Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on this telescope please

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Opinions on it seem to be quite negative

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/216560-zennox-refractor-telescope-50x600mm-any-good/

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/79221-is-my-telescope-any-good/

I think you would be better off spending the money on binoculars or upping your budget to get a better telescope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

No, save you money for something decent, I wouldn't go next nor near it.

Reduced from €343.00, :eek: my eye!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sshort

Save your money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

A junkscope!!

Join an astronomy club first, go on one of their observing evenings and look through the scopes that are on offer. Then when you know what you want and can afford go save the money to get one.

Best of luck

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

What everyone said above.

For €343 you'd get a real good second hand 6 inch Dob (with eyepieces). That would be 4 times the light collecting power of the 76mm Zennox mentioned here.

Seanie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Load of rubbish. You could get this 8 inch Dobsonian for £278 (€380). Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@ OP

In order to save your cash and frustration, like I did myself...

Highly recommended...buy it second hand from a seller that is upgrading or it had kept it in the box for the past number of years.
    When you buy it from somebody that knows what's he talking, you may have the chance to sit down with him and get some basic training on how to use it.

Also, prepare yourself to "corrupt" somebody to keep you company in the long & cold "white nights" and make sure you will have "somebody" to give you a nice hot cuppa of tea while you are in the middle of nowhere, away from city lights... waiting for the clear skies.

My last as a beginner' advise...to get a nice setup prepare to spend around €2,000.
    I recommend getting a nice at least 8" scope.Get with a proper mount as well. GoToX system is best for beginners or until you get the hang of it.
    If possible, it may come with lens and filters. Next, save on lens as you will need it.
    And ... get a nice DSLR and get in to astrophotography ...that will be the end of it... :)

Not lastly...while you save the cash...
    -get all the books that you can read about astro.
    -search online what other people are doing with their systems.
    -spend a huge amount of time on YouTube...is a very rich source of various people experience, exposure, expertise, reviews
    -join a local astronomy club and get outside, share / steal their passion and knowledge
    -get close to a person and ask if possible to come more often and / or to his gaf for long nights observation and well, you remember...that nice cup of tea !

Have lots of fun...

PS
    If you around the D15 area,i can invite to that cuppa of tea if I could get my setup done properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^

:eek:

Au contraire! Start with Eyeball MK I. Get to know your way around. Learn the broad strokes of the sky. Identify the obvious naked eye objects. By any half decent sky atlas.

When you've exhausted the possibility of the eyeball, progress to a decent set of 10x50 binos. Look for star clusters, features of the moon etc.

Then think about a scope. 2K is a bit rich for a first one!

In short, work your way in. Learn the context of the night sky. Its not hard, but it is very rewarding. Join a club or meetup group. Check out the scopes more experienced people will be only too happy to show you. Figure out what you need for what you are interesting in looking at.

DSLR? Starting out?!? Jebus!

:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

rolion wrote: »
    @ OP

My last as a beginner' advise...to get a nice setup prepare to spend around €2,000.

I recommend getting a nice at least 8" scope.Get with a proper mount as well. GoToX system is best for beginners or until you get the hang of it.

And ... get a nice DSLR and get in to astrophotography ...that will be the end of it... :)

You can get a 10 inch dobsonian for a third of that. Much easier to use than an equatorial mount. Just point and go. Much more bang for the buck.

You will learn a lot more about the night sky without a GoTo system. Finding what you're looking for is half the fun.

I wouldn't touch astrophotgraphy without having good deal of experience and money.

Guys...don't throw the stars in to my yard please... :)

My setup planned for the next 3-6 months, i could be wrong but once you buy something you cannot really "upgrade" so easy.
    You will need accessories as well, not only a good scope, i guess !?

Also, i'm too too poor to buy twice !

-Books, books and again books...
    -A good 8" scope, at least 8,i would have loved a 10" but no budget.
    -A very good, sturdy heavy mount kit. Not really interested in to be portable as I have a big car.
    -Lots of good quality lenses and filters. Starting from 1x to 3x.Filters as well, for most of the colours, waves length and so on. There is a good kit at around €200ish.
    -Portable battery / batteries charger start-up for the long nice chilly nights...oah looking forward ,Kerry / Dingle waiting for me, along with my lovely tent.
    -A nice "camera" / "videocamera" for the scope that will give you possibilities to do without being worried that you need to upgrade or limit yourselves to something basic.Could be DSLR,CCD or a basic webcam.
    -Laptop and associated power bank for control, research, saving and live view of "the magic of the sky"
    -Hmm, optional the wifi link and/or automated tracking and positioning of the telescope. I prefer to click something and get to that star rather than spending time finding it. Here, i hove to be honest, my kids will not have the patience to wait, i prefer to gotoX even if I feel inside me is wrong: I should search and know the stellar database as I know my estate'roads. But, once the seed is planted inside my kids curiosity, then I will "break" to gotoX and let them have fun searching manually and on the map...

Thanks for reading...does that makes sense !?

• Advertisement

Thanks for reading...does that makes sense !?
    No! Not a bit!

endacl wrote: »
    No! Not a bit!

Why !?

Why !?
    You're spending a lot of cash on equipment you more than likely simply do not need.

endacl wrote: »
    You're spending a lot of cash on equipment you more than likely simply do not need.

Dunno...can you feel happy to share what I should drop or replace please !?

Thanks and I hope I haven't offended anyone here...complete novice / beginner !

TBH, I'd drop it all until I was sure what most interested me. That Dob would be great for deep sky objects. Not so much if you found you really enjoyed exploring lunar features. Also, if astrophotography is your thing, a refractor would be much more suitable, especially in a beginner set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Load of rubbish. You could get this 8 inch Dobsonian for £278 (€380). Link

Or €389 delivered, from an Irish company if you know where to look!

Kersh wrote: »
    Or €389 delivered, from an Irish company if you know where to look!
    *Ahem*

If I may? ;)

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I applaud your enthusiasm anyway... looks like you're learning to fly before you can walk :p

I applaud your enthusiasm anyway... looks like you're learning to fly before you can walk :p

Thanks for feedback,appreciated !

I trust your knowledgeable experience, so my working principle is that i'm too poor to buy twice.

I mean, according to some advisers here, with more more deeper experience than me is to buy a smaller one, lets say €400-€500 cost price,play with it, get used to the stars, polar mount, setup, moon phases and so on.
    Then...dump it or sell it at a lost few months / years... to buy a bigger one at around €1500 !?
    No offence, just trying to get the exact things in my mind as for me is too late, i'm already flying ...

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

My advice is to get a pair of quality binoculars and see if your interest is maintained, before shelling out on an expensive telescope which may end up gathering dust, but everyone to their own I suppose :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement