you can know what the right decision is. I was in a similar situation a number of years back and we made a decision to go down the PTS route. We had the sedatives ready to give her at home, and the vet called to say he would be in our house two hours after. At the last second, I put my own needs before hers and couldn't do it. She lived for a further six weeks with no quality of life before going herself and I have never forgiven myself for doing that to her. If you do decide to go down the PTS road, don't be hard on yourself - sometimes it's the braver thing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

So so sorry to hear this Kylith, I'm heartbroken for you. We all understand how difficult this is for you. Mind yourself and if you need to chat, we're all here xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks for your kind words everyone. Tegan passed in the vet's at lunchtime. It took longer for the sedative to take effect than it should have because her abdomen was so swollen she couldn't lie down. She went very quickly and with no pain or struggle once the needle was in. We wrapped her in her blanket and have buried her in the back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:(:(:( RIP Tegan. Sorry for your loss kylith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Very sorry to read this kylith.

Take care of yourself at this time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Im really sorry to hear this. Stay well.

So sorry Kylith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Very sorry for your loss Kylith xox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Run free Tegan XX

So sorry for your loss kylith

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

Kylith, I am so, so sorry to hear of your sad loss. I am thinking of you at this time and sending you love and strength to be able to get through this. You definitely made the right decision, but sometimes that hurts more. Hugs xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

kylith wrote: »
    Thanks for your kind words everyone. Tegan passed in the vet's at lunchtime. It took longer for the sedative to take effect than it should have because her abdomen was so swollen she couldn't lie down. She went very quickly and with no pain or struggle once the needle was in. We wrapped her in her blanket and have buried her in the back garden.

God love you Kylith :( You made the right decision for her, as hard as it feels right now. She's no longer in pain or discomfort and you were with her at the end. Take care of yourself and Rani. xx
    RIP Tegan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭jimf

so sorry to hear this kylith

tears here again thinking of the times I too had to make this decision but she is free now and you should feel proud of yourself to have the courage to make this decision and to be there with her at the end when she needed you most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

So very sorry. Heartbreaking having to make the decision, something most of us pet lovers will face at some stage.
    Focus on the good, at least her suffering was short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh no, I'm so very sorry Kylith, so sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

So sorry for your loss Kylith. The hardest part of owning a pet is letting them go. Run free sweet girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm so sorry kylith. Well done for being strong enough to do what was right for her at the end. Take care of yourself x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've a lump in my throat reading your news kylith, it's such a tough choice that can't produce a happy resolution, but I think you picked the best choice for her. I hope you can seek solace from that.
    Good girl Tegan, sleep soundly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Have been following this story and was hoping to hear better news. all I can add to the rest of the comments is Rest in Peace and run free over rainbow bridge xxxxx

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I'm heartbroken to be without the sweetest dog I've ever met. I hate thinking of her in the ground but I have to remember that if Tee is anywhere she's not there. The best thing I can do now is focus on Rani, she needs me to keep it together.

How is Rani managing Kylith?
    I've hesitated to say this, but there are a number of posters here whose pets kinda define them in one way or another... In my world at least.
    When I think of certain posters I actually envisage their dogs :o I know ye won't be offended by that :o When I think of Kylith I see the two little Cairny ladies whose lives we've had glimpses of through kylith's posts for years.
    It really feels like the end of an era that Tegan has passed.
    Hope you're okay as you can be, and that Rani is coping okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Very sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself. Sleep well Tegan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

So so sorry for your loss Kylith.
    Been through the same myself recently, I know how devastated you must feel right now.
    Sleep well Tegan, you sounded like such a special girl.xxxxxx

DBB wrote: »
    How is Rani managing Kylith?
    I've hesitated to say this, but there are a number of posters here whose pets kinda define them in one way or another... In my world at least.
    When I think of certain posters I actually envisage their dogs :o I know ye won't be offended by that :o When I think of Kylith I see the two little Cairny ladies whose lives we've had glimpses of through kylith's posts for years.
    It really feels like the end of an era that Tegan has passed.
    Hope you're okay as you can be, and that Rani is coping okay.

