Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comment On My Build

Options
  • 14-04-2015 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hey folks, still tweaking and changing my '1st build in a long time'

1x Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box [BX80646I54460]
    2x HyperX FURY Series 8GB DDR3 1866MHz CL10 [HX318C10F/8]
    1x MSI H97M-G43 Intel LGA1150 H97 [7924-002R]
    1x Seagate ST1000DX001 3.5 inch 1TB Hybrid Internal Solid State Drive [ST1000DX001]
    1x Zalman T3 Mini M-ATX/M-ITX Tower Case [ZM-T3]
    1x Corsair Builder Series CX430 - power supply - 430 Watt [CP-9020046-EU]

Total €536.30 after geizhals.de but before shipping of €11.99

Main use will be for running visual studio & sql server (evening time research for work)
    No gaming in normal circumstances
    Currently getting by on a rapidly aging Core 2 Duo Setup

all comments welcome, especially around MOBO and PSU!

Cheers
    Whitey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dazza216

Build looks fine! Similar to what I have exept mine MOBO is a generation older than yours. I'd recommend getting a better PSU. Corsair is fine, but are known to use cheap-ish components in their budget PSUs. I'd recommend getting something from XFX or seasonic, two of the best brands in the market. Mines a Seasonic S12II-520 watt.

It was 60 euro on hardwareversand when I bought it 4 months ago. Don't know the reason for the price increase but it's still a great PSU.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

What languages with Visual Studio? Reason I ask is that for big builds on C++, Visual Studio uses all available cores, so the i5 will give you 4 simultaneous threads. For the similar money, you could get a 4ghz 8 core AMD Vishera which will be much faster than the i5 on multi-threaded work. Only thing to watch with this CPU is that you really need a decent CPU fan if you're running all cores for long periods of time. Following some advice here, I went for a Coolmaster Hyper 121 evo which seems to do the job nicely.

A good i7 build will be faster again than the AMD on both multi-threaded and single core apps, but pushes the price up a fair bit. For development work I find I hit the disk a lot, and wouldn't consider anything other than an SSD as my main working drive. Those hybrid drives don't really cut it for write heavy applications.

Advertisement