Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMIT exams

Options
  • 13-04-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Can anybody tell me what the story is with the summer exams in the racecourse as I am a first year student.

Here's a few things I would like answered: how do you get from gmit to the racecourse apart from the bus provided by the college? How many students can go on the bus provided by the college? How long does it take to get to the racecourse? I know you are not allowed to bring phones into the exam hall but is there a place to leave bags and phones outside the hall?

Please let me know of anything else I may need to know before the exams.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

1) https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/GMIT,+Dublin+Road,+Galway,+Ireland/53.2998822,-8.9983111/@53.2921539,-9.0020438,15z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!1m1!1s0x485b9132cb2e133f:0x5a81260c20e02143!2m2!1d-9.010464!2d53.278671!3m4!1m2!1d-8.9861111!2d53.2972395!3s0x485b9169c157ff5f:0xf7797dc3af1b6cc3!1m0!3e2

2) I've never went on the bus but I'd say it's first come first served, I think they use a 50 seater.
    3) If you're walking from GMIT, it'd take a good 45 minutes. I'm in Cuirt na Rasai, takes me about 20 minutes to walk it.
    4) There's areas to leave your bag. You can chance leaving your phone in the bag, but at risk of it breaking or getting it stolen, you'd be better off just leaving it at home.
    5) Just make sure you've got your student I.D card, and arrive at least 10 minutes beforehand to get yourself organised.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Just get the 409 and get off at the back of the Racecourse, its the next stop after Dunnes Briarhill, plenty of others will be getting the bus from outside the front of GMIT. The student union bus is a joke, first come first served, and it doesnt return to collect those left behind, then everyone left has to get the 409, the gmit bus also doesnt leave the racecourse until about an hour after the 2 hour exams. I bring my phone into exams as im not leaving it downstairs, its always turned off and not visible so no issue, if its seen youll be fined €50 and will have to collect it back in college if i remember from someone it happened to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Everything said so far is spot on. Don't rely on the SU bus. It's terribly run. I bring my phone in with me always. Invigilators won't be able to associate your bag with your face sadly but I've also never heard of anybody getting robbed. Just hide it well in your pocket.

If you want to cram last minute get there early because tables are gone well in advance. Usually an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Laura75

Does each course have an area where the students are supposed to sit or can we sit anywhere on the level the exam is on?
    Thanks

There are a set of numbered seats particular to each course, you will see the list as after you enter the racecourse and again when entering the exam hall/level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

What time does the racecourse open in the mornings does anybody know?

What time does the racecourse open in the mornings does anybody know?

In and around 8,I know ive been in there around 8:15 before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

In and around 8,I know ive been in there around 8:15 before.

Thanks

Are you allowed to bring in study notes into the main hall to do some study before the exam and then leave them back out in your car before the exam starts or is it once your in the hall you are only allowed bring whats required for the exam ?

Thanks

Are you allowed to bring in study notes into the main hall to do some study before the exam and then leave them back out in your car before the exam starts or is it once your in the hall you are only allowed bring whats required for the exam ?

You can bring whatever you want into the ground floor area and find a seat or space to study.bags can be left in areas designated for each floor or just out to the car like you said.

Advertisement