Rani's been curled up next to me all night. I think that getting to see Tegan after I'd brought her home helped her a lot, even though she didn't appear to pay much notice she'll have known it was Tegan and known she was gone. I have a lovely neighbour who will look in on her when she can to make sure she's ok during the day.

It probably helps too that they were never that dependent on each other. They seemed to have avoided the inter-bitch bitchiness that you hear about by sharing their space but never being in each others pockets, so to speak. Due to their crappy starts in life they both just wanted a quiet life so they gave each other companionship without demands.

I'm doing ok. I'm very teary when I think about her and I constantly expect to see her at the top of the kitchen steps, or for her to scratch on the back door to be let back in, or for her to emerge from under the table give a good shake and trot to the water bowl. Twice today I've found myself scooping out food for her. I've spent a while sorting through photos of her and my ex has sent more (I think he's even more cut up than me, but I at least got to say goodbye, and seeing how bad she was last night made letting her go today so much easier). I know a lovely lady on Facebook who does the most amazingly beautiful pet portraits so I'm trying to choose a picture that captures her Teegie-ness to be made into a portrait that I can frame with her collar. It's brought back some lovely, bittersweet, memories.

01980ca08491c8510c7a7f0a4fe1538b69b8a11fb0_zpse6eygqgs.jpg
    01157bb5fc2481091dd02c17560525c345eefe0fc9_zpsnfjtbftg.jpg

And my favourite: Sleepy Tegan

01a198e7e4684f6350767f2d922eaaca6b03e5090d_zpscvdbtfxc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Kylith, when I lost my heart dog, I created a pinterest page, and anything I found on boards/facebook etc. about pet loss that captured how I was feeling, or gave me some comfort, I pinned it. I still do, and I still visit it when I'm feeling grief-stricken. I'm not into cheesy stuff but the things I've found and liked have really helped. You could create your own for Tegan, maybe. There are a couple of verses I always come back to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

Very sorry for your loss Kylith, Rest well Tegan

• Advertisement

After having a good evening last night Rani began to keen during the night; howling on and off from about 2am until about 5am. I went down and distracted her with stuffed Kongs which certainly helps. I'd happily bring her into my room at night but that won't help her during the day. A friend who lives nearby will drop in to her during the day, but can't stay with her and can't take her to her house because Ra and her dog don't get along. I work too early to bring her to 'day care' and even if I could she'd hate to be surrounded by so many strange dogs. I couldn't bring her to work even if they'd let me because it's not a safe site; lots of forklifts going round.

I left her this morning with a treat ball, a stuffed Kong, the radio on for some company, and my near-neighbour calling in around lunch time with another Kong for her. I can't check on her during the day because Skype won't do video over cellular and I have no wifi in work that I could connect to. I don't know what to do for her. I'll look into a treat ball that's a bit more work to keep her occupied longer. I'll try getting up earlier to bring her out for a short walk in the morning to see if that helps.

Poor Rani.
    Our male GSD, Duke, who Henry treated like his baby, was heartbroken after we had Henry put to sleep. For months when we said Henry's name, Duke would set off looking for him.
    It's a hard time for them because they can't talk about how they're feeling, their thoughts are just in their head.
    Duke changed a lot after we had Henry put to sleep, he matured and calmed down a lot, like he became "man of the house".

Poor Rani. As you say, day care doesn't suit her, it might also be a bit overwhelming for her at the moment, until she settles back into life. It's good that you have a friend nearby to check on her. She'll miss her friend, just like you.

Thanks Frigga. As you say, it's so hard because we can't talk to them and they can't talk to us. All she can do is call for Tegan, she hasn't been without her for a night in more than 7 years.

I just feel so helpless because I can't explain to her and I don't know what I can do to help her. I'm trying to keep everything as normal as possible, but being alone obviously isn't normal for her. I'd get another dog as company for her, but I don't know if that would be the right thing to do either, and she's so old and cranky I don't know how she'd take to it.

Does anyone have a Kong Wobbler? How do they find it? The treat ball she keeps her busy, but I'd prefer something she has to work a bit harder at.

Thanks Frigga. As you say, it's so hard because we can't talk to them and they can't talk to us. All she can do is call for Tegan, she hasn't been without her for a night in more than 7 years.

