Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to but Acoustic Treament for a Studio

Options
  • 14-04-2015 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Where to buy Acoustic Treament for a Studio

Hi i am in the middle of doing up my studio and i want to treat it with Rockwool, i can get rolls of Rockwool the soft stuff you put in walls but i am after the rigid board the hard stuff, does anyone know where i can buy this in Ireland or better still Wexford.

I am also on the look out for basstraps for the corners, i can get them in the UK no problem but P&P in very expensive

Is there a company in Ireland that deals with acoustic treatment, or do you know of a company where i could order some, i am on a very tight budget so am looking for the best deal or cheapest way out of it, but still does the job.

Thanks

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Jay,

What you need is Flexi slabs of RW3. Most hardware will carry the flexislab in various sizes. Build4Less have very good pricing and deliver to your door. You can build your own broadband trapping from this and your corner superchunks.

Most rooms need tuned trapping in the lower register. Have you measurements for your room?

Best
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Jay Hatchell

peter05 wrote: »
    Jay,

What you need is Flexi slabs of RW3. Most hardware will carry the flexislab in various sizes. Build4Less have very good pricing and deliver to your door. You can build your own broadband trapping from this and your corner superchunks.

Most rooms need tuned trapping in the lower register. Have you measurements for your room?

Best
    Peter

Its a very small room with a low ceiling which i know is bad but it will have to do me for the next few years its 8 1/2 w x 6 1/2 h x 14 long i havnt done a test with a mic in the room yet i am just about finished all the building work so i will do that then and post back asap

Thanks

Jay, i will check out that site too

Not ideal measurements but might be workable. Nearly the whole room needs to be treated. Tuned trapping to 160/180hz. Considering your height and width are under the 10ft/3m for diffusion to work proper, you wont need to worry about it. Major worry is your height.

Get in touch with Paul at Genius move audio. He does post here from time to time.

https://www.facebook.com/GeniusMoveAudio?ref=ts&fref=ts

Not ideal measurements but might be workable. Nearly the whole room needs to be treated. Tuned trapping to 160/180hz. Considering your height and width are under the 10ft/3m for diffusion to work proper, you wont need to worry about it. Major worry is your height.

Get in touch with Paul at Genius move audio. He does post here from time to time.

https://www.facebook.com/GeniusMoveAudio?ref=ts&fref=ts

Hi thanks for your reply,

I have completly gutted the whole place and am ready to start over again as you can see in this video

So my question is now how much treatment will this room need before it sounds good.

My plan is to have a plywood door that opens in ways to level up that wall and also make a panel that sits in the window

I was also thinking of making a plywood rolling door to square up the corner where i have my records stored.

Along that wall where my records are i will have a 6 foot bench for my turntables and mixer, suspended off the wall, then i am going to build a bench right across wall to wall for my studio bench leaving at 2 foot gap behind it for my speakers right up the front staring where the door frame is,

Should i block out the back of the bench with a sheet of plywood or leave it open ?

So what i think im looking at is

4 Corners - Floor to Ceiling Basstraps (homemade SuperChunks
    out of RW3)
    My Refelection points
    Over my head and maybe another one futher back
    Right infront of me i will have a 32" TV as my main monitor, how would i go about treating that wall ?
    Behind me a pritty big broadband trap

I still havent decided on which monitors would suit my room best the Focal Alpha 65s seem like the best choice as far as i have read, but they only have a 6.5 inch cone and am thinking would i be better off just going with a 8" or will they just be too big for my room and to be sitting pritty close to them aswell.

Thanks

Jay

We are dealing with imperial numbers here so.

Total surface area = 530 ft^2
    Surface area to treat = 251 Sabins (1ftx1ftx1ft)

Just under half the room needs to be treated.

- Room Modes dominate: 40hz to 157hz
    this is your number 1 worry.

Leave the back of the bench open. Also no need for roller door

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply, would u have any idea how much RW3 i would need, and how much roughly it's going to cost me

These are the mesurements of my room (not including the odd corner), its 101" wide at the back (where my speakers will be going) and 94" wide in the front, then its 78" 1/2 high at the back and 79" 1/2 at the front and 170" long to be precise

I will leave the middle of the bench open as its going wall to wall so ill need to get under it every now and again, but left and right of it will need to be covered due to needing some storage spaces for various things

Thanks

Jay

These are the proper mesurements of my room (not including the odd corner), its 101" wide at the back (where my speakers will be going) and 94" wide in the front, then its 78" 1/2 high at the back and 79" 1/2 at the front and 170" long to be precise

Would i still be dealing with imperial numbers with them mesurements ?

Thanks

Jay

No they will be metric. Doesn't matter if your calling them imperial or metric as the measurements are the same.
    The thing is your room is not right for using for a listening or recording envoirment.

Yes you can treat the room but to obtain some control of your low end you need to achieve 250 odd Sabin's that is 250 odd cubic feet out of your total volume of 500 cubic feet. Going on your measurements you will still not have a flat low end at 250 Sabin's. Does not make sense to for you to use this room.

You need to have a chat with Paul in the link above or some acousticians.

Advertisement