Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charter Airlines

• 13-04-2015 10:17pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm looking at flying to Greece this September with Thompson. I don't really like flying and the furthest I've flown is to Lanzarote.

With it being a longer flight and a charter, I wonder is it wise? More uncomfortable and not sure I'd be comfortable?

Appreciate your honest opinions!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

I've taken similar charters, and depending on the plane itself they can be relatively OK comfort-wise.

I don't know Thompson, but some charters also offer Premium Economy upgrades as chargeable add-ons to the booking. In those cases you'd often get more leg-room or a slightly better chair, making for a more comfortable flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Thomson have a lot more leg-room on their 787s than the rest of the fleet ( 33" pitch ) but that's mainly to compensate for the narrow Dreamliner seats.

Their 737s and 757s are much tighter in pitch, 28" I think. And the seats are only a smidge wider than the 787.

The 767s are abysmal; eight-abreast in a seven-abreast fuselage. Avoid!

If it's out of Dublin it'll be a 737-800 and most likely Sunwing flying for Thomson Airways. Seating will be tight enough most airlines are 30-31 inches apart 28in will be tight.

The flight is only a small portion of the holiday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Any TOM 738s that I've been on had 32 rows of seats ( same as Ryanair one row less than Ryanair - it would seem ) however the leg room seems better than Ryanair due to the design of the seats probably because there are fewer rows to fit in ;).

Will the flying time be much longer than to Lanzarote ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

0lddog wrote: »
    Will the flying time be much longer than to Lanzarote ?

I wouldn't think so, 15 minutes maybe

• Advertisement

Should be similar but depends on where you are going in Greece Iraklion is about 70nms further than Lanzarote for example but might be same time length due to tailwinds it could be longer flying back due to headwinds.

Sunwings seat pitch is 29ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

billie1b wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so, 15 minutes maybe

Thats what I was thinking too.

( 'Suppose chances of ATC delays across Europe are greater than when going down to ACE)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Seats and comfort on Thomson are much the same as short haul Aer Lingus and Ryanair and flying time similar to the canaries more or less, Thomson are a good airline

Advertisement