Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Troubles Please Help!!

Options
  • 13-04-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I got a mortgage and built a house 8 years ago and started renting it out. Thinking this was a great idea, I got another mortgage and started building another house. Then the crash happened and I lost my job before I could finish the second house.

As I have my first house rented, that has always covered the mortgage on it.

But since I couldn't finish the second house and rent it out, I fell behind on my mortgage on that 3 years ago.

The bank are threatening to take the partly built house off of me.

If they take it off me is there any way they can take my first house that my mortgage is up to date on?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some questions:

Are the 2 mortgages with the same bank?
    Are you working again?

I would say the bank wouldn't really want a partially built house to be honest.

As in all these types of cases, you should chat to MABS or the Citizens Advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jimmyjumpup

Niman,

Initially they were with different banks but they have ended up both being with Ulster Bank. Ulster Bank took over the mortgage from the other bank when they went bust a few years back. Can they make me sell my 1st house with the good mortgage or will they take the unfinished house, sell it and write off the rest.

I moved to UK recently but living here is quiet expensive. It's 10 times better than being unemployed but I wouldn't be able to start paying that mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be honest I wouldn't know the legalities of it all, you'd be better speaking to a financial advisor or MABS.

It wouldn't look good for you later if you just stop paying the mortgage, probably best to make contact with bank and offer to pay something, no matter how small, at least that way you can say you tried.

Advertisement