I just feel so helpless because I can't explain to her and I don't know what I can do to help her. I'm trying to keep everything as normal as possible, but being alone obviously isn't normal for her. I'd get another dog as company for her, but I don't know if that would be the right thing to do either, and she's so old and cranky I don't know how she'd take to it.

Does anyone have a Kong Wobbler? How do they find it? The treat ball she keeps her busy, but I'd prefer something she has to work a bit harder at.

It'll be a confusing time for Rani. I'm sure they were great friends. Dogs are resilient though. She still has you and she will sense that you are going through the same emotions as her, that will give her some comfort and she'll probably want to be closer to you because of that.
    Also, there are no rules about bringing in another dog, only you know how Rani will cope and adapt. If you think she would benefit more from having another dog around or not, you know her best. Would you have any friends with dogs who Rani gets on well with who might be able to call around for her to play with?

I have the wobbler, I find it keeps them occupied for longer, they'll all chase it around the kitchen. I just put the dry food I give to the GSDs into it and take that away from their bowl when I'm feeding them.

The wobblers are pretty big, maybe 8 inches high and substantially built, and made of hard plastic which makes a bit of noise and can't be picked up by anything other than a big dog. They take a fair bit of confidence and initiative for the dog to learn what they do, I find. So if you've a dog who's not inclined to really go at every toy they see, the Wobbler isn't an easy toy. So it depends on Rani... If she's food mad and loves to launch herself on new toys, it could be just the ticket.

If it's quite big it'd probably be too big for her. She's food mad, but not particularly interested in toys. I might give her a Kong and a treat ball in the morning and see if I can rig something to drop another treat ball in the afternoon.

I'll have a look around pet shops and see what I can find. I really like the Fish For Dogs square sea jerky, it's good for her to get the fish oils and they're just the right shape that I can cram one in the kong and it's not easy to get out. She loves the Lidl treat ball but I think it'd be good to have something she has to work a bit harder at, but not so difficult that she gives up on it, so she's kept stimulated and distracted during the day. I'm looking at a proper web cam too so I can keep an eye on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Kylith I am so sorry to hear about Tegan. I was following the post but with no advice to give I stayed quiet. I honestly think you are so brave and strong for being able to do the right thing for your girl and I hope you take some comfort in that. RIP wee Tegan.

just read this thread this morning.
    Sorry you just lost your lovely dog Kyleith.... it must be so sad.

I have a 12 year old recsue dog..... a collie/lurcher mix who is fit and healthy but I know I will probably have to face similar over the next few years. She is getting much slower and stiffer and someday I will probably wake up to a similar situation as you did.

She has been with me through thick and thin. I got her after one of my daughters died. She was a comfort for my other 2 girls to cuddle when they were sad. Now those 2 girls have both emigrated. I moved house 4 times, moving to different counties, and back. She came too! I am now divorced - so everyone is gone but the dog is still here!! and 2 cats, (plus 2 new strays!)

She is my constant companion and is always there wagging her tail when I get in from work. She gets her 2 walks a day on the beach, in fields, and sleeps some nights on my bed.

But I know that day will come and I will just have to deal with it and put it in perspective in the bigger picture of life. Dogs are beautiful, loyal, our best friends. Thankfully we have the comfort of being able to replace them with another needy little soul that has been abandoned and that helps when they die. Unfortunately we cant do that with people.

I wouldn't replace your little dog too soon - take time to say goodbye in your heart. You will have so many memories - all good. Take care :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If it's quite big it'd probably be too big for her. She's food mad, but not particularly interested in toys. I might give her a Kong and a treat ball in the morning and see if I can rig something to drop another treat ball in the afternoon.

I'll have a look around pet shops and see what I can find. I really like the Fish For Dogs square sea jerky, it's good for her to get the fish oils and they're just the right shape that I can cram one in the kong and it's not easy to get out. She loves the Lidl treat ball but I think it'd be good to have something she has to work a bit harder at, but not so difficult that she gives up on it, so she's kept stimulated and distracted during the day. I'm looking at a proper web cam too so I can keep an eye on her.

