Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark circles on geranium leaves

• 13-04-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm back from a few days away to find my newly planted geraniums looking poorly, and with strange dark circles in the leaves (see pics). Any ideas what's up? I was wondering if maybe there was a frost while I was away...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Those are pretty normal on many pelargonium/geranium types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

tmq wrote: »
    I'm back from a few days away to find my newly planted geraniums looking poorly, and with strange dark circles in the leaves (see pics). Any ideas what's up? I was wondering if maybe there was a frost while I was away...

No need to worry.

That's just the normal leaf colour of many geraniums, especially darker flowered ones. As the leaves harden off the markings become more noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Those are in fact called "Zonal Pelargoniums" for that very reason. (Coloured zones on the leaves)

The traditional name of Geranium is still used for these: but properly speaking, they are not in the Geranium family and Pelargoniums is a more accurate name.
    They don't care for frost though they often survive it: and they love bright sunshine and handle drought exceptionally well!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

i've recently moved from Melbourne, and I had a geranium for years there that was indistructable. I'm not sure if it was a pelargonium or an actual geranium, as no amount of heat, frost or neglect could kill it, and there was plenty of all three!

Thanks for the replies... they're noticeably poorer since I planted them, so hopefully they recover in the warmer weather this week.

Advertisement