Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Apple TV feedback

• 13-04-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm Reasonably tech savvy however need some direction.
    At present, I have an iPhone and an iPad. Have a laptop top and a TV.
    I'm thinking of getting rid of my Sky TV as I just don't watch that much by way of normal TV. I watch either box sets or movies that I've downloaded using the laptop. Put movies on removable hard drive and plug into TV.
    I watch YouTube on the iPad and sometimes the rte player. I also sometimes watch sports using a sports site that I pay about a tenner a month for.

I'm thinking of getting Apple tv and want to know if it will allow me to:
    - See on the TV exactly what I see in my iPad or iPhone? i.e. Apps, games, music, videos
    - If I'm looking at sports on the website on my iPad, can I see the same thing on TV?
    - In the absence of sky (assuming I get rid altogether), can you get terrestrial channels thro Apple tv?

Lastly, I also have a playstation 3 that hardly gets used and I've never really explored it's options. A bit off topic, can this be used in conjunction with? Again, off topic and not really Apple related.

My consideration is; get rid of sky and replace it with Apple tv (not that I epxect to have numerous channels I might add as they don't get watched!).

All advice and suggestions most welcome.
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm Reasonably tech savvy however need some direction.
    At present, I have an iPhone and an iPad. Have a laptop top and a TV.
    I'm thinking of getting rid of my Sky TV as I just don't watch that much by way of normal TV. I watch either box sets or movies that I've downloaded using the laptop. Put movies on removable hard drive and plug into TV.
    I watch YouTube on the iPad and sometimes the rte player. I also sometimes watch sports using a sports site that I pay about a tenner a month for.

I'm thinking of getting Apple tv and want to know if it will allow me to:
    - See on the TV exactly what I see in my iPad or iPhone? i.e. Apps, games, music, videos
    - If I'm looking at sports on the website on my iPad, can I see the same thing on TV?
    - In the absence of sky (assuming I get rid altogether), can you get terrestrial channels thro Apple tv?

Lastly, I also have a playstation 3 that hardly gets used and I've never really explored it's options. A bit off topic, can this be used in conjunction with? Again, off topic and not really Apple related.

My consideration is; get rid of sky and replace it with Apple tv (not that I epxect to have numerous channels I might add as they don't get watched!).

All advice and suggestions most welcome.
    Thanks guys

Keep your sky box and use it for free to air because this isn't a role that the Apple TV is going to cover. There is a new one on the way, so I'd wait for that. Hopefully with a much improved interface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

There is a new one on the way, so I'd wait for that. Hopefully with a much improved interface.

How do you know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭OU812

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    How do you know this?

It's been widely rumoured since they slashed the price of the ATV3. Expect an announcement at WWDC in June.

If you import your movies/TV into iTunes, an apple tv is great, if you have several, you can pause it in one location & resume in another (say going to bed).

The only draw back is you have to leave the computer running iTunes on all the time.

If you use an app like iflicks topmost downloads, it'll pull in all the artwork & meta data.

The interface is very clunky, but there's not a whole lot can be done with that. I wish they'd buy out plex & use that for the UI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

How do you know this?

Its so long since the last upgrade and all the other manufactures have released better alternatives Apple are bound to have something new soon. Examples are Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast and Android TV and that new chrome stick Google announced a few weeks ago.
    I'd say it will have a new interface, siri voice commands, have homeKit built in allowing you to control lights etc. allow toy to control it with the apple watch, etc. Might see something at the apple conference which is very soon although o thought they would release something before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I've said this before in another thread. Create a UK iTunes account and log into this account on your Apple TV. This will show up the NOW TV app from Sky. Use your existing Sky ID to create account on the NOW TV service and pay £7 per month and you have access to all of the Sky boxsets as well as Sky1 and some other channels. You could also add a movies subscription and even dip in and out of Sports as you see fit.

With a Netflix subscription and this, as well as Saorview and your Sky box as a FTA satellite receiver, you are sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

OU812 wrote: »
    It's been widely rumoured since they slashed the price of the ATV3. Expect an announcement at WWDC in June.
    Dudda wrote: »
    Its so long since the last upgrade and all the other manufactures have released better alternatives Apple are bound to have something new soon.

People say this every WWDC or other Apple announcement and the only update since 2010 has been the step up to 1080p.

So basically you don't know and have nothing to support the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

People say this every WWDC or other Apple announcement and the only update since 2010 has been the step up to 1080p.

Who says? Maybe you're getting confused with idiots like Gene Munster and his constant prediction of an actual tv. Anyone who has been following Apple for any length of time points and laughs. This is the first time in ages I've seen credible sources say it's coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I think this rumour has some legs though. Apple TV is rapidly falling behind in terms of content that the android boxes have. Also, Tim Cook said at the last event in regards to the HBO deal that they did that "its only the beginning". So I'm 80% certain that a big refresh for Apple TV is in the works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

Gruber thinks a new AppleTV may finally be on the cards at this year's WWDC:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2015/04/14/wwdc-2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Dont want to start a new thread for this so might jump in here. my apple TV has just stopped working, no matter what I do I cant connect to anything. Anybody any ideas?????? Driving me bonkers..

• Advertisement
Advertisement