Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Insurance

Options
  • 13-04-2015 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

Got an iPhone 6 on a 2 year contract in October, signed up for insurance €13.99 a month direct debit which cleared the first six months without issue. Phone got damaged there last week and I submitted a claim, just realised that due to bad cash management there was nothing in my account and AIB bounced the direct debit for April. Does this mean I have zero cover or do I still have some sort of cover? Like do the insurance company have to accept late payment for April and accept the claim or am I at their mercy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

This is more suited to Banking & Insurance & Pensions. Moved.
    What does your policy T&C say about missed payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

slimjimmc wrote: »
    This is more suited to Banking & Insurance & Pensions. Moved.
    What does your policy T&C say about missed payments?

I don't have the legal documentation to hand but I will in the morning. On the website there's a vague answer to a FAQ about what to do if you miss a payment and the answer is "Contact us immediately so that we can reinstate your policy and ensure that your handset remains on cover otherwise you may find we will not consider any claims during this period."

But I've already submitted a claim for that period before I realised it had went unpaid. I've a strong feeling I'm not going to be covered and it's soul destroying because it cleared every other month and I actually lodged the money when I seen my account was €13.99 overdrawn but obviously not quickly enough and AIB unpaid the DD. It's not AIB's fault nor is it the insurance companies but this is going to cost me €600 that I haven't really got to throw away and I don't feel it's my fault to that degree either.

All of the sadfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Generally speaking, missing a payment does not automatically cancel your insurance. It gives your insurer the right to invoke the cancellation clause in the policy, following a defined procedure. If they haven't done that, you should be OK but will obviously have to pay the arrears

Advertisement