I had the wobbler...and gave it away because it was so noisy going across the wooden floors and into the skirting :o Premier linkables are quite good if the dog isn't a chewer - you can put them together in different shapes and when you connect them there's 2 ridges to make it easier/harder for them to come apart. Even when they do eventually get them apart each one is separate treat dispenser so still lots of work.

Post op Bailey with his shaved bum playing with his a few years ago

• Advertisement

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    Kylith I am so sorry to hear about Tegan. I was following the post but with no advice to give I stayed quiet. I honestly think you are so brave and strong for being able to do the right thing for your girl and I hope you take some comfort in that. RIP wee Tegan.
    What a coincidence! Her name was actually Tootsie when she came to me!

There were a couple of thoughts that helped me come to the decision I did - one was the advice that it's better to go a day too early than a day too late. The other was that, for her, the consequences of me deciding to put her to sleep and being wrong were better than the consequences of me putting her through surgery and being wrong. All the time I expected the vet to say they'd found that she'd swallowed something she shouldn't have and, if that were the case, it would have been surgery without a moment's hesitation, but the idea of putting her through a surgery and giving her only a few months more (and a lot of that spent recovering from surgery) was too much.

It really helps having her in the back garden. I said goodnight to her last night and good morning to her this morning and in a little while I'll put up a memorial stone and plant something over her.
    just read this thread this morning.
    Sorry you just lost your lovely dog Kyleith.... it must be so sad.

I have a 12 year old recsue dog..... a collie/lurcher mix who is fit and healthy but I know I will probably have to face similar over the next few years. She is getting much slower and stiffer and someday I will probably wake up to a similar situation as you did.

She has been with me through thick and thin. I got her after one of my daughters died. She was a comfort for my other 2 girls to cuddle when they were sad. Now those 2 girls have both emigrated. I moved house 4 times, moving to different counties, and back. She came too! I am now divorced - so everyone is gone but the dog is still here!! and 2 cats, (plus 2 new strays!)

She is my constant companion and is always there wagging her tail when I get in from work. She gets her 2 walks a day on the beach, in fields, and sleeps some nights on my bed.

But I know that day will come and I will just have to deal with it and put it in perspective in the bigger picture of life. Dogs are beautiful, loyal, our best friends. Thankfully we have the comfort of being able to replace them with another needy little soul that has been abandoned and that helps when they die. Unfortunately we cant do that with people.

I wouldn't replace your little dog too soon - take time to say goodbye in your heart. You will have so many memories - all good. Take care :-)
    That's why dogs are so great; they're always there for you and ready to go for a walk, or just to chill out on the sofa. They don't care if you eat an entire easter egg on the sofa while watching Masterchef in your pyjamas; they still think you're the best person in the world.

It's so hard to see them age, but that way you can prepare yourself a little. Rani is about 15 now and every time she gets a sniffle I prepare myself for the worst. It'll be hard when she goes, but at least I'll have gotten the chance to prepare. With Tegan it was so sudden. I suppose in a way that was good too, she didn't suffer a long illness; these tumours grow quickly and, I hope, she wasn't in much pain or for long. But it was hard on me to see her go from menacing Yorkies who looked at her funny to so weak in only two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

I'm so sorry for your loss, Tegan Will always be with you and Rani.
    Its one of the hardest things to go through I know, thinking of you, stay strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

What a coincidence! Her name was actually Tootsie when she came to me!

There were a couple of thoughts that helped me come to the decision I did - one was the advice that it's better to go a day too early than a day too late. The other was that, for her, the consequences of me deciding to put her to sleep and being wrong were better than the consequences of me putting her through surgery and being wrong. All the time I expected the vet to say they'd found that she'd swallowed something she shouldn't have and, if that were the case, it would have been surgery without a moment's hesitation, but the idea of putting her through a surgery and giving her only a few months more (and a lot of that spent recovering from surgery) was too much.

That is an amazing way to look at it. I hope when the time comes I am be as selfless as you were and 100% do what is best for the dog rather than thinking of how hard it will be to miss them and say goodbye.

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    That is an amazing way to look at it. I hope when the time comes I am be as selfless as you were and 100% do what is best for the dog rather than thinking of how hard it will be to miss them and say goodbye.

Oh the temptation to be selfish was very strong, believe me. I wanted to keep my Teegee for as long as I could, but you can't be like that. Dogs trust us to do what's best for them and to look after them. The odds just weren't good enough for me to risk it. Like I said; if she spent her last morning alone and afraid in a cage in a vet's office and I couldn't be with her at the end, or she couldn't know that I was with her at the end I wouldn't be able to stand it.

She came to me for help when she had something caught in her teeth, she came to me for help when she got tangled in her lead, and she came to me for help when she got sick. It wasn't about what I wanted, it was about what was best for her. It has to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Oh the temptation to be selfish was very strong, believe me. I wanted to keep my Teegee for as long as I could, but you can't be like that. Dogs trust us to do what's best for them and to look after them. The odds just weren't good enough for me to risk it. Like I said; if she spent her last morning alone and afraid in a cage in a vet's office and I couldn't be with her at the end, or she couldn't know that I was with her at the end I wouldn't be able to stand it.

She came to me for help when she had something caught in her teeth, she came to me for help when she got tangled in her lead, and she came to me for help when she got sick. It wasn't about what I wanted, it was about what was best for her. It has to be.

Oh my gosh, in tears at your last post. As it was so like my old pup Tina she was 13 and like Tegan went down hill in days, but if she had a problem such as her fave toy had rolled under the couch or her chew bone was out of reach, or the birds had flown out the garden, ( which she seemed to think I could control !) She would come and look up at me or keep pawing my arm till she got my attention then show me what the problem was. It's those little things about them that plant them firmly in our hearts and memory.
    Its to early yet but they do have some lovely memorial head stones in some garden centres, but I just got a tree similar to her fave one in the park, to keep growing and always be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

So very sorry for your loss, Kylith, it is heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet, stay strong. Sleep well, Tegan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

I'm really sorry to hijack this thread. My lovely giant schnauzer jack has just been diagnosed with multiple tumours in his chest cavity.

The vet just said it could be a week or a month. He said he's not in pain. How in gods name can I let him go... I love him so much. I have two other younger dogs but this old man owns my heart.

smilerxxx wrote: »
    I'm really sorry to hijack this thread. My lovely giant schnauzer jack has just been diagnosed with multiple tumours in his chest cavity.

The vet just said it could be a week or a month. He said he's not in pain. How in gods name can I let him go... I love him so much. I have two other younger dogs but this old man owns my heart.

How is he in himself? Is he still interested in going for walks and eating and drinking? That was the main thing for me. I would keep going, as long as he's in no pain, for as long as he has a decent quality of life. You'll know by his eyes when he's ready to go. Don't be afraid to be emotional in the vet's, they understand. My vet said that it's the people who don't want to let them go who care, and he's right.

My heart is breaking for you.

When we lost Rusty almost a year ago now, we buried him in a corner of the garden and made a little memorial garden for him. I planted wild flowers and placed a solar light and a little butterfly that flaps in the wind.
    Every evening I look out and see the light and say goodnight to him. He was my soul dog and I miss him so much. It's not as painful now, but I still think of him every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

He is tired and not lively. But he is drinking lots. He was never a bowl pusher (ya know the little fellas who eat all around them) he always only ate enough. His weight has gone from 45kgs to 39kgs. The vet said we can assess again in a week but his heart is strong.

He says he believes he is not in pain. I don't think he is either. But its his breathing that is bad. He sounds like he has copd. I will do everything I can for him.

Im crying as I write this. My old buddy must not suffer. Thank you so much for your kind words. Not a lot of people understand.

smilerxxx wrote: »
    He is tired and not lively. But he is drinking lots. He was never a bowl pusher (ya know the little fellas who eat all around them) he always only ate enough. His weight has gone from 45kgs to 39kgs. The vet said we can assess again in a week but his heart is strong.

He says he believes he is not in pain. I don't think he is either. But its his breathing that is bad. He sounds like he has copd. I will do everything I can for him.

Im crying as I write this. My old buddy must not suffer. Thank you so much for your kind words. Not a lot of people understand.

We understand, don't worry. You'll know when he's ready to go by his eyes. It was like Tegan was looking straight through me, there was no light in there any more.

And don't worry, I've been in tears for the last few days. Everyone's been so kind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement